Jump to content
Bowie

XR500 crashing every morning at the same time...

Recommended Posts

Recently, my XR500 has started crashing every night at around 4:15am. It loses internet, but stays powered on. Sometimes reconnects in 1min, sometimes takes an hour, other times never reconnects. If I turn it off and on it connects right away, which is how I know the problem is the router.

 

Started out of the blue. I then updated firmware 2 days ago but it's still doing it every morning. Hoping to get help because it's giving wifi to my security cameras and I can't keep it if it's going to be doing this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PharmDawgg said:

If you are not already on this firmware I would try this.

 

Thanks but that's the one I'm on now. Switching to that firmware did nothing to stop the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go to Settings > Monitoring > Logs, could you copy into the forum the log entries from around the time of the disconnect? I'd be interested to see what appears.

Also, if you go to Settings > Monitoring > Connection Status, what does this table display? How long is left on the lease, and what's the current time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

If you go to Settings > Monitoring > Logs, could you copy into the forum the log entries from around the time of the disconnect? I'd be interested to see what appears.

Also, if you go to Settings > Monitoring > Connection Status, what does this table display? How long is left on the lease, and what's the current time?

Thx so much for the help. I'll have to sort through the logs when I get more time but as for the lease, it says, "Obtained 1d 0hrs 0min. Expires 0d 22hrs 51min"

Does that mean it's going to crash in that amount of time? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think so, that's my theory anyway. The security camera thing is interesting because it's one of the few cases where you need an internet connection with absolutely no downtime.

What is your XR500 connected to through the WAN port? We might be able to configure the upstream device to give a longer lease, which renews at a less annoying time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

I think so, that's my theory anyway. The security camera thing is interesting because it's one of the few cases where you need an internet connection with absolutely no downtime.

What is your XR500 connected to through the WAN port? We might be able to configure the upstream device to give a longer lease, which renews at a less annoying time.

Thanks for the help. It's connected to a Netgear CM1000 modem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently you can access that modem's interface at 192.168.100.1

Could you go there and see if there's any DHCP related options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Apparently you can access that modem's interface at 192.168.100.1

Could you go there and see if there's any DHCP related options?

I logged in there but did not see the option. Mostly just info about the status of the channels. The only things I can change are the starting frequency, reset, and reboot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started with a CM1000 Netgear connected with my xr500 but I was getting constant disconnects and switched cable modems (Arris) and it fixed most of my issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this case, in Internet Setup I would give the router a static IP (just switch from automatic, no need to change anything specifically), that will stop it getting a new WAN IP. Regarding the lease on the XR500 itself there is no way to extend that time unfortunately, a possible workaround would be to give devices static/reserved IPs and see if that prevents the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In this case, in Internet Setup I would give the router a static IP (just switch from automatic, no need to change anything specifically), that will stop it getting a new WAN IP. Regarding the lease on the XR500 itself there is no way to extend that time unfortunately, a possible workaround would be to give devices static/reserved IPs and see if that prevents the issue.

Thank you. What might the negatives of assigning a static IP, if any? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I suppose if the upstream device had already assigned that IP to something else, you'd be out of luck. I don't think this will happen though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

isnt it odd this problem is happening to more and more of us....?

i posted about  this exact issue recently also.... LINK

out of curiosity Bowie, are you using DDNS settings at all ?

i ask because i also keep seeing my DDNS disconnect and reconnect frequently since upgrading to .56...?

ie. and just today .....

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, October 31, 2019 13:01:08

[Dynamic DNS] host name 81.**.***.69 registeration successful, Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:36:44

[Dynamic DNS] host name 0.0.0.0 registeration failure, Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:36:32

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, xlr8r said:

isnt it odd this problem is happening to more and more of us....?

i posted about  this exact issue recently also.... LINK

out of curiosity Bowie, are you using DDNS settings at all ?

i ask because i keep seeing my DDNS disconnect and reconnect frequently since upgrading to .56...?

ie. and just today .....

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, October 31, 2019 13:01:08

[Dynamic DNS] host name 81.**.***.69 registeration successful, Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:36:44

[Dynamic DNS] host name 0.0.0.0 registeration failure, Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:36:32

 

In relation to Netgear in means you have set up Dynamic DNS from what I know.  https://kb.netgear.com/23945/How-do-I-set-up-Dynamic-DNS-on-my-Nighthawk-router-if-I-already-have-a-Dynamic-DNS-account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

In relation to Netgear in means you have set up Dynamic DNS from what I know.  https://kb.netgear.com/23945/How-do-I-set-up-Dynamic-DNS-on-my-Nighthawk-router-if-I-already-have-a-Dynamic-DNS-account

what are you telling me here....? i have DDNS setup using a no-ip registration method. and i have stated the router drops the DDNS connection several times daily.... i dont get what your post "relates" too ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, xlr8r said:

what are you telling me here....? i have DDNS setup using a no-ip registration method. and i have stated the router drops the DDNS connection several times daily.... i dont get what your post "relates" too ?

Sorry I didn't see the fact you had set up DDNS and was asking what it was in the logs. Have you tried disabling it to see if the issue continues? Sometimes the XR500 seems to not like acting like a router with certain options it seems. Like IPv6 not working with QoS etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Killhippie said:

Sorry I didn't see the fact you had set up DDNS and was asking what it was in the logs. Have you tried disabling it to see if the issue continues?

not really, i use it ALOT to remote connect and also to monitor multiple CCTV cameras.

Just odd that the router has started disconnecting DDNS and the internet at different times throughout each day... and its not just me its happening too.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, xlr8r said:

not really, i use it ALOT to remote connect and also to monitor multiple CCTV cameras.

