Having Weird Issues while using Nvidia Shield TV In-Home Gamestream and UPnP.

Hello all;

I'm currently an XR500 owner. Running the latest .56 firmware (A hard reset was performed when the latest firmware was flashed). I currently have both my PC and Nvidia Shield TV HARDWIRED directly to the router on port 1 & 2 respectively. Even thou both equipment are hardwired, I'm facing serious disconnects issue, to the point where the game stream is unplayable due to too many disconnects. I can understand that this might occur when using any of the equipment in WiFi-Mode but this is not the case here. For testing purposes, I hooked my old Asus RT-AC87 running the latest original firmware available and I was able to play flawlessly without any issues, including playing via WiFi. Because of this results, I have a hunch that the problem I'm facing with the XR500 might be because of an OS Bug. 

Now for the UPnP issue, I play a lot of Wareframe which uses ports UDP 4950 and UDP 4955  in order to have an open NAT. I can see the ports mentioned earlier in the UPnP table of the router but whenever I do a test from the inside menu of the game, it says that they are closed. I dont want to use port forward or put my PC in a DMZ because I play a lot of different games and I also work with a lot of different customers from all over the US (IT Consultant here), for that reason, network security is a big concern for me. This used to work flawlessly on the .40 firmware version of DumaOS. Can you guys check if you can replicate this behavior on ur labs?? Downgrading to .40 is not an option for me since .56 included a few security vulnerabilities fix and as I said earlier, security is a big concern for me.

Any help will be appreciated..

Yes this does sound like a firmware bug. You say it didn't happen on the previous version? Usually i'd suggest downgrading as a temporary measure but given your security concerns that's clearly not an option.

I'll make sure Netgear are aware of this bug.

Guest Killhippie

Weird how these bugs work on different set ups, I'm not dropping anything out on Ethernet at all, streaming etc is flawless. This why Netgear should really do more controlled public beta testing as there are so many permutations to check out. Also it could be hardware, you could downgrade briefly and see if things work okay and then update again, but I understand you not wanting to.

Guest Killhippie
18 hours ago, SenSei G said:

Thanks for your prompt replies. I will try disabling QOS and will get back to you guys with some feedback.

Killhipie I really dont think that my hardware is faulty because it worked correctly on .40 Could you try and replicate this on ur end..??

Firmware updates put a lot of strain on routers or any equipment and that’s most likely when will fail,  how many times have you seen computers and phones go down when there is a firmware update on forums.  I’m not saying it’s hardware but the only way to check would be to go back to the previous version and test using that then update without doing a factory reset maybe.  For the small amount of time you’ll be online with the previous firmware you will be fine just to see if it is a firmware issue then  have the latest firmware version downloaded ready so after testing you can update straightaway. If you are still having issues I would contact netgear too as they are in charge of the hardware side of things. 

Hello Guys;

So I have tried what Fraser proposed but its still doing the same thing. I also replaced both Ethernet cables for both devices. I removed my PC from the Geo filter, and even re-installed graphics cards drivers. I'm hooking up my steam link in order to discard my shield tv as a suspect. Will update on my test results soon. If my steam link doesn't work either, then is definitely the router.. 

23 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Firmware updates put a lot of strain on routers or any equipment and that’s most likely when will fail,  how many times have you seen computers and phones go down when there is a firmware update on forums.  I’m not saying it’s hardware but the only way to check would be to go back to the previous version and test using that then update without doing a factory reset maybe.  For the small amount of time you’ll be online with the previous firmware you will be fine just to see if it is a firmware issue then  have the latest firmware version downloaded ready so after testing you can update straightaway. If you are still having issues I would contact netgear too as they are in charge of the hardware side of things. 

It definitely makes sense what you are saying, however I really don't wanna risk it but if it does gives us some light in order to fix this problem, I will go ahead and try it...

On 9/5/2019 at 5:57 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you try putting PC or Shield into the DMZ just for a test to see if that works please?

Hello Fraser;

I don't know if its the router or the nvidia shield tv or my pc. If I use my steam link, I don't experience any disconnect but I do experience frame loss. I tried downgrading to .40 and the disconnects still does occurs but only while using the nvidia shield tv. This is driving me nuts, I cannot seem to be able resolve this issue so I have given up. I will use my steam link for the time being while I think about what I will do with the router. I really think that you guys are doing an awesome job by innovating in this stale industry, and standing out from the same repetitive feature set we see from generation to generation with other vendors. But having something that only works sometimes, gives me too many headaches. Anyways, thank you for your time and patience with us the customers, I know it could get tiring from time to time.

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, SenSei G said:

Hello Fraser;

I don't know if its the router or the nvidia shield tv or my pc. If I use my steam link, I don't experience any disconnect but I do experience frame loss. I tried downgrading to .40 and the disconnects still does occurs but only while using the nvidia shield tv. This is driving me nuts, I cannot seem to be able resolve this issue so I have given up. I will use my steam link for the time being while I think about what I will do with the router. I really think that you guys are doing an awesome job by innovating in this stale industry, and standing out from the same repetitive feature set we see from generation to generation with other vendors. But having something that only works sometimes, gives me too many headaches. Anyways, thank you for your time and patience with us the customers, I know it could get tiring from time to time.

I just took a look at the bug you've reported - it seems like a nasty one. We've alerted Netgear so hopefully we can investigate and get to the bottom of the issue for you.

I'd recommend holding onto your router; if you need to take it out of your setup temporarily then by all means. Soon enough you'll get new upgrades which could resolve the problem you're having, but will also give you a bunch of new features to play with. We're not going to stop supporting you guys. We'll try to let you know if this bug is resolved :)