So I upgraded from having the R1 to this XR500...my problem is when If I run the XR500 in DMZ and upnp...for some reason I'm getting moderate nat type in the COD (yes I know the game is garbage haha). So I tried port forwarding ports with DMZ and UPNP on and I got an open but it feels pretty laggy (way more then usual). Finally I tried using DCHP with address reservation like how the R1 was and I turned off UPNP but left DMZ on and got an open. My question is....does this sound normal? on any of my netgears routers Ive always been able to just DMZ/UPNP it and open. Can anyone think of what would cause this? Also, It is ok to just run DMZ with DHCP with ports open? IT wont cause any conflict will it?

I would use upnp, port-forwarding, or dmz (in that order of priority).  I prefer upnp when I have to get multiple devices port-forwarded but when I just am concerned about a single device manual port-forwarding seems to work best for me. And last but not least I use dmz when none of the previous options are not giving me satisfactory results.

Running upnp, dmz, or port-forwarding together in any order or combination can cause issues. Just a suggestion.

I personally use DMZ as a test method. If DMZ will give me an open NAT, then I know it's possible to achieve this with my router. If it will not give me open NAT, then I know the problem is upstream.

As @PharmDawgg says, UPnP is the ideal solution because multiple devices can coexist seamlessly. If you have multiple games consoles, Port Forwarding will only be useful for one of them.

Thanks alot guys! I ended up taking DMZ off...turning UPNP back on and leaving my ports forward and leaving my address reservation static and reset everything and got a open nat and I can tell the hitmarks are alot better and the game in general is playing better. Thanks again for the help!