Just odd that the router has started disconnecting DDNS and the internet at different times throughout each day... and its not just me its happening too.....

I think tbh there are issues with the XR500 and it acting like a high end router and not just a gaming one. Having two lots of firmware cant help when they have to talk to each other. Have you got another router with the same functionality for things like DDNS to try? I think its almost like to much attention has been placed on gaming stuff and options left in for other features have not been updated either by Netgear who I would imagine run this part or maybe a firmware clash with DumaOS not somehow dealing with the information properly from Netgears firmware, who knows. Its frustrating and annoying, but not everyone uses these functions so they probably go under the radar for a while. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

I think tbh there are issues with the XR500 and it acting like a high end router and not just a gaming one. Having two lots of firmware cant help when they have to talk to each other. Have you got another router with the same functionality for things like DDNS to try? I think its almost like to much attention has been placed on gaming stuff and options left in for other features have not been updated either by Netgear who I would imagine run this part or maybe a firmware clash with DumaOS not somehow dealing with the information properly from Netgears, who knows. Its frustrating and annoying, but not everyone uses these functions so they probably go under the radar for a while. :(

lol "issues" you can say that again....!

I sold my Xr500 to a mate and because he's a bit of a "technophobe" ... i offered to help him with remote setup/changes anytime he needed it....(i came regret that one!)

Unfortunately since I updated it for him (was running steady-ish on .24 Hotfix) to .56, its given nothing but trouble. i took it back to troubleshoot but am getting nowhere and nobody on here really seems to know what is going on with the XR500  lol!

I think there's been a lot of head-scratching behind the scenes since this routers launch..... im glad i got shot of it for THIS , (despite the reviews) I've had no such issues with it ....

Not sure how to hand the XR500 back to my mate in the state its in.... turned out to be a real Lemon of a router. Clearly the more little ticks you put in boxes on this router, the more it wants to fail....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, xlr8r said:

I think there's been a lot of head-scratching behind the scenes since this routers launch..... im glad i got shot of it for THIS , (despite the reviews) I've had no such issues with it ....

Not sure how to hand the XR500 back to my mate in the state its in.... turned out to be a real Lemon of a router. Clearly the more little ticks you put in boxes on this router, the more it wants to fail....

I would agree, I like Netgear hardware, its well made but the firmware... I'm running a RAX12 (I beta tested the original unit) Now I have a retail unit to do the same with. I miss the GUI of DumaOS, but not the headaches and running an AX router with two AX devices is also buggy, but as a router is solid for my needs and is powerful too  (2.2Ghz Quad core 64bit CPU with 1.7Ghz dual core offset CPU) The offset handles DPI stuff and QoS etc its got a lot more but thats not what we are talking about here. I had the R7800 the predecessor of the XR500 and that was solid especially with Voxels firmware. I therefore had high hopes for the XR500 which have kinda sunk.
 I think the well discussed lack of bug fixes in the last year and the fact .56 has a big security patch is a pain and awkward. Running the hotfix on its own is not needed now as that's rolled into .56 but not the security updates from .56. Have you Factory reset the whole thing and set it up manually? (not using a backup) Yes I hate to mention that, also maybe run another copy of .56 over the current installation and set it up as new would be the best you can do for now. Since apart from Netgear fixes we don't know how long DumaOS 3.0 will take to come/if it comes to the XR500 which I would hope it would. I think thats all you can do really. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, xlr8r said:

isnt it odd this problem is happening to more and more of us....?

i posted about  this exact issue recently also.... LINK

out of curiosity Bowie, are you using DDNS settings at all ?

i ask because i also keep seeing my DDNS disconnect and reconnect frequently since upgrading to .56...?

ie. and just today .....

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, October 31, 2019 13:01:08

[Dynamic DNS] host name 81.**.***.69 registeration successful, Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:36:44

[Dynamic DNS] host name 0.0.0.0 registeration failure, Thursday, October 31, 2019 12:36:32

 

I'll say "no", because I don't know what that is so I assume I'm not using it. 

 

Very frustrating to spend such a sum, thinking that would ensure trouble free operation, only to have frequent problems. My last two routers sat untouched for years until I moved. Now, I get the privilege of having my gaming friends mock my expensive router every time I leave them abandoned in a ranked match. 

 

Still looking for advice as I don't want to give up on this one just yet. So, any ideas anyone has would be appreciated. If I'm understanding this correctly, normal IP refreshing from the ISP is causing the router to crash? Did I understand that correct? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bowie said:

Still looking for advice as I don't want to give up on this one just yet. So, any ideas anyone has would be appreciated. If I'm understanding this correctly, normal IP refreshing from the ISP is causing the router to crash? Did I understand that correct?

It's a theory at the moment based on what you've said, by setting static IPs for the router and devices that will lock the IP and prevent them being changed and hopefully resolve the issue if a DHCP lease renewal wasn't working correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's a theory at the moment based on what you've said, by setting static IPs for the router and devices that will lock the IP and prevent them being changed and hopefully resolve the issue if a DHCP lease renewal wasn't working correctly.

So Dynamic IP addresses from the ISP are causing the XR500 to crash and static ones dont? The mind boggles at how that happens, I guess its under a certain set of parameters that many users don't use, otherwise Netgear would be having a tidal wave on their hands with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 11:25 AM, Killhippie said:

So Dynamic IP addresses from the ISP are causing the XR500 to crash and static ones dont? The mind boggles at how that happens, I guess its under a certain set of parameters that many users don't use, otherwise Netgear would be having a tidal wave on their hands with this.

I'm not saying that's definitely what is happening at all, it is just my personal theory based on the issue at hand. I could very well be wrong, I imagine I am otherwise there would be a lot more issues!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...