Bufferbloat issues and others.

Knomax

Hi first of all English it is not my familiar language but i think you will understand me.

I have my ISP modem/router in bridge mode and my R1 makes the PPPOE connection...First question...is it better R1 makes the connection via PPPOE or it is better ISP modem/router take care of connection and put in DMZ the R1 and works as DHCP?My speeds isn't big...10000kbps (10Mbps) for download and 1024kbps (1Mbps) for upload...truly i take about 9000kbps (9Mbps) for download and 840kbps (0,8Mbps) for upload.

I run DumaOS in R1 and i put my truly speeds taken from speedtest.net with server from my country (Greece CosmoteSA)....So i put 9Mbps for download and 0,8Mbps for upload and i check "Goodput"...In "anti-bufferbloat" i check "Always" ....i start to "play" download and upload bars to find the sweet spot for bufferbloat....i start with 70/70% as suggested...triple "D"...i increase it but whatever % i try,the best i get in bufferbloat test via dslreports was "B"....!!!!!!Another problem is that when i put download bar etc. 70%...80% i still getting full speed in download (9Mbps) doesn't work at all..broken.

I don't know what algorithm you use for QOS..i understand that it is "in-house" algorithm made by you and you can't tell more informations...but i have a TP-Link WR1043nd V3 running Gargoyle firmware...i make to it 3 classes and rules for my PS4 to take care packets smaller than 128bytes in first class..in second class bytes smaller than 512bytes....the rest in "Bulk" class....easy triple "A" in dsl reports.

The same results when i run in same router Openwrt with cake algorithm and piece of cake script...again easy triple "A'.

I have also Ubiquity Edgerouter X with "Smart Queue" it uses FQ-codel with settings to configure better etc. queue length....again easy triple "A".

So i think it is not my connection that has the "problem" but maybe the algorithm you use doesn't do the "things" well in slow connections or keep the packets to many time and create bufferbloat.

I forget to mention that already factory reset 3 times the router to be sure with the settings.

Another problem is that i enable UPNP..i launch modern warfare....nat type "Moderate" not Open....and in UPNP tab in interface none port ar opened..it shows nothing!!!!

In GEO FILTER...

When i launch modern warfare this is the servers that appears...

mv5JQfL.png

The big red cycle of course is my location.

I start with ping assist at 50ms it connects me in dedicated servers but it doesn't show in which one i am connected...i see only my location cycle...when game starts auto ping shows that the server i am connected is etc 65ms but i set ping assist at 50ms....i think ping assist will prevent connecting me in that server...right?Why this is happening..i try it again and again.

Then i move my location in servers i mention in photo with red cycle...first Spanish server..strict mode on...good games with good TTK better than ping assist games.

Then i move my location in Italian server..the other red cycle..strict mode on...good games with better TTK than spanish server..much better than ping assist games.

Then i put my location in server with green cycle..strict mode on....bad....very bad..it is likely i am behind others 5 seconds minimum...a hole magazine in the back of enemy and still running!!!!

Then my location in servers with blue cycle..strict mode on...smoth player movement but not very good TTK as Italian or Spanish.

The other 2 servers in yellow i didn't have time to test them yesterday but i think they will not play well because of distance from my true location.

Sooo what settings i must use to have very goods games...i am thinking for low TTK i see killcams and many players they are not accurate..just shoot and they have great hit registration...from 20 bullets fired..2-3 bullets hit enemy and just die...or with one magazine they can kill 3-4 enemys because they don't spend bullets to kill someone...great hit registration....i believe you understan what i say.

In QOS i use these..

NDykApl.png

They are make difference...and use settings by "East" post...now....bars at 100%..."never" anti-bufferbloat...share excess unticked both download and upload...and give PS4 70% of connection...

*I can't use ping plotter..my pc's running MX Linux.

Thank you and i hope to give me some solutions to use anti-bufferbloat without problems and find the "sweet spot" with settings etc Geo Filter to have parfect games or close to perfect like previous cod's.

What I would do in your case is use your TP Link or ER-X routers and let them handle your internet traffic. CAKE works really well against bufferbloat, and FQ_CoDeL as well.

TP-Link probably also has better wifi, the wifi on the R1 is kinda outdated.

Then just set your R1 in DMZ at either of those 2 routers and connect your PS4 to the R1. Set bandwidth sliders to 100% and turn off QoS. That way you just use it as a geofilter.

There is an issue with running PPPoE on these routers as well, they are not the best for that. So running the TP Link router and the R1 behind that is your best setup.

I am running Gargoyle in TP-LINK right now because i can set to prioritize these ports..

NDykApl.png

To specific ip..Gargoyle supports DMZ...i will give IP for R1 out of DHCP range of Gargoyle to prevent double nat.

Cake in Openwrt it is really does very good job with bufferbloat but you can't prioritize these ports unless you make specific ip tables rules to change DSCP marks for these packets and fall in "layer cake" script to prioritize them i try it with not good results as i expected...the same for edgerouter ...you can't just prioritize these ports unless you create rules...much complicated for me..it uses Vyatta.

So the best choice for now is Gargoyle....to prioritize these ports for R1...but if i disable QOS will these packets prioritized in R1?I think yes..only PS4 will be connected to R1.

In  bandwidth i must put speed's when qos is off?In  bandwidth allocation?

• Administrators

Yes it better to have your ISP router handle PPPoE as PPPoE on the R1 doesn't work well with QoS which has led to some of the issues you have seen. Also DSLReports is not an accurate way of testing your bufferbloat as it doesn't saturate your connection and that is when bufferbloat happens. I would recommend you follow this guide while saturating your connection doing downloads/streams etc and try different Anti-Bufferbloat percentages to see what keeps the ping as low and stable as possible (after R1 no longer uses PPPoE)  http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Ping assist can get games above the limit if it first pinged the server and it was under your limit. If you unzoomed the map you would probably see the server. You've already found servers you have good experiences on so just force them all the time.

1 hour ago, Knomax said:

I am running Gargoyle in TP-LINK right now because i can set to prioritize these ports..

NDykApl.png

To specific ip..Gargoyle supports DMZ...i will give IP for R1 out of DHCP range of Gargoyle to prevent double nat.

Cake in Openwrt it is really does very good job with bufferbloat but you can't prioritize these ports unless you make specific ip tables rules to change DSCP marks for these packets and fall in "layer cake" script to prioritize them i try it with not good results as i expected...the same for edgerouter ...you can't just prioritize these ports unless you create rules...much complicated for me..it uses Vyatta.

So the best choice for now is Gargoyle....to prioritize these ports for R1...but if i disable QOS will these packets prioritized in R1?I think yes..only PS4 will be connected to R1.

In  bandwidth i must put speed's when qos is off?In  bandwidth allocation?

You can set prioritization on your R1 but it won't do much in reality since only your PS4 is connected.

When I ran my R1 in cascade with another router I just set the bandwith limits to 1000/1000, Super turbo mode on. And then let your other router handle whatever QoS you want to run for the rest of your network. I just used it as a Geofilter, nothing else.

Not using port prioritization is the whole point of Cake and FQ_Codel. It's basicly a algorithm that favors small realtime packets and doesn't differentiate between sources. If you want to use port prioritization you probably need to run PFIFO. 

When it comes to UPnP, you have the same problem as me. You have to undo the software to the Original software and enable UPnP there, then update to Duma OS with the "save settings" option selected. The same applies to the DNS setting, you must set it on the Original software and update to DumaOS for them to work. I hope these two problems are fixed in Duma OS 3.0.