Xr500 rubber banding

Having issues with my xr500, updated to the latest firmware .56 but i had problems signing in the router so i downgraded to .40 and did a factory reset, and now i'm rubber banding on call of duty, i'm sure its the xr500 because when i swapped to my asus router im not experiencing the issue.

Im not sure what to do anymore so i would appreciate it if someone can help me with this dilemma.

Settings;

Xr500 firmware V2.3.2.40

Isp speed - 75 down, 7.5 up

Qos Abb - 70% both

Geo filter radius 1,000

Ping assist - 50

Location - Calgary, AB, Canada

• Administrators

You can upgrade back to .56 now so I would try that first and then see if the issue is resolved. What is the ping you're getting to the game shown by the Geo-Filter as well when you're getting this issue? What is your physical setup? E.g. ISP modem > XR500

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can upgrade back to .56 now so I would try that first and then see if the issue is resolved. What is the ping you're getting to the game shown by the Geo-Filter as well when you're getting this issue? What is your physical setup? E.g. ISP modem > XR500

Thanks Netduma Fraser, i will be doing that once i get back home, i will be linking a video for now so you can see the rubber banding issue i'm having.

Physical set up,

Modem: Hitron model: CGNM-2250 > XR500 > via WiFi 2.4g PS4

XR500's wifi is pretty good, try putting it on 5GHz. But really a wired connection is much better. It also depends where your PS4 is in the house in relation to the router. If they are next to eachother for example wifi works much better, but if it's on the other end of the house you can get a dodgy signal.

Make sure the PS4 is set in QoS under the QoS tab.

That skipping you see is also visible in the killcam. You have packetloss to the server. The lag compensation model in Call of Duty games is mostly client authoritative. That means it allows you to move and the server tracks your inputs & extrapolates a few updates. But if there is dataloss to the server, the servers prediction and your client's path get out of sync too much and the server resets your place to where it thinks you should be. 

2 hours ago, Bert said:

XR500's wifi is pretty good, try putting it on 5GHz. But really a wired connection is much better. It also depends where your PS4 is in the house in relation to the router. If they are next to eachother for example wifi works much better, but if it's on the other end of the house you can get a dodgy signal.

Make sure the PS4 is set in QoS under the QoS tab.

That skipping you see is also visible in the killcam. You have packetloss to the server. The lag compensation model in Call of Duty games is mostly client authoritative. That means it allows you to move and the server tracks your inputs & extrapolates a few updates. But if there is dataloss to the server, the servers prediction and your client's path get out of sync too much and the server resets your place to where it thinks you should be. 

My PS4 is old and do not have 5g option, i would really like to have a wired connection but it will be a long cable going to my room so i gave up on that option as well, i thought that putting the PS4 on Qos Traffic prioritization will only confuse the router, i read it somewhere in the forums threads here and if so can somebody give some insight in this, thank you for your suggestions Bert.

You only have 7.5 Mbit upload.

So if somebody has a phone that's syncing to the cloud or whatever it can already cause issues for you.

QoS isn't that necessary if you have 100+ mbit upload but 7.5 is a tad on the low side depending if you have a lot of people using it. If you choke that to 70% you have 5.25 Mbit left. So you really want to use QoS in this case.

Also if you run QoS you can set your anti bufferbloat to be only active when priority traffic is detected, so you won't loose any bandwidth when the PS4 is off. Most guys here set specific ports for CoD but if you don't want to make it too complicated, just use PS4 and use PSN or what the setting is called. It automaticly prioritizes UDP traffic from your PS4.

You could also give powerline adapters a try if ethernet cable is not an option.

If it has to be 2.4GHz wifi, you can try tweaking that as well with different channels and disabling 20/40 MHz coexistence.

Also make sure you do the pingplotter test, and see which anti bufferbloat percentage gives you the best line. Some connections are more sensitive to others. Like there is no reason for you to run 70% if say 90% gives good results. That saves you some more bandwith.

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As per Netduma Fraser's instruction, i have re downloaded and updated my Xr500 to the latest version, it seems like that did the trick somehow, everything was working good like before i downgraded to firmware .40, does this mean i cannot downgrade firmware anymore?, and also why did the Xr500 behaved like that? i would like to know for future reference, Thank you for the help.

27 minutes ago, Bert said:

You only have 7.5 Mbit upload.

So if somebody has a phone that's syncing to the cloud or whatever it can already cause issues for you.

QoS isn't that necessary if you have 100+ mbit upload but 7.5 is a tad on the low side depending if you have a lot of people using it. If you choke that to 70% you have 5.25 Mbit left. So you really want to use QoS in this case.

Also if you run QoS you can set your anti bufferbloat to be only active when priority traffic is detected, so you won't loose any bandwidth when the PS4 is off. Most guys here set specific ports for CoD but if you don't want to make it too complicated, just use PS4 and use PSN or what the setting is called. It automaticly prioritizes UDP traffic from your PS4.

You could also give powerline adapters a try if ethernet cable is not an option.

If it has to be 2.4GHz wifi, you can try tweaking that as well with different channels and disabling 20/40 MHz coexistence.

