High Priority Traffic Bug

Hello, I am new to the forum and have recently purchased a XR300 router. I have manually added all my ports for Apex Legends on PC (keeping source ports default). When i start up the game I can see High Priority Traffic Detected light on. If I have a quick game and exit the game, the HP detect light goes off as expected. However if I play a longer game I noticed after I close the game the High Priority Traffic Detected stays on. 

This is strange because the total Upload and Download high priority data count has not increased by a single packet. The High Priority Traffic light should turn off after 30-60 seconds if no high priority packets are sent or received.  I have attached a screenshot of my issue showing the light stuck on. Note there is no difference between total High Priority packet counts over a 20min period.

The router appears to detect all my high priority data contributing to the total packet count while gaming. The indicator for high priority traffic seems to be bugging out though. I have this same problem in 3 different web browsers. The only way I can seem to get the High Priority Detected light to turn off is with a router reboot. 

HP Data.jpg

Guest Killhippie
4 hours ago, kymadn said:

Hello, I am new to the forum and have recently purchased a XR300 router. I have manually added all my ports for Apex Legends on PC (keeping source ports default). When i start up the game I can see High Priority Traffic Detected light on. If I have a quick game and exit the game, the HP detect light goes off as expected. However if I play a longer game I noticed after I close the game the High Priority Traffic Detected stays on. 

This is strange because the total Upload and Download high priority data count has not increased by a single packet. The High Priority Traffic light should turn off after 30-60 seconds if no high priority packets are sent or received.  I have attached a screenshot of my issue showing the light stuck on. Note there is no difference between total High Priority packet counts over a 20min period.

The router appears to detect all my high priority data contributing to the total packet count while gaming. The indicator for high priority traffic seems to be bugging out though. I have this same problem in 3 different web browsers. The only way I can seem to get the High Priority Detected light to turn off is with a router reboot. 

HP Data.jpg

What is your antibufferbloat setting? Do you have it (I'm assuming) on 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' If so try a speed test when the light is on and see if your Antibufferblkoat settings are still in force rather than switched off. You could try unticking DumaOS Classified Games, but I found that personally didn't help. It seems depending on time and other traffic possibly (a guess) the DPI engine gets confused and enters a state where it thinks everything is gaming traffic when its not and locks into that mode, hence rebooting clears it. Try a speed test to see, if you are not getting your full throughput back when the indicator light stays on, if you don't that means its stuck in high priority mode and will need a reboot generally. I found no fix, or course I imagine DumaOS 3.0 when its released might have patches for that but I cant say for certain as I just don't know. Its kind of a known bug though as others have suffered it. Settings may be different on the XR300 compared with the XR500 so sorry if Ive missed anything, or added anything ;)

Guest Killhippie
17 minutes ago, kymadn said:

I have Antibuffer Bloat set to "When High Priority Traffic Detected" at 70% up/down. I ran a speed test on a few different devices and i can get 100% bandwidth even while gaming? not sure what is happening

When you (or if) updated the firmware for the XR300 did you do  factory reset? I would try that then manually put your settings back in. First Try googling your router and that issue, it may be a known bug. Also look on the Netgear forums as its Netgears hardware.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you provide a screenshot of the rules that you have added to Traffic Prioritization please? Then could you delete those and add your PC with the games console service and see if it performs better please?

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you provide a screenshot of the rules that you have added to Traffic Prioritization please? Then could you delete those and add your PC with the games console service and see if it performs better please?

I have used both methods. I ended up removing every port and switched over to the PC with console service. I also did a complete factory restore and have the same issue with the High Priority Detection indicator. I have the latest firmware version at the moment. It seems better as a pc added with console service but the indicator still gets stuck on.

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is the game platform e.g. Steam still open/in the the task tray on the PC? If so stop that completely and see if it goes off then.

The game uses origin i have tried closing it and the traffic priority stays on. It even stays on after i shutdown the computer and disconnect all devices. It takes hours to turn off. The only time it turns off is after I go to bed and the check it the next morning.

• Administrators

Do you have DumaOS Classified Games enabled the whole time even when you've manually added a rule? If so disable that as that is most likely what is picking something up. Also are you on the latest firmware? That is a good idea, might be something we add in future!

33 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have DumaOS Classified Games enabled the whole time even when you've manually added a rule? If so disable that as that is most likely what is picking something up. Also are you on the latest firmware? That is a good idea, might be something we add in future!

Thanks for the quick reply. I am sure I tried manual ports without duma os classfield games un-selected but it made no difference. I can test this again this afternoon and let you know how it goes. I will also get you a screenshot of the manual ports i had setup. For the time being i have reverted back to pc with console service and removed all manual ports (still does not solve the problem though). 

Also worth mentioning is i have a cctv system using ports 37777 and 1025. i thought this may have been the cause but the issue still seems to occur with the CCTV disconnected.

