[XR500] Wifi not showing?

Not sure where to post this, but here's my situation.

I got new cable tv services activated from my internet provider Spectrum, and I come home to my XR500 not showing the Wifi signal anymore. I don't know what really caused this, but so far I've tried:

Resetting modem and router at the same time

I tried resetting my XR500 using the reset button for 30 seconds, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I notice the USB light is on, but nothing is inside the USB slot.

I used ethernet cable from my XR500 to my laptop and that works, but when I try entering routerlogin.net it says I'm not connected? Otherwise every other site seems to work.

I tried my R1, everything works fine when I switched routers.

Any clues here? I'm actually wondering why the router is not resetting itself when I hold the reset button down for 30 seconds since this always works for me. I'm still not sure why the wifi 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz light won't turn on, it's strange. Oh, and I also tried pressing the button on top and holding the wifi button for 2 seconds to see if it would turn on and no luck, it did nothing lol

Hold the reset for one and half mins, that’s what Netgear support had me do lost my 2.4 channels. Never made a difference though. I had also gone through the reinstall the earlier firmware then update to latest, reset, nothing made a difference.

im taking it you use a WiFi sniffer like Wi-fi explorer or one of the many to check there’s no Wi-fi being broadcast.

if a reset fails and it’s acting up I would contact Netgear Support and start the RMA procedure. 

On 2/5/2020 at 1:16 AM, Newfie said:

Hold the reset for one and half mins, that’s what Netgear support had me do lost my 2.4 channels. Never made a difference though. I had also gone through the reinstall the earlier firmware then update to latest, reset, nothing made a difference.

im taking it you use a WiFi sniffer like Wi-fi explorer or one of the many to check there’s no Wi-fi being broadcast.

if a reset fails and it’s acting up I would contact Netgear Support and start the RMA procedure. 

I may have to go for this one right here, and yeah it's like you said even the reset button is not working for 1 min 30 seconds, no wifi is just being broadcast, but ethernet works to my laptop, but I am unable to get to the routerlogin.net website/interface login.

23 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

If you can get to the interface through ethernet, you could try going to Settings > Advanced Settings > Advanced Wireless and checking whether wireless has been disabled here.

I have connection through ethernet and every site works, but for some strange odd reason it will not allow me to go to the routerlogin.net interface/website. The reset button is not even working!

Guest Killhippie
17 minutes ago, Tai N said:

I may have to go for this one right here, and yeah it's like you said even the reset button is not working for 1 min 30 seconds, no wifi is just being broadcast, but ethernet works to my laptop, but I am unable to get to the routerlogin.net website/interface login.

I have connection through ethernet and every site works, but for some strange odd reason it will not allow me to go to the routerlogin.net interface/website. The reset button is not even working!

Contact Netgear and go though the RMA procedure, or if its within a time period you can still return the router where you live and without penalty do that and get a new unit. Either way it sounds like hardware.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:18 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

If you can't access using routerlogin.net can you try when connected to ethernet to use the LAN IP instead and do a reset from there? Usually 192.168.1.1.

Tried in this small video made here, did not work I'm afraid. Did I do it right?

On 2/6/2020 at 5:54 AM, Killhippie said:

Contact Netgear and go though the RMA procedure, or if its within a time period you can still return the router where you live and without penalty do that and get a new unit. Either way it sounds like hardware.

I purchased this router last year I think, would the RMA procedure still work?

On 2/5/2020 at 5:58 AM, Netduma Alex said:

If you can get to the interface through ethernet, you could try going to Settings > Advanced Settings > Advanced Wireless and checking whether wireless has been disabled here.

I appreciate the help, and that was my plan originally. May you check to see if I did everything right in this video?

Edited by Tai N
Sorry for the double post, can't seem to edit my last post to enter another quote

• Administrators

You did everything right in the video. If you open a command prompt on the PC connected to the router and do type ipconfig and then press enter what does the gateway IP show? If it is anything other than 191.168.1.1 can you try to access using that IP please?

If the above doesn't result in anything then I believe I've seen the lights like that before and I think what you'll need to do is follow this guide very carefully in order to reinstall the firmware on to the router https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

• 5 months later...

Fraser, thanks for the sharing. I had the very same problem with mine XR500, but now it's solved. TBH I wasn't able to solve this problem on my own and it's quite embarrassing. Because I'm a future Cisco certified engineer. I'm preparing myself for the exam on this. After I will pass it, I will become a certified expert. But before that... maybe you can tell me where to find more information about networks? I feel that my knowledge isn't perfect yet. Even tough I work with a company who helps me to prepare myself in the future, I can't do some small things. if somebody is interested I can share these nice guys. spotoclub.com

• Administrators
4 hours ago, ImmortalOne said:

Fraser, thanks for the sharing. I had the very same problem with mine XR500, but now it's solved. TBH I wasn't able to solve this problem on my own and it's quite embarrassing. Because I'm a future Cisco certified engineer. I'm preparing myself for the exam on this. After I will pass it, I will become a certified expert. But before that... maybe you can tell me where to find more information about networks? I feel that my knowledge isn't perfect yet.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

No need to be embarrassed. There is a good book called Computer Networks Fifth Edition by Tanenbaum and Weatherall. It's a bit dry of a read and long at like 800 pages but will definitely help.