Also make sure you do the pingplotter test, and see which anti bufferbloat percentage gives you the best line. Some connections are more sensitive to others. Like there is no reason for you to run 70% if say 90% gives good results. That saves you some more bandwith.

Thank you for the recommendation Bert, i will be experimenting base on your suggestion!

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's great to hear the update fixed it. You should only really downgrade if there are particular issues with the current version that prevent you staying on it.

Yes it's good that it's fixed, i only downgraded to .40 because i cannot access the dashboard when i need to change some settings and some Xr500 users apparently have brought this to dev's attention, i'm not really following the threads so i was wondering if this was fixed?, thanks again!.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, jongc said:

Yes it's good that it's fixed, i only downgraded to .40 because i cannot access the dashboard when i need to change some settings and some Xr500 users apparently have brought this to dev's attention, i'm not really following the threads so i was wondering if this was fixed?, thanks again!.

Yes that was fixed on the same night, so it's fine to be back on .56 now. You were right to downgrade when you had that issue so that was one of the times it was a good idea to do so.

• 1 year later...

It seems that after updating the xr500 to the latest firmware V2.3.2.130, I have noticed a significant amount of rubberbanding again, I tried downgrading the firmware to .144 but it's pretty much the same dilemma that happened to firmware V2.3.2.56, devs please help.

I have a video below for reference.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the ping difference between in game and the Geo-Filter? Are you playing during peak times? If you play at other times do you notice it as much? What QoS settings are you using currently?

- it ranges from 50 to 70 but every 2 to 5 seconds it shoots up to 999 which is weird

- the video was captured at midnight, 01:00 mountain time usa/can, it’s much worse at peak time

- Isp speed 150d / 15u, QOS 70% both

- I can confirm that it’s the new firmware is the problem because my 2 friends who have the same router didn’t upgrade yet and doesn’t have this issue and when I switch to the netgear r8000, I don’t get this issue

• Administrators

The ping is quite a lot higher than the Geo-Filter so likely the server is under load and you would probably get a better experience forcing another server. The fact it's worse during peak time does suggest that as well. You may be connecting to a different server between tries on other firmware/routers, no one connection is the same so hard to compare

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The ping is quite a lot higher than the Geo-Filter so likely the server is under load and you would probably get a better experience forcing another server. The fact it's worse during peak time does suggest that as well. You may be connecting to a different server between tries on other firmware/routers, no one connection is the same so hard to compare

The videos I posted is with geo filter off/spectate, sorry I forgot to mention that, I always have it off because when I play mw19 with it on I get packet burst and with it off then I get minimal to no packet burst

• Administrators

You got packet burst in that last video so I don't think that will be related to the Geo-Filter being on, you're also then connecting to whatever server it wants to put you on, try it on and see where the closest servers around you are and try playing on a few different ones to see which plays best.

This video is with the netgear r8000, it has little to no packet burst or latency, just captured right now 11:00 mountain time us/ca

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You got packet burst in that last video so I don't think that will be related to the Geo-Filter being on, you're also then connecting to whatever server it wants to put you on, try it on and see where the closest servers around you are and try playing on a few different ones to see which plays best.

The problem that I am having right now have a similar symptoms that I got when I upgraded to .56 back then, if I may kindly ask the netduma team to take a look at this issue, it might be a quick fix just like how they fixed the .56 version, here’s one hoping that it is. 😊

• Administrators

There is nothing specific on the .56 version that would have resolved this and it's not something we can simply look into as given the information you've provided it could very well be the server. You won't necessarily play on the same servers on each router, you might be on a closer one or one further away for example. Do try forcing different servers and see if it changes

Since I have showed you the video of what I am experiencing, I would like to explain further on what I did when testing the xr500.

It began after I upgraded the firmware to .130 that I mentioned, after noticing the ping spikes to 999 every 3 to 5 seconds I already knew that there's something wrong with the firmware upgrade, my only option was to downgrade to the previous firmware which is firmware .144.

After downgrading I immediately erased to factory default setting so that any errors will be erased, and I started testing again and unfortunately I have the same results in every game I join in which is weird because I am accompanied while playing with my 2 friends that have the same router xr500 with .144 and have the same 1st gen ps4 and yet they say that they are not encountering the issue I am experiencing.

I further downgraded the firmware to .56, erased to factory default and began my testing, only finding out that it's the same issue.

things I need to mention;
- all firmware upgrade and downgrade are erased to factory default settings after the process
- tested with geo filter on (V .130, .114 & .56) = same result [rubber banding]
- also tested with geo filter off after restarting the router and ps4 (V .130, .144 & .56) = same result [rubber banding]
- also tested with congestion control on and off with the same procedure as geo filter (V .130, .114 & .56) = same result [rubber banding]
- tested again using v .130 hoping it might fix it = same result [rubber banding]
- all tests are done with 6 games in each total

This was not an issue to me when I was at v .144, at this point I ran out of options but to reach out to the netduma team, please advise, thank you in advance.

• Administrators

If it wasn't previously an issue on a firmware but now is a problem on that one then it is not a firmware specific issue and therefore something that could have changed in your setup e.g. more devices have been added in which case QoS settings that worked before may need to be tweaked now. So you have forced different servers using the Geo-Filter and you get it on every single server?