Temporary no internet for freshly connected devices

Hello,

im having an issue after i moved to a new flat AND ISP.

I reset my router to factory settings and did everything from scratch, im also using PiHole as my DNS (i used it before i moved and it didnt cause the following issue).

My problem is that whenever i come home, my phone, and thus phones of people that come visit, get an error message about no internet being available on my wifi for about 30 seconds before internet starts working for the device.

This issue didnt happen before i moved.
Internet works fine for devices that are already connected for a while, but the wait time on the new ones is annoying.

Any idea what can cause this?

Thank you,

David.

(quick edit: before the latest firmware update, the connection on the devices after they finally connected was abysmal and laggy, but the reset and update seem to fixed that)

Welcome to the forum!

Does this happen when the DNS is set to something like Google or Cloudflare? I'm not trying to blame the Pi-Hole i'm just thinking that maybe it's some communication issue between those two elements.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is the exact physical setup you're using now? What WiFi settings are you using? Do you have any wireless devices near the router, this could be headphones etc. Anything with a wireless signal could interrupt the router signal.

So my setup is like this:

Near the entrance door is my XR500 router with the raspberryPI running off its usb port and is connected by wi-fi (2.4), about a meter above the router.

The rest of the devices connected to wifi are : My PC using a netgear wifi dongle, macbook, google home mini, yeelight rgb strip, yeelight smart bulb, a xiaomi vacuum and an air purifier.
All of these device use 2.4ghz connection, whereas my phone is using 5ghz.

I already tried turning the Pihole physically off, didnt change anything.

Wifi settings are defaultly set except for 5/2.4 being divided into their own networks instead of 1 "smart"

This is in an area of about 32m2.

All of these are located in the next room to the router.

Router is connected to a network switch i assume as i only got an ethernet cable and that one goes to the hallway wall/box ( i live in an apartment complex). As MU-MIMO goes i dont think thats gonna solve it as ive used the same phone before i moved and it wasnt the case that time, ill try it regardless when i get home.

So i assigned static ip to my phone, restarted the router and sadly still the same issue.
The only thing i noticed when looking at logs is that my phone has no internet until

[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Thursday, October 03, 2019 20:48:08

[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Thursday, October 03, 2019 20:48:08

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.7] to MAC address 9c:2e:a1:ce:21:cd, Thursday, October 03, 2019 20:48:08

pops up. 

Though it takes about 10-15 seconds after the device connects for that to happen.

• Administrators

That's strange, that would indicate it's to do with DHCP so static IP should work. On the device, when you connect to the router reset the DHCP lease on the phone WiFi settings immediately, does that speed up the connection?

I couldnt find it on my phone (couldnt do it trough terminal either)
in the end i deleted the device on the router, deleted the networks on my phone and reset.

[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.7 42 7., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:32:42 
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.7 42 7., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:26 
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.7 42 7., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:25 
[DumaOS] config write 'com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager.database', Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:25 
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone lan, Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:25
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:24 
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:24 
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.7] to MAC address 9c:2e:a1:ce:21:cd, Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:24 
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.7 42 7., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:23 
[DumaOS] applying qos for zone wan, Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:23 
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.7 42 7., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:22 
[DumaOS] config write 'com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager.database', Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:22
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:21 
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:21
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.7] to MAC address 9c:2e:a1:ce:21:cd, Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:21 
[DumaOS] Marking device that is marked 192.168.1.7 42 7., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:21 
[DumaOS] config write 'com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager.database', Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:20
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:20 
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:20
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.7] to MAC address 9c:2e:a1:ce:21:cd, Thursday, October 03, 2019 21:31:20

everything stayed about the same.

Hope that achieved what you wanted, if not ill try looking for it harder.

I've had this happen as well when a "new" device connects to the nighthawk. It's not 100% of the time, maybe 25% of the time. Used to be 100% when a new device connected but firmware "helped", it just didn't make it 100% fixed.

A simple router reboot fixes it. Not looking for a fix since its easily fixed on a reboot, just thought I'd toss in that I've gotten it also, from the firmware that it came with all the way into 3 firmware updates later it persists. No big deal for me though.

• Administrators

Certainly very odd, it could be that some of the devices you've mentioned are quite unique/niche - I've never heard of a vacuum that has WiFi 😂

21 minutes ago, UnrealTairo said:

I've had this happen as well when a "new" device connects to the nighthawk. It's not 100% of the time, maybe 25% of the time. Used to be 100% when a new device connected but firmware "helped", it just didn't make it 100% fixed.

A simple router reboot fixes it. Not looking for a fix since its easily fixed on a reboot, just thought I'd toss in that I've gotten it also, from the firmware that it came with all the way into 3 firmware updates later it persists. No big deal for me though.

Do you have any unique devices or devices that are very old/new?

Hmm, we have about 50 devices in the house. (Nothing special setup in the router except DMZ, so no VPNs etc etc)

Some of the ones that it's done this with (But only the very first time ever connecting to the router where a reboot fixed it)

- iPhone XS Max

- 3 of the desktop macs 2012 models (The new 2017 5k one connected right away)

- iPhone 8 Plus

- iPhone SE

- LG 65' 4k oled

- PS Vita

- Switch

- (Both ps4s connected flawlessly the first try)

- Desktop PC that was originally using an asus EAN66 via a lan cable for WiFI . (Asus wouldve had its own mac address seperate from PC but it passed some of the PC info into the router still, like the static IP I setup directly within windows)

Occurred a 2nd time on this PC when switching to the Built in motherboard wireless Mumimo 802.11.

I think it threw the router off because the PC name and mac address was the same but it was a different wifi mac address. (The name of the PC in the router was being bounced around as other device names each reboot randomly, of devices I setup awhile ago, very weird) Had to factory restore for that one to clear up.

Hmm interesting.
I already did factory reset but i did restore some of the settings back. It did stop for like a day after that but came back since.

As for the deadspots, i live in a studio apartment/garsonier, so that would be very unfortunate. Im never more than 10m away from the router as its at the entrance door and the apartment has about 32m2

• Administrators

Okay so not much of a correlation there unfortunately. Couple of things, aimed at both of you. Could you try setting up a guest network and connect devices that normally have this issue to that and see if it works please. If you do a factory reset do not restore any settings, that defeats the purpose of starting from scratch so if you try a factory reset again don't use the backup file just setup again manually.

I reset the router and only connected my devices without changing anything.

It was fine for most of the day but about an hour the issue came back. I dont believe anything changed in the mean time, i ran no updates on the devices and the only thing running most of the day was chromecast and my macbook. Thats pretty much it.

My Devices are:

My Windows Desktop

Macbook

Xiaomi Phone

Google Home Mini

Yeelight RGB Lightstrip

Yeelight Smart Bulb

Chromecast (2nd gen)

Mijia Air Purifier

Vacuum

Pi Zero

(that would maybe be a good future feature idea: run diagnostic log)

Edited by daexgx

That's not many devices. This is officially pretty confusing. I wonder if there's some obscure setting throwing the whole thing off. 

Could you go to Settings > Setup > LAN Setup and take a screenshot of the page for me?