XR300 QoS help

@Philace866 my recommendation is not to purchase the XR500. I have the XR500 and the QoS doesn't operate correctly on it either. The XR300 you have should be more then capable of operating the QoS. The issue your having is the same as im having. And to be fair others have had also. I have no idea why this is happening. But I can say in my case the Anti Buffer Bloat does not work for me at all. If I hook my ASUS ROG back up I can manage my QoS better then my XR500.. My XR500 struggles to do anything correctly. And to be honest when I do run my XR500 with QoS enabled my connection is worse.. Ive tried everything under the sun with no luck! The only reason im posting here is just to give you my experiences as well.. You can try what Netduma says but just be careful not to chase down to many rabbit holes and get frustrated when the issue is very likely firmware related. Meaning there is nothing you can do until a new firmware release is available to try. And even that is likely to be iffy.. Good luck!

Zippy.

• Administrators

@Philace866 you said the issue occurs streaming Netflix through SkyQ, does that mean the device is connected to your ISP hub instead of the XR?

In general are your connection types using PPPoE, VLAN or IPv6 at all?

When doing the tests or when the issue happens do High Priority packets update rapidly?

Do you have WMM enabled in Advanced WiFi settings?

I’m currently dsl-openreach modem-ethernet-xr router 

PPPoE is my only option and the only router I have is my isp modem router which doesn’t have bridge mode 

also I’ve tried two different modems to eliminate that being the problem

when I use the isp modem router my ping is better than the xr 

• Administrators

Changing the modem wouldn't resolve that as you would still need to use PPPoE on the router connected to the modem. Would it be possible to purchase a cheap router (even just to return it after) to handle PPPoE and check if thats the cause?

Does anyone have any other ideas why my ping plotter tests are not the same as what should be in the guide that has been previously posted? I am also on PPPoE I am not using my isp router as it was rubbish so I use a TP-Link W8890 as just a Modem and my Xr300 as my main router. I do also notice on pingplotter even just opening up YouTube my ping shoots up is that normal? 

Thanks 

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Taylordrift21 said:

Does anyone have any other ideas why my ping plotter tests are not the same as what should be in the guide that has been previously posted? I am also on PPPoE I am not using my isp router as it was rubbish so I use a TP-Link W8890 as just a Modem and my Xr300 as my main router. I do also notice on pingplotter even just opening up YouTube my ping shoots up is that normal? 

Thanks 

That sounds like PPPoE as the XR is handling PPPoE and so QoS is not being as effective. Same suggestion, would you be able to try a different router between the TP and XR to handle PPPoE and then see if it works properly on the XR?

I tried that today but it’s way to complicated for me so I gave up! I’ve now set my bufferbloat to 50/50 and given my PS4 nearly all my connection,also had to switch the Netflix stream to the lowest quality, seems to be handling it better but my mrs isnt happy! @Taylordrift21 let me know how you get on

EC89F07A-F547-4E3F-9EC9-9D483F38E531.jpeg

3BFDF41D-C4AB-42A8-B957-5E6508B211A7.jpeg

Mine seems to be worse even with packet loss this time  😢 really pulling my hair out with this. All I want to do is game online with no lag or packet loss. Netflix has a lot to answer for. @Philace866 my wife wasn’t happy either when I put Netflix to lowest quality, the only other thing I am going to try is use the bandwidth allocation and limit my smart tv to a couple of meg of bandwidth and see how it goes. 

image.jpg

• Administrators

Taylor so you're now using the XR with the ISP router handling PPPoE? Put the XR WAN IP found in System Information into the ISP router DMZ as well please. What are the QoS settings you're using for this particular test? Have you followed that guide as before to find what worked best? Was the test done over ethernet as well as it should be to rule out WiFi interference.

Hi Fraser, yeah I was using the isp router for handling the pppoe connection. I had been adjusting the download and upload from 70% and just lowering it slightly to see which was working best. Honestly felt like it didn’t matter where the sliders were on my QoS as it didn’t improve it any or does it take a few minutes each time for the QoS to work? Even just loading a new video on YouTube was enough to give me high ping spikes on pingplotter.I will try that tomorrow regarding DMZ  and post back how I get on. I use Ethernet on my PC as well. Thanks 

@Philace866 yeah I used to do the same thing on my previous ASUS router that also had broken QoS, even running custom firmware on my ASUS router made no difference hence why I resorted to just using bandwidth allocation. I had my smart tv down to 2mbps for download and 1mbps for upload and that seemed to work just fine while gaming. Only thing is at the time I had done it, it was hard to tell if the gaming packets were prioritised and if I maintained a low ping. Main thing was it was lag free gaming thankfully, I just hope I find a solution to the problem on the Xr300 because other than the QoS it’s a pretty good router and I love the Geo filter feature too. 

@Taylordrift21I’ve also set my geofilter to 200 miles and set ping assist at 15 tonight and that is helping, nice to finally have a decent night on modern warfare  whilst the mrs watches Netflix 

@Netduma Fraser maybe a good dev feature request would be to suppress Netflix bandwidth within the router, I’m sure that would be seriously difficult but that would be a game changer! 

Oh right it’s not something I’ve looked into, could you tell me what the ping assist does then? What I can really get from that is like setting ping assist at 15 would be like making sure it connects to a server with 15ms ping?  It must be some sort of firmware bug then, hopefully that gets sorted but I assumed when it said like 15nil it meant ms lol. 

I think it means it’ll only connect you outside of your geofilter area if the ping is 15 or below, I could be wrong though 

the nil box below is for something else but I can’t remember what, I watched a video on YouTube and it said not to tick it so I didn’t! That’s about my level of technical knowledge 😂 hopefully they can release a new firmware soon to fix all these bugs