XR700 is not reaching the 940Mbps speed on the WAN Port

Earlier today, I reported an issue with the WAN Port on the XR700 that can't run the speed at 940Mbps with or without QoS "On".

FURRYe38 on the Netgear community was able to replicate and tested out the issue. He confirmed the same problem and you can see his data results here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR700-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/1768795#M11573

Netduma Team could you please have a look on this issue with the WAN Port on the XR700.

Thank you,

• Administrators

Hi Donovan, I saw you posted this in another topic and Alex replied so I assume the team are aware of this and I'll respond on both the Netgear topics as well but could you provide some more information about the tests you performed and the settings you used as well as what your physical setup is please.

Hi Fraser, Alex did replied to my post but I can't really tell you if your team are aware of this issue. Maybe you can inform them to make sure they know.

For my test,  I did the 3 physical setups:

Setup #1) ISP Cable 940Mbps/50Mbps -> Technicolor TC4400 Modem -> Workstation

and

Setup #2) ISP Cable 940Mbps/50Mbps -> Technicolor TC4400 Modem -> WAN Port on the XR700 router -> Workstation.

Note: Setting for XR700: After a factory reset, the Wifi physical switch was at the position "OFF", with or without QoS, and ABB is at 100% and at Always or at Never. I only plug one device on the LAN port of my XR700 and the remaining LAN Ports are not occupied by any device.

and

Setup#3) ISP Cable 940Mbps/50Mbps -> Technicolor TC4400 Modem -> WAN Port on Linksys WRT3200ACM router -> Workstation.

I did my speedtest with my ISP website and on phone with the technician of my ISP. I was able to get the full speed directly with the first and the third setup but not with the second setup when you use the WAN port on the XR700.

• Administrators

In the second setup did you make sure that you had input 1000/1000 for speeds? 

Also using the ISP speed test won't be an accurate real world test as it'll be very close to your home which isn't what will happen most when online, what do you get using speedtest.net?

I did ask the team last night to try and reproduce the issue.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:18 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

In the second setup did you make sure that you had input 1000/1000 for speeds?  

Yes at 1000/1000 and also with 940/50. I'm getting the same result.

Also using the ISP speed test won't be an accurate real world test as it'll be very close to your home which isn't what will happen most when online, what do you get using speedtest.net?

First, I tried speedtest.net and it is where I find out that my XR700 can't get the 1Gbps speed. So I went on my ISP speed test to see if I can get the full 1Gbps and the result is the same. I can't get the full 1Gbps speed with the XR700 on my ISP speed test.

So I tested the setup #1 to see if there's an issue with my internet 1Gbps speed and I have no problem to get the full speed with my ISP speed test and speedtest.net before I test the setup #2 and #3. Only the setup #1 and #3 passed the full Gigabit speed and not with the XR700.

I did ask the team last night to try and reproduce the issue.

Was the team able to reproduce the error on a XR700? Or did the team find anything?

• Administrators

Okay thank you for the information. As it is the weekend they won't be in the office, the earliest they could try to reproduce would be next week assuming they have the time to do so. I will keep you updated.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same problem here. Speed test 940/940 Mpbs direct attached to ONT via LAN but using the SFP+ port the WAN speedtest won't go pass 660 Mpbs in my case for the download. Tried different combinations but always got similar results.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hitting the same issue as the OP but with firmware V1.0.1.34 for the XR700.

Funny story, I'm getting close to 500 Mbps (though ISP and router detected 1 Gbps) if I'm just doing WiFi on the same Windows 10 64b machine with my ethernet disabled.

With ethernet I'm getting in the neighborhood of 220 Mbps.  QoS is off, Goodput is off, port aggregation is off.

I can also get 500Mbps+ when running the Speedtest app on my iOS devices.

Now that it's been over a year and the OP did a whole lot of work, are there any updates (please say, "Yes, hit this easy button.")?

A few firmware versions back, everything tested fine hitting typically 900 Mbps.

I had the cable company out to check my house and neighborhood a couple of times and now they think I should be getting closer to 500 Mbps at least.  When I plug directly into the cable company's CM8200A's second port directly via ethernet, I'm getting 500 Mbps.

Help?

• Administrators

How many devices have you tested the ethernet with? There isn't any specific ethernet/port settings that would affect this, usually if there was just an ethernet speed issue it would be because the ethernet cable is limited.

Have you factory reset the XR router and power cycled the ISP Modem OFF for 1 minute then back ON? Then walk thru the setup wizard with the XR. Input 1000Mbps if you manually set the speed or let the wizard check the speed for you, what does the setup wizard report finding for it's test run here? 

Be sure to use WAN port #1 on the ISP modem for the connection to the XR router. 

Be sure that ALL devices are disconnected from the XR router accept for 1 wired PC. 

First run Ooklas installable speed test app on your wired PC soon after the wizards completes. Or disable QoS, reboot the XR router then speed test with the wired PC. 

Some wifi devices will be limited to 400-500Mpbs over a wireless connection for speed testing. 

Check your connection rates on your mobile devices with wifisweetspots. 

