Do I need to keep my PC on for Netduma to work correctly?

Hi guys,

The first question, I use a laptop when I'm on the Geo-Filter home page (http://192.168.88.1/), and I'm connected on WIFI. The router is only around a meter away from the laptop, however, would it be beneficial if I connected via Ethernet to my laptop instead?

The second question, usually when I set up my gaming session, I turn my laptop on, go to the Geo-Filter home page, then turn my PS4 on and have a good few hours of gaming, and then close my laptop down and carry on with my day. 

Can I do any of these options instead:

A: I turn my laptop on, go set up geo filter, turn PS4 on, load into my game, shut down my laptop completely. Carry on gaming untilI'm done.

B: Never need to turn on my laptop at all, and the settings work automatically with any need for me to even touch my laptop?

I'm just wondering if me needing to even be on my laptop or to have it within range or me have the geo-filter home page open part of the process. Or do I not even need to do any of this?

Thanks for the help everyone! 

• Administrators

It makes no difference how you connect to the router to change settings, they will change successfully either way. If you already have the Geo-Filter setup how you want then you don't need to access the interface again, you can just start playing immediately. The settings are saved on the router not on the browser so once a setting has been changed it will stay that way until you change it again.

• 3 months later...
On 6/15/2019 at 8:27 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

It makes no difference how you connect to the router to change settings, they will change successfully either way. If you already have the Geo-Filter setup how you want then you don't need to access the interface again, you can just start playing immediately. The settings are saved on the router not on the browser so once a setting has been changed it will stay that way until you change it again.

Hey Fraser, 

one concern /question about what you said..........I’ve seen quite a few conversations stating that we should be booting up the game, then once we’re at the main lobby screen, to “then” enable the Geo......so in this case, we’d have to have our laptop up and Geo open. Is this not true?

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Hey Fraser, 

one concern /question about what you said..........I’ve seen quite a few conversations stating that we should be booting up the game, then once we’re at the main lobby screen, to “then” enable the Geo......so in this case, we’d have to have our laptop up and Geo open. Is this not true?

At the moment that's the case - that's why we're building a phone app so it's way less of a chore. We've also been investigating ways to automate the Geo-Filter, so that could happen one day.

5 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

At the moment that's the case - that's why we're building a phone app so it's way less of a chore. We've also been investigating ways to automate the Geo-Filter, so that could happen one day.

Very cool. So what exactly is the reasoning for having to turn the geo off before shutdown & booting back up once console is at main game lobby page? For turning off, we’re just simply “checking” spectating mode?

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Very cool. So what exactly is the reasoning for having to turn the geo off before shutdown & booting back up once console is at main game lobby page? For turning off, we’re just simply “checking” spectating mode?

Yup Spectator Mode will do it. The reason is that the Geo-Filter can block NAT servers if it's enabled while the console is booting up. This depends on your region really - a lot of people don't have that problem. It also depends on the game you're playing.

Now, automating our Geo-Filter cloud database is a process we're working on. If we can find a way to get the cloud to automatically detect NAT servers and changes to them, whitelisting them... Well, that'd mean you don't have to disable your Geo-Filter at all :)

Maybe some day!