do I have my router setup right?

here's the problem I have the Verizon router but then I have the nighthawk xr500. so the thing is I have might nighthawk plugged into my Verizon modem so I try dslp reports or pingplotter an im not get really bad reports but I am getting some spikes an even when I use the buffer bloat on the xr500 its not smoothing it out on any percentage?  an idk how my line is congested cause I only have my laptop an my phone connected to it I have my ps4 hard wired to the nighthawk? 

yes the Verizon router is a modem an a router as well. what do you mean unplug all the lan cables an wifi. just like unplug an replug them in ? or like you mean turn the wifi off on the Verizon modem or can I turn off then router part an make it a modem on Verizon ? the only thing hard wired is my ps4 from the nighthawk an then I have a ethernet cable going from the nighthawk into the Verizon modem/router for the internet 

oh I get it I do have my wifi devices like laptop an phone to the nighthawk I can try an turn my phone off an run a dsl report to see if it changes. maybe I can't change into just a modem I thought I might idk ill have to see but yea idk why my line is like up an down on ping plotter I have a low ping but my line is not steady 

Yeah basically I want to see if you stop your devices from using any bandwidth, does the connection still go up and down constantly? Then I can narrow the problem down to either just the router, or some incompatibility between a device on your network and the router.

20 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Yeah basically I want to see if you stop your devices from using any bandwidth, does the connection still go up and down constantly? Then I can narrow the problem down to either just the router, or some incompatibility between a device on your network and the router.

ok so I shut off the bluetooth on my phone an hard wired my ethernet cable to the modem an that to my laptop an tried a ping test it definitely was better way less up an down were smaller but still there an my ping was around 7 to 8 ms 

12 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Hm. Could you try using the bufferbloat sliders again, but this time with nothing enabled in the Traffic Prioritization menu? You'll need to set it to Always.

I will give it a shot an let you know cause as of now yea I have my console in traffic prioritization  an ill uncheck that an put always on 

On 11/7/2019 at 7:24 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Hm. Could you try using the bufferbloat sliders again, but this time with nothing enabled in the Traffic Prioritization menu? You'll need to set it to Always.

I took out my ps4 an unchecked the box an then put always Bufferbloat an it actually seems a little more steady very little up an down its not completely flat. I mean it is a little weird cause I only use my phone an laptop so its not like my internet is flooded. but is better. an game isn't lagging so. the other thing is would plugging my laptop into the xr500 with ethernet cable when I play games would that help as well then using wifi?

Edited by Matthew_D

• 5 months later...

OP what I did was when faced with a similar problem that I disabled my wireless bluetooth in my mobile and hardwired with my modem. Somehow this trick worked for me. Try this and see if it works out for you too.