Lag spikes when streaming

juitz

Hello,

I've been experiencing some significant lag spikes when streaming from Netflix/Amazon/NowTV, etc. 

Playing COD Blackops4 on PS4 and looking at the built in ping meter, my ping goes from 30ms to above 200ms which makes the game unplayable. 

I've tried numerous settings on the DumaOS but no success. Currently have Anti-Buffer float as "Always" and bandwidth sliders set to 70%. Bandwith speeds are correct. Also tried, unchecking "share excess" and messing around with the download/upload distribution. 

Looking at the built in network monitor graph, when streaming download speeds tend to go from 2-3Mbps then spike to above 40Mbps (at about the same rate as the lag I'm experiencing), so not sure if how QoS is stopping the streaming service from taking all bandwidth?. Traffic Prioritisation Informations shows zero download packets, only upload packets? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm currently using an ethernet over power adapter but have tried via direct Lan cable and over WiFi.

The ping isn't so much an issue, it's the spiking that is a problem. Depending on the server it will be at 30 to 60ms if no one is streaming. As soon as someone in the house starts streaming, the ping will periodically spike (every 5secs or so) to above 200ms.

Looking at the network monitor on the dumaos interface during streamin, im sitting at around 3-5mbps then will see a spike to 40-50mbps, which I believe coincides with the ping spikes.

Internet connection is fibre 80up/20down and have had three BT engineer visits to check the line and speed and they have confirmed those speeds.

I will check ping on dumaos when I get home tonight.

Update: checked ping on Geo-Filter page on COD BO4 Blackout. One game was at 16-17ms and the other at 24ms when not streaming. On both occasions as soon as I start streaming i get ping spikes to about 150ms every 5 seconds or so.

• Administrators

Are you using a BT Hub > R1? Are ALL devices connected to the R1 or are some still connected to the hub? If they're connected to the hub then the R1 can't effectively control the connection, if they all connect to the R1 then that will help. The streaming is it done from a smart TV or Firestick? Do you use PPPoE with BT (i.e. it requires login details to connect that you've entered into the R1 settings)?

Thats correct BT to R1, nothing else connected to the BT hub (WiFi is off).

I use a Roku stick over WiFi but see the same issue when streaming on my phone, tablet or laptop. Also happens when connected via Lan (well usb to ethernet) on my MacBook. 

Not using pppoe on the hub.

• Administrators

So you don't have PPPoE into R1 settings? As that could be a reason why it's not working correctly. 70% likely isn't the best for your connection. Saturate your connection with downloads/streams etc while following this guide and try different percentages to see what keeps the ping as low/stable as possible and then with those settings you shouldn't have any issues. If it's a really low percentage then recommend you set it to 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

You are most likely experiencing the same issue I & many others are having with BT, EE & Plusnet (BT Network) with prioritizing streaming/video content.

There's a 72 page thread on the BT forums of people complaining of high latency spikes whenever there's someone streaming video content.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Recent-online-gaming-ping-spikes-when-streaming-Netflix/td-p/1930963 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/customers-of-uk-isp-bt-see-multiplayer-lag-spikes-during-streaming.html

Login into the BT Forums & ask a mod in the thread linked above about applying a "Fix" to your connection - Some people have had success & some others not so much.

Sadly I'm with EE & they don't acknowledge this been a issue & don't guarantee ping..... -_-  

The R1 is set to DHCP - should I be using PPPoE? 

I've downloaded Pingplotter and tried as you suggested. Had to set download slider all the way down to about 15% (~10Mbps) before latency plot generally stabilised below 50ms (base is around 20ms) but still had some spikes above 50ms.

Otherwise, when streaming getting regular spikes above 100ms.

59 minutes ago, He4DHuNt3r_XIM said:

You are most likely experiencing the same issue I & many others are having with BT, EE & Plusnet (BT Network) with prioritizing streaming/video content.

There's a 72 page thread on the BT forums of people complaining of high latency spikes whenever there's someone streaming video content.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Recent-online-gaming-ping-spikes-when-streaming-Netflix/td-p/1930963 

Scanned through the thread and it's worrisome that it was started March 2019 and there still doesn't seem to be a fix. Will keep trying with the Duma but will also start exploring options on the BT side.

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, juitz said:

The R1 is set to DHCP - should I be using PPPoE? 

I've downloaded Pingplotter and tried as you suggested. Had to set download slider all the way down to about 15% (~10Mbps) before latency plot generally stabilised below 50ms (base is around 20ms) but still had some spikes above 50ms.

Otherwise, when streaming getting regular spikes above 100ms.

No no that's fine, we can rule that out as a cause. I'd keep it on that percentage but only with 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' to ensure you don't throttle yourself when it's not needed. Are all your other QoS settings default? Have you done any manual port forwarding or anything like that?

BT Hubs do use PPPoE, you just can't see the settings because it's all done behind the scenes.

It's possible that this issue is being caused by something the ISP is doing on their end. Some ISPs prioritize streaming video to the detriment of everything else.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:06 AM, juitz said:

Hello,

I've been experiencing some significant lag spikes when streaming from Netflix/Amazon/NowTV, etc. 

Playing COD Blackops4 on PS4 and looking at the built in ping meter, my ping goes from 30ms to above 200ms which makes the game unplayable. 

I've tried numerous settings on the DumaOS but no success. Currently have Anti-Buffer float as "Always" and bandwidth sliders set to 70%. Bandwith speeds are correct. Also tried, unchecking "share excess" and messing around with the download/upload distribution. 

Looking at the built in network monitor graph, when streaming download speeds tend to go from 2-3Mbps then spike to above 40Mbps (at about the same rate as the lag I'm experiencing), so not sure if how QoS is stopping the streaming service from taking all bandwidth?. Traffic Prioritisation Informations shows zero download packets, only upload packets? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

are you a xbox preview / insider member?