• Administrators

Thanks, do let us know. The best way to trouble shoot would be to disable DumaOS Classified Games and remove any rules you've added, if it goes off then something is being picked up. If not then something else is happening. Are you on the latest firmware? What browser are you using? Do you notice if it goes off on different browsers?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks, do let us know. The best way to trouble shoot would be to disable DumaOS Classified Games and remove any rules you've added, if it goes off then something is being picked up. If not then something else is happening. Are you on the latest firmware? What browser are you using? Do you notice if it goes off on different browsers?

My XR300 says I have the latest Xr300 firmware (V1.0.3.34_10.3.27).  The support page for XR300 latest firmware matches my current firmware version.

I have tried Mozilla firefox, google chrome, edge and internet explorer. I have also tried clearing browser cache. The problem is across all browsers. 

I also get this issue as well and it doesn't matter what browser one is using.. If you look at my screen shot there is no devices added and DumaOS is unticked.. Yet it decides to prioritize traffic.. What exactly its prioritizing is unknown..

784027300_Screenshot(49).thumb.png.6abfb6a24d29ed707aaf75046a027083.png

I spent the whole weekend trying every combination of traffic prioritisation with no resolution. Even blocking devices did not clear high priority traffic. I searched these forums found 1 related topic which did not seem to have a resolution back in December 2018: 

After I got home from work today I started running more tests on this issue. I now have the router setup with no added traffic priority ports, and DumaOS Classified Games enabled. PC device is added as a console on spectating mode. 

I launched Apex Legends and the High Priority Traffic was detected. I played a quick game dropping into a hot zone then closed the game and Origin. After about 3-5 minutes the High Priority Traffic indicator turned off.

I then relaunched the game. Playing a much longer round down to the last 4 squads this time. After closing the game + Origin the High Priority Traffic was stuck on again. I waited more then 30 minutes but it did not turn off. During this period there was no additional High Priority Packets sent or receive, the total packet count remained exactly the same as when i closed the game.

So I found once the router gets into this "stuck indicator state" as Zippy said above, if you go and disable DumaOS Classfield Game. The High Priority Traffic indicator is still stuck on. Otherwise if the router has not gone into the "stuck on state", disabling DumaOS Classfield Games would normally clear the indicator.

I rebooted my router to clear the High Priority Traffic indicator. I then repeated the above steps with BFV to see if the problems re-occurs with a different game. I first played a long game and after exiting the game the High Priority indicator turned off. I thought maybe this was only related to Apex legends. I then played a very short game of BFV and it has stuck on again. 

Guest Killhippie
10 hours ago, kymadn said:

I spent the whole weekend trying every combination of traffic prioritisation with no resolution. Even blocking devices did not clear high priority traffic. I searched these forums found 1 related topic which did not seem to have a resolution back in December 2018: 

For myself the issue mainly playing Destiny 2 got so bad I started gaming less because I was so fed up of rebooting the router, it was all very hit and miss too as to when it occur but I found long sessions also seemed moire likely to cause prioritisation to get stuck on. For me it also kept the antibufferbloat percentage in play so I was loosing throughput when no gaming was happening. Nothing I did whhould stop the prioritisation as you have said and watching my 54Mbps sit at 33Mbps for no reason (antibufferbloat on my like is generally a down and and a up, without QoS or antibufferbloat) was frustrating. The router also likes to boot up with no devices attached I noticed it behaved better that way, the logs had the longest list of devices asking for a new lease (with DHCP reservation)  I've ever seen, my current RAX120 does not have that issue, just my sky box calling every ten minutes which its done on every router I've had for 6 years (oddities of Sky+HD hardware) The .56 update did not cure the issue and after a long game in the crucible it froze again.

I imagine the only cure will be DumaOS 3.0 if that comes to current Netgear hardware, or maybe new Netgear hardware with more CPU grunt. I really wonder how DumaOS 3.0 will perform on the XR routers with Netgears firmware and Netduma's running together. The XR500 has a quad core CPU no matter what people say it has* two 1.7Ghz cores and two 800Mhz cores for networking duties. In comparison my RAX120 has a Qualcomm quad core 2.4Ghz SoC and a offset 1.7Ghz dual core CPU  for networking and DPI work, which shows how much routers have changed in the last few years.
* https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq8065

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/router-soc-101,4392.html

Whatever the problem is it seems like software. It only takes 2 games for High Priority Traffic to lock up and need a reboot. I also noticed I forgot to apply my Bufferbloat connection speeds after i did a factory reset on the modem last time. This may also cause Bufferbloat speeds for a duration after closing a game? I will leave my bufferbloat up higher around 85% for now.  

Edited by kymadn

• Netduma Staff

I'm going to see if we can investigate this issue with High Priority getting stuck - we'll test it with Apex and Destiny 2 for good measure. It's possible that the issue is graphical but I can't really speculate until we take a look.

