when are you going to update the standard firmware ?

I would like to know if you are going to update the Neduma original firmware (not Duma OS) because now it is dated as it has no profiles for the new games just released.  I tried to use the new Duma OS but it is simply unsuitable, ping goes up and performance is poor, it's slow, and can't be easily controlled by the iPhone because the interface is also bad, chaotic and complicated.  So I downgraded to the official version.  Also because I have friends who ask me if it is profitable to buy the R1 now, and nobody wants to spend too much money to buy the newer Router that is powerful but also very expensive, instead the R1 if only the software were optimized could be a product  still valid to buy by calculating that it is cheap.

I think you should do an update that aims to stabilize, fix bugs, and simplify rather than introduce too many new features.  For example, calculating that the VPN function is useless and that nobody would use it since it slows down gaming a lot.  Simple is better (apple teaches this) better a simple thing that works smoothly and smoothly than a complicated and cumbersome thing.

Moreover it would be the case to add customized profiles also for Hyoer traffic.  '' xbox general gaming '' is very generic, for example I would like the Hyper traffic to only concern Halo 5 gaming, not chat, not downloading material, not streaming, not invitations, or anything but just  Halo 5 gaming, the main purpose of Netduma is to improve K / D so it should be more specific about gaming functions.

• Administrators

Unfortunately we won't be doing this. The issue with the original firmware and the reason why we went with making our own router operating system is because it was very hard to develop on and could take ages to develop any new features and was very hard to pin down where bugs originated.

A few questions regarding your use of DumaOS:

What do you mean by the ping goes up and the performance is poor?
Are you saying the interface is slow? - Are you using Google Chrome and have you cleared your cache/cookies?
For both firmware we haven't optimised the interface for mobile but we are developing an app. If you collapse the main menu this may make it easier for you.
What's bad, chaotic and complicated about the interface? We designed it to be user friendly with ? help icons on every single panel telling you about the feature.

We can use your feedback to improve the router.

19 hours ago, el1t3k said:

I would like to know if you are going to update the Neduma original firmware (not Duma OS) because now it is dated as it has no profiles for the new games just released.  I tried to use the new Duma OS but it is simply unsuitable, ping goes up and performance is poor, it's slow, and can't be easily controlled by the iPhone because the interface is also bad, chaotic and complicated.  So I downgraded to the official version.  Also because I have friends who ask me if it is profitable to buy the R1 now, and nobody wants to spend too much money to buy the newer Router that is powerful but also very expensive, instead the R1 if only the software were optimized could be a product  still valid to buy by calculating that it is cheap.

I think you should do an update that aims to stabilize, fix bugs, and simplify rather than introduce too many new features.  For example, calculating that the VPN function is useless and that nobody would use it since it slows down gaming a lot.  Simple is better (apple teaches this) better a simple thing that works smoothly and smoothly than a complicated and cumbersome thing.

Simple is better (apple teaches this) better a simple thing that works smoothly and smoothly than a complicated and cumbersome thing. Amen to that brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Unfortunately we won't be doing this. The issue with the original firmware and the reason why we went with making our own router operating system is because it was very hard to develop on and could take ages to develop any new features and was very hard to pin down where bugs originated.

A few questions regarding your use of DumaOS:

What do you mean by the ping goes up and the performance is poor?
Are you saying the interface is slow? - Are you using Google Chrome and have you cleared your cache/cookies?
For both firmware we haven't optimised the interface for mobile but we are developing an app. If you collapse the main menu this may make it easier for you.
What's bad, chaotic and complicated about the interface? We designed it to be user friendly with ? help icons on every single panel telling you about the feature.

We can use your feedback to improve the router.

Honestly, what el1t3k makes a ton of sense. It would be nice to have a simpler (which is basically is) smoother running(which it's touch and go. Yes my home network is fine but gaming wise I feel like I'm a step behind everyone). Meaning just study what the new games and most popular titles are doing and how to make our be able to give us smoother gameplay. I love the new features set to come out but with the amount of time I've spent on pingplotter to get my ping as solid as it can get my gameplay doesn't really reflect at all. I almost feel like I play better on wifi. I have that suck at the game I play blackout that play on wifi and have better hit detection than me. The ole r1 actually ran better in my opinion (of course there wasn't servers back then is p2p) But I feel like all I had to do back in the day was move the sliders a little here and there to find the sweet spot and boom back in business. 