11 hours ago, Zen.Rebel said:

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hitting the same issue as the OP but with firmware V1.0.1.34 for the XR700.

Funny story, I'm getting close to 500 Mbps (though ISP and router detected 1 Gbps) if I'm just doing WiFi on the same Windows 10 64b machine with my ethernet disabled.

With ethernet I'm getting in the neighborhood of 220 Mbps.  QoS is off, Goodput is off, port aggregation is off.

I can also get 500Mbps+ when running the Speedtest app on my iOS devices.

Now that it's been over a year and the OP did a whole lot of work, are there any updates (please say, "Yes, hit this easy button.")?

A few firmware versions back, everything tested fine hitting typically 900 Mbps.

I had the cable company out to check my house and neighborhood a couple of times and now they think I should be getting closer to 500 Mbps at least.  When I plug directly into the cable company's CM8200A's second port directly via ethernet, I'm getting 500 Mbps.

Help?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How many devices have you tested the ethernet with? There isn't any specific ethernet/port settings that would affect this, usually if there was just an ethernet speed issue it would be because the ethernet cable is limited.

Thanks for the help Netduma Fraser.  Tested with three devices: 2 Windows 10 Enterprise 64b machines (Surface Book 2 and Surface Laptop 2) and 1 old ThinkPad X61 on Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon.  The 2 Windows machines exhibit the same behavior using different ethernet cables (a set of CAT7s and CAT8s, yes a bit of overkill), using both a Surface Dock 2 and using a 1 Gbps USB adapter.  I am checking speeds using the Windows 10 Speedtest app and using the same nearby destination server to help baseline.  The 1 old ThinkPad is an odd one, the WiFi is limited and the same USB adapter show way lower speeds 2 at around 40 Mbps (using speedtest.net and a speedtest command line app).  Based on your comment, I'll do some more switching out of cables across the different connections.  Fingers crossed I have been using a bad set of cables.

1 hour ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Have you factory reset the XR router and power cycled the ISP Modem OFF for 1 minute then back ON? Then walk thru the setup wizard with the XR. Input 1000Mbps if you manually set the speed or let the wizard check the speed for you, what does the setup wizard report finding for it's test run here? 

Be sure to use WAN port #1 on the ISP modem for the connection to the XR router. 

Be sure that ALL devices are disconnected from the XR router accept for 1 wired PC. 

First run Ooklas installable speed test app on your wired PC soon after the wizards completes. Or disable QoS, reboot the XR router then speed test with the wired PC. 

Some wifi devices will be limited to 400-500Mpbs over a wireless connection for speed testing. 

Check your connection rates on your mobile devices with wifisweetspots. 

Thanks for the help e38BimmerFN.  I have factory reset the XR router with an ISP Modem power cycle of greater than 1 minute.  When the router went through it's set up, it did update the firmware on me and I haven't reset it since then though.  Set up wizard reports back 1000 Mbps during it's test run.  I haven't set it manually since it seemed to set it correctly.

I've used both WAN ports as well to see if there's a difference but have it back to Port #1.

What I haven't done is turned off WiFi to disconnect all devices (I've just removed the hard wires except for the one to my machine).

I did use Oooklas speedtest app before and after disabling QoS with multiple reboots and checks on my 2 Windows 10 machines (for my Linux machine, I used their noisy site and a command line app, but that old Linux machine isn't up to snuff).

Good to know about the WiFi limitations!  I did not know that.  My goal right now is to get the wired connections up to match (or higher) numbers than my wireless devices to help me talk to my cable company why I'm not seeing 1 Gbps speeds (or at least closer like before) and then I'll go check on the wireless performance being lower.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Zen.Rebel said:

Thanks for the help Netduma Fraser.  Tested with three devices: 2 Windows 10 Enterprise 64b machines (Surface Book 2 and Surface Laptop 2) and 1 old ThinkPad X61 on Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon.  The 2 Windows machines exhibit the same behavior using different ethernet cables (a set of CAT7s and CAT8s, yes a bit of overkill), using both a Surface Dock 2 and using a 1 Gbps USB adapter.  I am checking speeds using the Windows 10 Speedtest app and using the same nearby destination server to help baseline.  The 1 old ThinkPad is an odd one, the WiFi is limited and the same USB adapter show way lower speeds 2 at around 40 Mbps (using speedtest.net and a speedtest command line app).  Based on your comment, I'll do some more switching out of cables across the different connections.  Fingers crossed I have been using a bad set of cables.

It could be a firmware issue so we won't rule that out but do let us know how you get on.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It could be a firmware issue so we won't rule that out but do let us know how you get on.

Hello again.  Well, I'm bummed.  I *solved* the issue by going back to an old Netgear AC1900 that I have DD-WRT (build 42847) installed.  All same connections, machines, everything... my speed using Ookla's speedtest app just clocked at 912 Mbps.  So my ethernet connection is what I expected with my old AC1900 (and what I had gotten with the XR700 a while ago, prior to a couple of firmware updates).  That's not cool.  I need the power of the XR700 to broadcast it's WiFi signal.  Am I stuck with an XR700 with faulty firmware/hardware?