Could you guys confirm whether this persists when you hard refresh the page (F5)? Also @Zippy, could you let us know which game this happened to you on? If anyone has experienced this while playing another game let us know.

If any of you guys have added your own rules to Traffic Prio, please let us know that as well. The more information we have, the faster we'll be able to get to the bottom of it!

Thanks Jack. You might be right about it being graphical. I am going to get my router back to the stuck High Priority Detected indicator and confirm if bufferbloat is actually applying the whole time after game is closed. I will let you know what i find.

The High Priority Traffic indicator light 100% stays on with F5 refresh. I also tried multiple browsers and clearing the cache. It just stays on until reboot when its stuck.  

I have the problem with Apex Legends and Battlefield V on PC which are the only 2 games i play right now. I have no rules added to Traffic Prioritization. I have my PC added as a Console using DumaOs Classfield Games enabled. 

Guest Killhippie
23 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

I'm going to see if we can investigate this issue with High Priority getting stuck - we'll test it with Apex and Destiny 2 for good measure. It's possible that the issue is graphical but I can't really speculate until we take a look.

Could you guys confirm whether this persists when you hard refresh the page (F5)? Also @Zippy, could you let us know which game this happened to you on? If anyone has experienced this while playing another game let us know.

If any of you guys have added your own rules to Traffic Prio, please let us know that as well. The more information we have, the faster we'll be able to get to the bottom of it!

Was not graphical on mine as my antibufferbloat settings stayed applied with the light on, no rules added, Jack. Just DumaOS classified games ticked and unticking them , turning off antibufferbloat and even QoS didn't stop the issue it was just in a frozen state thinking something was high priorty traffic I even had a friend pull the plug on my TV etc and I turned off all the wifi devices and it still stayed on, always had to be a reboot and since I'm in a wheelchair and my router is high up that was really hard work if in the end a reset (using the reset button on the back always seemed to give a cleaner reset oddly enough) was needed as it seemed to do it more and more often until a factory reset was performed and then it would be okay for a while, until a long gaming session on Destiny 2 :(

@Netduma Jack @Netduma Fraser

Confirmed this issue is not graphical and is indeed applying bufferbloat to the network the whole time after game is closed. I rebooted my router and played 1 game of Apex legends before High Priority Detect was stuck again. After i closed the game I shutdown the PC and disconnected all wired devices. Only 2x iPhones and 1x Laptop was on the network over Wi-Fi. 

After 1 hour the router is still stuck on High Priority Detect. I have again taken 2 screenshots showing there is no High Priority Packets sent or received during this time. I also ran a speed test off my iPhone every 10mins. Bufferbloat is enabled with High Priority Detect and is reducing my maximum download of 45mbps down to 70% (31mbps).

It is getting late here in Australia so I am off to bed. If i leave the router running all night without a reboot I believe it will eventually resolve. However it will take several hours before it clears High Priority Traffic and removes the anti-bufferbloat.

I am very surprised this issue has not been widely discussed or detected with how long DumaOs has been around now. 

hp stuck.jpg

File 21-10-19, 9 53 17 pm.jpeg

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, kymadn said:

I am very surprised this issue has not been widely discussed or detected with how long DumaOs has been around now. 

I've had a chat with our lead test engineer - he's confirmed that he's aware of this issue, though there are other pressing bugs he's been working through. All this information will really help our devs in fixing the issue, so I can't thank you enough! I'll raise it internally to make sure it's getting attention.

5 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

I've had a chat with our lead test engineer - he's confirmed that he's aware of this issue, though there are other pressing bugs he's been working through. All this information will really help our devs in fixing the issue, so I can't thank you enough! I'll raise it internally to make sure it's getting attention.

Thanks Jack! Good to see you here again! I will add as much info as I can in this also as time permits me to give any help I can..  I have noticed that this feature does fall into what I call a stale state and becomes stuck. I don't think it matters on what game one plays but it could. The games ive been playing are the MCC and Halo5. Ive tested this in using DumaOS classified games and or adding my Xbox as a gaming console. Both give the same results.. Ive also tried to manually enter ports and that also goes into a stale state. So basically all three options seem to be giving the same results. Which then makes me wonder if the cause of this is directly Traffic Prioritization or if something not directly related is causing it to do this. This seems to be very tricky to say what is actually causing this. Or at least its hard to point the finger at one thing to say yup that's the culprit.. I do have additional info I will share here shortly as soon as time permits.. Thanks again Jack and everyone else involved..

Zippy.

5 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

So when can we expect a patch to fix this? This is a pretty significant issue. The router is suppose to improve Qos but is actually causing throttling. 

Can the software code be changed to disable High Priority Detect, if no High Priority packets are sent or received within 60 seconds rather then triggering off High Priority ports?