• Administrators

I think it's important to note that ultimately the purpose for QoS is to eliminate local congestion, now if it's doing that and your ping is stable despite many devices using bandwidth then it's achieved its' purpose. The Geo-Filter is designed to allow you the choice of what servers to pick and to pick the servers closest to you. If it's achieving that then it's achieved its' purpose. The idea is to make your connection as good as possible and to do that you go off the stats e.g. ping, jitter etc. To go one step further and try and solve people's feelings of how the game is playing may be out of our wheelhouse as that is more of the games' territory. Regardless the developers will always be looking to optimise performance so if there is something that can be done then it will be.

I just think the Duma OS GUI is catastrophic. I don't like having everything on one page with a customizable gui. I really prefer the GUI of the netDuma original firmware. Moreover the GUI of the duma os is unusable from the iPhone and is inconvenient also because the page is so large that some parameters cannot be changed, it is simply not optimized for mobile devices. Furthermore the system is very slow, it is clear that the Duma OS load for R1 is totally excessive and making this OS available for R1 is an error. Regarding PING: it increased by about 5-10 ms using the netduma OS compared to the netduma original firmware, an imperceptible difference that makes a difference in games like Halo at the champ level.I just think you should take care of the R1 router, because it takes the medium-low range of customers. I think it is a mistake to stop the development of the R1 firmware to devote to a firmware suitable only for the very high end device.

• Administrators

Are you referring to the dashboard feature? You don't have to use that feature if you don't want to but essentially the layout is still the same - left menu and then the individual features are just split up into panels instead of not being split on the original. As I say, it was never optimised for the original firmware either but you can collapse the menu on DumaOS using the 3 line icon at the top of the page which would make it easier. Slow in what way? It should be as fast. Upgrading the firmware wouldn't change the ping, you'll likely need to re-adjust your QoS settings as it doesn't have the algorithms anymore.

Both firmwares were an operating system, the original was built on top of one and DumaOS was built for our purposes and was always developed on the R1 so it's perfectly capable of handling the router specs. It's about breathing life into old hardware. I appreciate that it's not your cup of tea so to speak but we're not going to continue developing a firmware that is difficult to develop for that pigeonholes us when we have software that allows us to bring loads of different features never before seen.

On 11/17/2019 at 5:06 AM, el1t3k said:

I just think the Duma OS GUI is catastrophic. I don't like having everything on one page with a customizable gui. I really prefer the GUI of the netDuma original firmware. Moreover the GUI of the duma os is unusable from the iPhone and is inconvenient also because the page is so large that some parameters cannot be changed, it is simply not optimized for mobile devices. Furthermore the system is very slow, it is clear that the Duma OS load for R1 is totally excessive and making this OS available for R1 is an error. Regarding PING: it increased by about 5-10 ms using the netduma OS compared to the netduma original firmware, an imperceptible difference that makes a difference in games like Halo at the champ level.I just think you should take care of the R1 router, because it takes the medium-low range of customers. I think it is a mistake to stop the development of the R1 firmware to devote to a firmware suitable only for the very high end device.

It's true that the DumaOS interface isn't optimized for mobile currently, and that is a problem we're working on. We have an iPhone/Android app in development.

The R1 was originally released in 2014, so 5 years later I think it's not surprising that it begins to struggle a bit with modern updates. We're still committed to updating DumaOS for the R1 and making it as optimized as possible. The R1 has received many more updates that most routers ever receive, and will continue to receive updates. Compared to many other routers, I think this represents a good value to the consumer.

One of the key advantages of DumaOS is it's portability. We can put it on multiple devices and create updates that will be compatible with all of those devices. The original R1 firmware was very hardware specific and would have tied us down to the R1. DumaOS has allowed us to expand onto NETGEAR routers, so if we were to put time into updating the original R1 firmware, we'd be leaving our NETGEAR customers by the wayside, which is something we don't want to do.

I understand your frustrations with DumaOS right now, especially if there are bugs that don't exist in the original firmware, but the DumaOS 3.0 update is going to contain many new features and bug fixes. I think you'll see why it was worth putting our time into it.