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, Zen.Rebel said:

Hello again.  Well, I'm bummed.  I *solved* the issue by going back to an old Netgear AC1900 that I have DD-WRT (build 42847) installed.  All same connections, machines, everything... my speed using Ookla's speedtest app just clocked at 912 Mbps.  So my ethernet connection is what I expected with my old AC1900 (and what I had gotten with the XR700 a while ago, prior to a couple of firmware updates).  That's not cool.  I need the power of the XR700 to broadcast it's WiFi signal.  Am I stuck with an XR700 with faulty firmware/hardware?

I've got an idea, it isn't ideal but there should be the 3.0 update available for the XR700 in I would estimate about 2 weeks. Until then you could put the XR700 in AP mode and get full speeds to your WiFi devices.

36 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I've got an idea, it isn't ideal but there should be the 3.0 update available for the XR700 in I would estimate about 2 weeks. Until then you could put the XR700 in AP mode and get full speeds to your WiFi devices.

Thanks again Neduma Fraser.  Hmmm as in a firmware or software update? Or a model/hardware update?  Either way, I'm cool to wait for a few weeks.  Right now I have the XR700 connected to the modem's Port #2 and providing WiFi only throughout the house and the AC1900 connected to my primary work-from-home machines in my office. Seems to be stable now but am looking forward to just having the XR700 working well.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, Zen.Rebel said:

Thanks again Neduma Fraser.  Hmmm as in a firmware or software update? Or a model/hardware update?  Either way, I'm cool to wait for a few weeks.  Right now I have the XR700 connected to the modem's Port #2 and providing WiFi only throughout the house and the AC1900 connected to my primary work-from-home machines in my office. Seems to be stable now but am looking forward to just having the XR700 working well.

It would be a firmware/software update to 3.0 which brings a whole host of new features and improvements so fingers crossed that would fix it for you. Thank you for your patience.

• 10 months later...

I always seem to come in late to these discussions.

Are the ports on the XR700 1Gbit (LAN side), the reason why I ask is I have just bought a managed switch, and it indicates the connection speed (green light = 1Gbit, orange light 10/100), the connection to the XR700 is orange, even my PS5 has a 1Gbit connection, though my iMac is supposed to have a 1Gbit connection (it doesn’t and is not your problem, just mentioning it in passing). Am I missing something?

Apologies for this, but this seemed to be the right place to put this.

2 hours ago, Mrbchambers said:

I always seem to come in late to these discussions.

Are the ports on the XR700 1Gbit (LAN side), the reason why I ask is I have just bought a managed switch, and it indicates the connection speed (green light = 1Gbit, orange light 10/100), the connection to the XR700 is orange, even my PS5 has a 1Gbit connection, though my iMac is supposed to have a 1Gbit connection (it doesn’t and is not your problem, just mentioning it in passing). Am I missing something?

Apologies for this, but this seemed to be the right place to put this.

Please ignore this post, but not this reply, I changed the cable and would you believe it that fixed the problem. Don’t trust what you are told about cable specification, because I bought Cat 7 cable, only to find out that it really isn’t, when I plugged the older cat 5e cable into the router and switch, everything worked fine. The irony of buying a better cable to replace an older one, then reverting back to the older cable, because the new one isn’t what it was supposed to be, well! that’s really annoying.On the plus side I hadn’t removed the old cable, so I didn’t have to run anything round the house.

You may have had a bad CAT7 cable. CAT6 is recommended though CAT 7 should work as wekk. Cables are manufactured all over so you may have got a bad cable. Also be sure you get the right CAT cable too. There are straight thru and cross over and other kinds. 

What is the mfr and model of this switch?

I prefer to get cables from deepsurplus or monoprice. 

3 hours ago, Mrbchambers said:

Please ignore this post, but not this reply, I changed the cable and would you believe it that fixed the problem. Don’t trust what you are told about cable specification, because I bought Cat 7 cable, only to find out that it really isn’t, when I plugged the older cat 5e cable into the router and switch, everything worked fine. The irony of buying a better cable to replace an older one, then reverting back to the older cable, because the new one isn’t what it was supposed to be, well! that’s really annoying.On the plus side I hadn’t removed the old cable, so I didn’t have to run anything round the house.

The switch is a Unifi Network lite 8 POE.

The cable did work but only at 10/100, I bought it from amazon, that I think was my first mistake.... The blurb went like this: Cat 7 Ethernet Cable 20M,NeeKeons Cat 7 Flat Ethernet Cable LAN Cables Modem Router Network Built withGold Plated & Nylon Braided Jacket Shielded RJ45 Connectors (Blue 20M), Braided Nylon Sheath Made The Cable More Strong. Cat7 cable Compatible with Cat5, Cat5e cat6 and cat6A ethernet cables.

I will be taking your advice and purchasing a cat 6 cable.

1 hour ago, e38BimmerFN said:

Ya, you could be getting anything from Amazon. 

https://deepsurplus.com/pages/cat-6-patch-cables

Try a different switch to be sure even though most switches should work or not cause problems. 

Those prices are really good for those cables, though unfortunately, I am in the UK so couldn’t justify the P+P,