Hey! Could have sworn I'd posted about this before but can't seem to see any history of it.

I excitedly got my hands on an R1, and proceeded to reset it and put DumaOS on it (Firmware version 2.1.3.29, DumaOS 1.3.29). It's really, really not behaved in any why like I'd expect it to.

In our house we've a cable modem, and connected directly to that is the R1, with both being located in the flat downstairs. There's a Cat6 cable running from downstairs up and into a Netgear X4S/R7800, which the computers and consoles upstairs in our flat are connected to. 

• I can't see my PC's name nor MAC address in the Device Manager table/tree 
  • The R7800 upstairs here is on its own branch of the Network Map
  • All the devices upstairs that are connected to the R8000 are connected to what shows as an 'Offline' device in the Network Map
  • At some point my PC was showing, and I tried adding it as a console to the devices in the Geo-Filter in an effort to use the functionality in Street Fighter V. Never saw a single ping, never any icons on the map, ever. My device isn't there any more, either.

I was super excited to get this router, but in its current state it's done literally nothing for me other than put me out of pocket. I'd love to change that.

Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like the problem is that the Netgear device it's connected to over LAN is not passing the mac address information back to the R1

Is the Netgear device set as an Access Point? Are the R1 and Netgear device connected LAN to WAN or LAN to LAN? Is every device on your network being assigned an IP address in the 192.168.88.xx range?

I don't have any IP addresses manually set, including on this PC. It's set automatically as 192.168.1.3. 

I can and will change the R7800 to AP mode, it's currently on Router Mode as when I previously read the description for AP mode it didn't seem appropriate - I guess that's just ambiguous/bad wording?

AP Mode: Wireless AP mode allows this device to work as a stand-alone wireless access point on your existing network.

Have attached a screenshot, and in it you can see that it also asks me if I'd like to 'Get [IP addresses] dynamically from existing router', or 'Use fixed IP Address (not recommended)' - Should I keep the default dynamic option?

chrome_NBe5A5gtxW.thumb.png.692f909b6e6fc5e466d32b5093d950de.png
As for this:

Are the R1 and Netgear device connected LAN to WAN or LAN to LAN? 

I uh, don't actually know. I'm not sure if it helps with the answer but only the R1 is connected to the modem downstairs.

Thanks for the quick reply. Really genuinely hope I can get this sorted and get use out of this!

Edit:
After switching to AP mode and keeping the 'Get [IP addresses] dynamically from existing router' option, the IP address of the wired devices connected to the R7800 are now 192.168.88.xx.

However, the Network Map still displays that it's connected to an offline device, and that 'offline' device seems to be one of our wifi networks. The R7800 is connected to this 'offline' device. I'm extremely confused. I thought that this was the R7800 with its devices branching out from it, but I'm seeing that my PC is listed on a different branch of the tree under LAN. I'm doubly confused as the wifi that most people connect to when visiting the house - that of the R1 downstairs, only has one device listed branching from it. All others that aren't on the LAN branch are listed branching from the 
'offline' device.

wmZNuMZ.png

Will have a go at trying to see if the Geo-Filter behaves any differently at least.

• Administrators

Those were definitely the options you want so good job on that. The Device Manager may show the R7800 as offline as technically it's not really doing anything but extending the R1 network, however all the other devices should show online on the device manager. Could you reboot the R1 and then see if they appear online please?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies btw. The routers have both been rebooted several times since this last post, and continue to show offline. However, nowadays people are showing up in the Geo-Filter! That's a big thing at least. Thing is, there's other issues now.

• It takes like, 10s or so to actually ping someone if I click on their icon - Why does it take so long? Is it supposed to?
  • Why do I need to wait for the ping to complete and open to see the name I've tagged that location with? It should really open right away.
  • Even though I have a bunch of people/servers blocked, the icon doesn't reflect that when in Spectating Mode. Why? I should be able to see which people I've blocked on the map.
  • When I tried Strict Mode, blocked connections within the km radius were getting through.
  • The UI is really large and doesn't scale. I'm on a 1080p monitor, I don't know if it's better looking on higher res or something, but it's.. massive - I don't understand. Even zooming out in the browser doesn't help if the page isn't already loaded, and it only helps the scale until a new page is loaded. There's really more than enough space to work with on 1080p though.
  • Not a massive thing, but the dashboard isn't responsive at all. Trying to view it on an iPhone X just to get to the reboot menu is a chore in and of itself.

I have a separate issue from these also, in that my connection drops briefly. It's happened a few times now, have started copying the log to a txt file. The game (Street Fighter V) will freeze up, work again for a split second, then the entire connection will drop for a few seconds - enough to kick me out of the game and off the SFV servers.

NetdumaLog-2019_11_03-Connection_drop.txt NetdumaLog-2019_11_07-Connection_drop.txt

• Administrators

I'll answer each point:

1. That is something we're looking into at the moment, seems to be related to CoD. It may show quicker if you manually ping.
  2. Not every connection is the same, some can take longer to ping. If it's already in your list we still need to ping it.
  3. Spectating Mode means you are not blocking at all, that includes anything you've allowed/denied.
  4. How did these connections appear? They definitely had the name you gave them and wasn't just another server in the same location?
  5. Not really sure what I can say about that as I've not experienced that. Could you provide a screenshot and I can tell you whether that is normal or not? What browser are you using?
  6. We haven't optimised for phones at the moment as we have an app in development.

Does that happen all devices or does it just happen on the console/just that game?

Okay, you've kind of missed the point on all of these.

