High ping after xr500 install

Hey,

Ive recently installed the xr500 after having issues with virgins not so super superhub. The install went fine with the exception of my ping now being a solid 26, it is typically 22. 

Now, I have looked on the forums and I have seen it has been suggested to change the MAC address, however, when i do this I lose internet. My question is, am I right in thinking the MAC address is printed on the old SH or do I need to reset the SH and acquire the address from the admin page ?

Slightly off topic, I dont seem to pick up any servers in the geo-filter section, is this normal?

You should be fine if you place your SH in "modem only mode" in that routrs GUI. reboot the SH then add the XR500 and reboot that (best if it is factory reset or changed to DHCP prior to this.

Regarding not picking up servers in the Geo-Filter section:

Make sure that you have added your device to the Geo-Filter before starting a game. Make sure that it is picked up as the correct device type (Computer, Xbox, Playstation, etc)... If device type is wrong, go to Device Manager and change it. Give your device a clear name that will stop it being confused with other devices on your network.

Keep in mind that a device will appear two times if you use Wifi and Ethernet. Each connection type to the console is seen as a new device. Make sure you've got the right one in the Geo-Filter!

59 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Regarding not picking up servers in the Geo-Filter section:

Make sure that you have added your device to the Geo-Filter before starting a game. Make sure that it is picked up as the correct device type (Computer, Xbox, Playstation, etc)... If device type is wrong, go to Device Manager and change it. Give your device a clear name that will stop it being confused with other devices on your network.

Keep in mind that a device will appear two times if you use Wifi and Ethernet. Each connection type to the console is seen as a new device. Make sure you've got the right one in the Geo-Filter!

Hi, 

when i go to add device, I get very limited options in regards to games so, I if I want to add fifa, I have to do via the profile selection.

Are you playing FIFA on console? I'm going to assume you are for this post.

• Remove console from Geo-Filter
  • Go to Device Manager, select your console, change device type from Computer to PlayStation (or Xbox, they're the same)
  • Now put console back into Geo-Filter, it won't ask what game you're playing

Ignore the profiles button, just set your radius and ping assist how you'd like.

ALSO: There's usually no need to fiddle with the MAC address.

Oh okay. I just assumed you would be using a console since it's more common.

When you put a computer into the Geo-Filter, it will ask what game you're playing. In order to change the game, you'd have to add your computer into the Geo-Filter again, possibly removing one of the old entries.

The profiles button just changes your radius, and will enable or disable strict mode depending on the needs of the game. For example, Destiny requires strict mode to be off.

5 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Oh okay. I just assumed you would be using a console since it's more common.

When you put a computer into the Geo-Filter, it will ask what game you're playing. In order to change the game, you'd have to add your computer into the Geo-Filter again, possibly removing one of the old entries.

The profiles button just changes your radius, and will enable or disable strict mode depending on the needs of the game. For example, Destiny requires strict mode to be off.

Ok so if Im only able to select games from the list, then I cant actually use Geo-filter for Fifa can I? Unless I select battlefield? ( assumption that they use the same servers and employ the same engine)

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd suggest in the Device Manager that you change your PC to either a PlayStation or Xbox and then re-add it to the Geo-Filter, it'll add this as a console and then it should pick up FIFA.

Yeah that seemed to work. I do find that it shows me all the EA servers for a very brief moment of time and then goes blank. The only time I will see anything appear is during matchmaking. Im going to assume that is normal for this game though.

Still havent been able to reduce my ping but, i will attempt to reset both devices once more. 

Thanks

Ok, I’ve performed numerous restarts and I’m stuck this higher ping than what I would have using the superhub. 

What steps can I take to get this resolved ?

EDIT- So I actually had a brand new xr500 being delivered as the one I bough 'like new' was being returned. Turns out that the actual new router now displays a better ping than the like new one. I guess either something is wrong with the other router or there perhaps happens to be a setting in there that is causing the higher ping. 

So from 26, im down to 21 now.

• Administrators

Yes that is normal, depending on the game you'll usually see a lot of servers when you first start up the game and they will then disappear. This is the game pinging different servers to determine which to place you on. When you're actually searching for a game it won't show you all those servers so yes normal behaviour. Ah that's fantastic, glad to hear the router is performing well! Am I okay to close this topic as your issue seems to be resolved?