Why is iperf3 test slower than my internet download???

Hello!

So I have the XR500 and I have been testing different options to connect my server downstairs. Currently testing a Wifi extender (Nighthawk x6). 
So I was using iperf3 to test the LAN speed and was getting about 300Mb max. BUT if I do a speed test to the internet, or xfinity speed test etc..I get around 500-600Mb. That does NOT make sense to me. Why is my internet download faster than my local lan test? Is something in the router throttiling the speed? If I connected the laptop via ethernet then I got like 800-900Mb instead.
Thanks

So the extender is of course connected to the XR500 and I do a test on the laptop that is connected to the extender via ethernet cord. An internet download speeds gives me around 500Mb to 600Mb while the iperf3 test which should be faster since its the internal LAN test not downloading stuff from the internet, only tops at around 300Mb. Like something is limiting the speeds and I cant understand a logical reason for this.
That is why maybe I thought the iperf3 program was acting up but the moment I connected my laptop to the xr500 using an ethernet cord, I went up to 800-900Mb

Oh I see, the two tests are being done from the same place. Okay that's interesting.

So I assume the traffic is going from Device 1, into LAN 1, out of LAN 2, through the extender and to Device 2. The slowdown must be occurring in the XR500 since the extender doesn't seem to affect the traffic going out of the WAN port.

I wonder if it might help to go to the VLAN settings and bridge the two ports that are involved?

25 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Oh I see, the two tests are being done from the same place. Okay that's interesting.

So I assume the traffic is going from Device 1, into LAN 1, out of LAN 2, through the extender and to Device 2. The slowdown must be occurring in the XR500 since the extender doesn't seem to affect the traffic going out of the WAN port.

I wonder if it might help to go to the VLAN settings and bridge the two ports that are involved?

Can you elaborate more on the last part about bridging the ports please?

Thanks!

EDIT: Forget my advice, try @e38BimmerFN's advice instead.

Well I believe that if you go into Settings > Advanced > VLAN Bridge Group, you can tick specific ports on the router to be put into the same VLAN group. I just thought this might bypass whatever is slowing down the LAN connection.

I would try this, factory reset the XR and X6 and setup from scratch. Don't use any QoS or VLAN configurations. Smart Connect you'll need to try both enabled and disabled to see if there is any speed changes. Also Beamforming will be a factor. Test enable and disabled. WMM should always be enabled. 

What is the distance between the XR and EX? Should be 30 feet to start. 

Testing with a extender is not ideal as there maybe some processing overhead when it comes to extenders and repeaters. They are known for some slow down behaviors. 

The X6 supports the following:

Band 1: 400Mbps @2.4GHz - 256QAM — Band 2: 866Mbps @5GHz - 256QAM — Band 3: 1733Mbps @5GHz - 256QAM

So you need to be sure what speeds are being tested thru which pipe...

Be sure you are getting max or near 900Mbps on a wired test. I know my XR450 achieves 900Mbps via wired. 😁It's too bad the XR700 doesn't. 🤔

22 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

I would try this, factory reset the XR and X6 and setup from scratch. Don't use any QoS or VLAN configurations. Smart Connect you'll need to try both enabled and disabled to see if there is any speed changes. Also Beamforming will be a factor. Test enable and disabled. WMM should always be enabled. 

What is the distance between the XR and EX? Should be 30 feet to start. 

Testing with a extender is not ideal as there maybe some processing overhead when it comes to extenders and repeaters. They are known for some slow down behaviors. 

The X6 supports the following:

Band 1: 400Mbps @2.4GHz - 256QAM — Band 2: 866Mbps @5GHz - 256QAM — Band 3: 1733Mbps @5GHz - 256QAM

So you need to be sure what speeds are being tested thru which pipe...

Be sure you are getting max or near 900Mbps on a wired test. I know my XR450 achieves 900Mbps via wired. 😁It's too bad the XR700 doesn't. 🤔

I dont use QoS.

I tested with the extender in the same small room as the router, no change.

I HAVE to use the extender since the reason I bought it was to connect my new Server to it.
As I mentioned the odd thing is that the same extender using the same ethernet port connection to my laptop will give me between 500-600Mb when testing internet speeds BUT when using iPerf I will max out at 300Mb. But when testing both internet speeds and iPerf with an ethernet cable directly to the Router I get close to 900Mb.

Now to make things even more weird, I tested transferring a file from my computer to the server (finally is up and running) connected using the extender and it was transferring at 75MB so around 560Mb/s which is around what my internet speed tests were doing. So somehow, even though iPerf gets full speed when connected to the router directly, when it is via the extender it maxes out at 300Mb even though I can see that transfering a file is hitting higher speeds than that.
In any case, 75MB wont cut it either so I guess I am going to just run a long ethernet cable to the basement and forget about the extender.
Thanks!

Thanks for letting us know.

Possible that the extender could be faulty or bad FW.

I don't recommend using extenders for high bandwidth needed transfers. There's too much process going on between the extender and router. Wired is best for these configurations and needs.

Good Luck.

• Administrators

I would assume that if the server is running faster than the test then the iPerf configuration you're using isn't setup correctly, are you using multiple streams? I also found when I used iPerf that iPerf2 performed better than 3 so that may be worth a try as well.

Well the iPerf3 works fine when wired so if it was a configuration issue it wouldnt be any better. 
I will just forget about iPerf and just use a file transfer as my guide since in the end that is what matters and the only reason I was using iPerf was to prepare my connection while my server was getting ready. As the server is now running, I will just use real world transfers to test.
Thanks though.