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'll answer each point:

1. That is something we're looking into at the moment, seems to be related to CoD. It may show quicker if you manually ping.

I'm playing Street Fighter V not CoD, and am manually pinging.

2. Not every connection is the same, some can take longer to ping. If it's already in your list we still need to ping it.

Each host has an ID, right? If it's been pinged before manually, there's a high chance I've added a name to it. You don't need to wait and receive the ping to show that name. If I've pinged someone before whose connection is consistently unacceptable, and have marked that as such in their name, I want to see that immediately - not wait 10s~

3. Spectating Mode means you are not blocking at all, that includes anything you've allowed/denied.

Yes, but again, each host's icon on the map should reflect that they're set to deny. Why would I need or want to go through the pinging process, wait for that, then see that it's someone who's denied?

4. How did these connections appear? They definitely had the name you gave them and wasn't just another server in the same location?

Will try strict mode again soon and get back about this.

5. Not really sure what I can say about that as I've not experienced that. Could you provide a screenshot and I can tell you whether that is normal or not? What browser are you using?

Chrome, 1080p. Have attached screenshots.There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to see all those panels on one screen.

Does that happen all devices or does it just happen on the console/just that game?

No idea as I have no other devices I can check quickly in that time, but I attached the router logs for the last two times that I noticed it. In there there's something about DHCP release/renew.

chrome_IODQd0Vmx2.png

chrome_JhoEWT5yLE.png

chrome_8DHjetkWbf.png

chrome_0RqkZWY3oI.png

I dunno, the UI looks okay to me. On a phone it's not great but that's why we're working on a DumaOS app.

I don't know why blocked hosts within your radius would be being let through, that doesn't make sense, unless you were in Spectating Mode of course, which you've said you're not.

You have a fair point when you say that names should appear instantly when you click a server. As of right now, it waits until it can establish a connection before it shows up.

On the UI I can't see both the list/ping and the map at the same time - I think this is a pretty obvious one. Or resize those boxes on the page. Is the desktop interface getting a refresh too, perhaps in line with the app?

I'm yet to try playing on Filter Mode again, but will be at some point and will definitely get back about it. 

I do think it's really odd that the icons don't show as a "Denied" connection after I've pressed Deny. They seem to though at a later date? If I reopen the game/reboot the router, perhaps? Have noticed some blocked icons I blocked on previous days/weeks.

What about the regular disconnecting in the evening? Do you need/want more logs?

Thanks again for the replies.

3 hours ago, EmSixTeen said:

On the UI I can't see both the list/ping and the map at the same time - I think this is a pretty obvious one. Or resize those boxes on the page. Is the desktop interface getting a refresh too, perhaps in line with the app?

I've personally never had a problem with the layout but I can see how we could make the map a bit smaller so that something could be fit alongside it.

I do think it's really odd that the icons don't show as a "Denied" connection after I've pressed Deny. They seem to though at a later date? If I reopen the game/reboot the router, perhaps? Have noticed some blocked icons I blocked on previous days/weeks.

Sometimes it takes a while for icons to change. I think it's to do with caching. Just because the icons don't change, doesn't mean they're not doing what they're meant to. It's a cosmetic error.

What about the regular disconnecting in the evening? Do you need/want more logs?

Perhaps you need to increase the lease time of the DHCP pool on the upstream modem?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 11:56 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Perhaps you need to increase the lease time of the DHCP pool on the upstream modem?

Upstream meaning which, sorry? The R1 is the one connected directly to the modem, and the R7800 gives no DHCP options what I can see whilst in AP mode (which I had to switch to, as per the earlier replies in this thread). The R7800 is listed as its own thing rather than others branching off it, which I presume is right, and I have that router (and some other devices) set to a specific IP.

I'm getting disconnected from games every single night, sometimes more than once, and it's driving me insane, really stressing me out. 😔 

chrome_xllni61SEK.png

chrome_2Pw23nZvVX.png

2019_11_28-log-1574970859954.txt 2019_11_26-log-1574799791311.txt 2019_11_24-log-1574611217072.txt 2019_11_23-log-1574511712650.txt

• Administrators

Alex is referring to the cable modem but I assume this is a modem and not a modem/router so it doesn't hand out IPs to devices connected to it such as the R1 - is that right? Just to clarify - the disconnections does it just happen on your gaming device, all devices, wired devices or WiFi devices?

I don't know any way to tell if it's happening on other devices, as it reconnects quickly. The disconnects are long enough to drop games though. The only wired thing is this PC, for now.

I'm not sure about the handing out IPs, but this is how things are set up:

Cable modem (no GUI) -> R1 ethernet -> R7800 ethernet -> This PC
                                                      -> Philips Hue bridge
                                                      -> Unused PS4
                                    -> R7800 wifi     -> Smart home devices upstairs
                                    -> Powerline adapter, not going to anything currently
                     -> R1 wifi     -> All other wireless devices in the house

• Administrators

I don't suppose you have a very long ethernet cable to connect to it that would make it easier? Maybe instead take the R7800 out of AP mode and allow it to handle the devices individually. May need to go without Geo/QoS but would be good to see if the disconnections still happen in that setup.

Unfortunately not, I'm already running a 20m cable up to this router from downstairs. Will try taking it out of AP mode but if it proves to make a difference and becomes necessary then I've lost the one true reason for me to have this router. 

• Administrators

If we can definitely isolate the issue to the router then we can go from there and see if there are other avenues we can go down. As your setup is unique it would be good to figure out what is working from what isn't.