Strike Back: The best show you probably aren't watching

Dillinger

As some of you may know, I am a big weapons guy.  Shoot guns, build guns, competed, carry regularly, have a safe full and can talk them until the cows come home, sleep and are ready to head back the next day.  Been that way all my life and nothing has been more of a constant source of irritant for that world, for me, than Hollywood.

Which is why I truly love shows like Strike Back.  This is a great show and if you haven't given it a try, it's (5th) and final season is getting ready to start back up again.

It originally started in the UK on Sky, and that first season was great.  I watched it before Skin-a-max took it over from Sky and I loved it.  When Skin-a-max got involved, as you can imagine, ALL the actors got better looking, the action got more crazy and each episode is basically a one hour summer blockbuster with a cliff-hanger of an ending.

So why should you watch?

Here's my short list (and a link to some story about it that may sway your vote)

• Weapons, combat and hand to hand.  All top shelf.  You will see tactics that aren't being shown to the "average" shooter or actor in this day and age.  Really good camera work, great muzzle discipline, you never see someone "shooting" with a locked open slide or empty gun.
  • Storytelling.  Right out of the headlines.  Really good main arc, with several little side missions and fillers that make an hour go by quick.
  • Chicks man!  This show has hot chicks.  Like the kind that you know are a bit touched in the head and are wild animals in the sack type of "hot chicks"  And there is nudity in every episode.  

http://community.ew.com/2015/07/13/5-reasons-to-watch-strike-back/  <= Strike Back article  (hotlink no worky)

What more do you want?

Who's going to join me on the last season, and probably cry a few tears when the final credits roll??

You know what I completely forgot about this show.  I watched the first season on SKY and when I moved house I didn't bother getting SKY TV and it completely dropped off my radar.

The first season was based on Chris Ryan's book he's ex SAS so that accounts for a lot of the realism I guess, I remember reading the cast and crew were trained by ex SAS soldiers and were consultants during filming to keep things authentic.  There's nothing worse than seeing a locked open slide in films, especially after just  firing a single round, put an extra round in the gun guys!!

In a way it's good I forgot about this show, now I can blast through it all the way to the end.

Nice one Dillinger

As some of you may know, I am a big weapons guy.  Shoot guns, build guns, competed, carry regularly, have a safe full and can talk them until the cows come home, sleep and are ready to head back the next day.

Really?  can't say I noticed tbh. We should discuss the subject sometime. :D

nothing has been more of a constant source of irritant for that world, for me, than Hollywood.

You're not seriously suggesting Hollywood has been playing fast and loose with any aspect of gun nomenclature, or its portrayal on the Silver Screen? My poor deluded friend.  What you see on the big screen IS real life unfolding before your very eyes.

Strike Back has echoes of a documentary I used to love watching. Admittedly, I am going back a few years but believe it was long admired by the scientific community for similar reasons your post describes.  Some suggested it might have been responsible for re-writing a couple of theorems by a Mr. A. Einstein - but that's hearsay.

The name of this fly-on-the-wall docu/drama escapes me, but the basic premise had cameras following four Army vets, framed for a crime they didn't commit, who helped the innocent while on the run from the military.  If the name comes to me, I'll be sure to let you know.

Strike Back sounds as if it could've been made by the same people, and if it's half as good as your saying, I think i'll enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing   :)

:P

Sounds like its got all my favourite things in there :P Will definitely check this out, thanks for the heads up!

Give it a go Fraser, it's well worth it.  The first season was all local British talent, and was really a good 6 or 8 part series.  The Cinemax version is more glamorous, flashy and they definitely go for the summer movie feel with the explosions.  Definitely a good way to kill an hour if you like good action.

You know what I completely forgot about this show.  I watched the first season on SKY and when I moved house I didn't bother getting SKY TV and it completely dropped off my radar.

The first season was based on Chris Ryan's book he's ex SAS so that accounts for a lot of the realism I guess, I remember reading the cast and crew were trained by ex SAS soldiers and we're consultants during filming to keep things authentic.  There's nothing worse than seeing a locked open slide in films, especially after just  firing a single round, put an extra round in the gun guys!!

In a way it's good I forgot about this show, now I can blast through it all the way to the end.

Nice one Dillinger

Spot on Akic, the one and the same.  Last season, for the premiere, the Strike Back team (actors, director, writers and a couple of trainers) held a special screening of the first two episodes at a base here in the states that has a wing for The Wounded Warrior Project.  The actors were really shocked that actual soldiers were commenting on the realism and asking if they (the actors) had served and with whom.  If you liked the first season, I think you will like the bigger, blown out version that is on now.

You're not seriously suggesting Hollywood has been playing fast and loose with any aspect of gun nomenclature, or its portrayal on the Silver Screen? My poor deluded friend.  What you see on the big screen IS real life unfolding before your very eyes.

Strike Back has echoes of a documentary I used to love watching. Admittedly, I am going back a few years but believe it was long admired by the scientific community for similar reasons your post describes.  Some suggested it might have been responsible for re-writing a couple of theorems by a Mr. A. Einstein - but that's hearsay.

The name of this fly-on-the-wall docu/drama escapes me, but the basic premise had cameras following four Army vets, framed for a crime they didn't commit, who helped the innocent while on the run from the military.  If the name comes to me, I'll be sure to let you know.

Strike Back sounds as if it could've been made by the same people, and if it's half as good as your saying, I think i'll enjoy it.

*shaking head sadly*  Why is it always the guys named Dog I have to keep an eye on??   :rolleyes:  ;)

It was the A-Team, I remember it well

All I have to say is, if you ever thought "man, those guys sure fire a lot of bullets without anyone ever getting hit" & "Why don't you kill him??  He's right there monologuing, KILL HIM!", then you are going to LOVE THE SHI'ITE out of Strike Back.  :P

Archived