AT&T Fiber BGW210 Gateway Dumbswitch???

Hey all, 

just curious if anyone has experience with using a dumbswitch for AT&T BGW210 Gateway? Right now I have it in IP Passthrough, which feeds everything straight to the Duma. I see people talking about using a dumbswitch, eliminating the BGW210 Gateway, so they can use their own router. Not sure how that works? Would I be able to connect my own modem at that point, in place of the gateway? So it’d be Modem - Duma - Console, like normal......only with Fiber instead?

Thanks!

• Administrators

If the BGW is passing everything through to the Duma anyway what would be the reason for replacing the gateway? You will need to get a modem anyway so not sure how it would benefit you that much, assuming the BGW can handle the speeds you have already.

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If the BGW is passing everything through to the Duma anyway what would be the reason for replacing the gateway? You will need to get a modem anyway so not sure how it would benefit you that much, assuming the BGW can handle the speeds you have already.

Everything “seems” fine but not sure if the quality of gameplay is being affected by the unknown reliability of handout gateways? Of course my line and everything looks super stable with fiber......but I’ll be honest, I’m sooooooooooo tired of inconsistent gameplay!!! It doesn’t seem to matter what settings I’ve got the Duma on, depending on the room or people, I can go from a 46-1 gameplay, straight to a 6-23 the very next rd.......and I’m good enough to know the difference between someone out gunning me to just crap connection!

Anyone feel free to chime in. 

• Administrators

Well best way to test that would be to test directly connected to the gateway running ping plotter over different times of the day and see if it ever spikes. What pings are you getting on those varying games?

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Well best way to test that would be to test directly connected to the gateway running ping plotter over different times of the day and see if it ever spikes. What pings are you getting on those varying games?

6-7ms ping on the Duma geo. 

• Administrators

Okay well that's almost as good as LAN, which means not only will the game be fairer for you but it will be for others as well which could explain those dying when you don't think you're supposed to moments. I'd suggest trying to force slightly further away servers and see if they play any better.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay well that's almost as good as LAN, which means not only will the game be fairer for you but it will be for others as well which could explain those dying when you don't think you're supposed to moments. I'd suggest trying to force slightly further away servers and see if they play any better.

I’ve tried this before & it was really good then really bad.......frustrating that right when you get your hopes up with consistent play, it tanks for the rest of the night, regardless of settings. I know it’s COD but come on......I see these dudes that seem to crush every room they’re in......I have Fiber 300/300 with 6-7ms ping on the Geo, and no more than a 1-2ms fluctuation on PingPlotter during gameplay..... I have my server set to 8.8.8.8 on PingPlotter with a consistent 5-6ms ping “during” gameplay “without” QOS on. How’s it possible for them to dominate??? Lol 😂   

I’ve seen people talk about how some of these guys are getting an advantage by limiting there upload to less than 1mb and forcing others to lag.........just wondering if the same thing occurs if I lower my upload slider down that far? Even though I don’t need the QOS. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2019 at 7:45 PM, CrossFitKila717 said:

Hey all, 

just curious if anyone has experience with using a dumbswitch for AT&T BGW210 Gateway? Right now I have it in IP Passthrough, which feeds everything straight to the Duma. I see people talking about using a dumbswitch, eliminating the BGW210 Gateway, so they can use their own router. Not sure how that works? Would I be able to connect my own modem at that point, in place of the gateway? So it’d be Modem - Duma - Console, like normal......only with Fiber instead?

Thanks!

Hey Cross,

I have been using the dumb switch method for almost a year now. I have had no issues with doing this, 

Set-up:

Asus AX88U

Netgear S8000 Switch, you could use a different switch. 

I have been debating about trying the XR500, but I see alot of issues that people have with this product. I have never really been a big fan of netgear products, to be honest. 

For fot to mention I also have at&t fiber 1 gig.

Here is the link on how to set it up.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32094182-