Pingplotter Help

Alix

Hi during the day I get all A grades  from dslreports.com from the netduma router upstairs but if I connected the main router I don't get all A grades. On a night I find my self changing settings on the netduma. So today I connected my phone and tablet to the downstairs router and run a YouTube video and downloaded a game at the same time and run pingplotter for a bit. The results are in the photo labeled downstairs main router. Did the same on the netduma router upstairs again the results are labeled netduma upstairs. Do you think I have it set up right thanks for any advice 

IMG_20190524_132925.jpg

sketch-1558701647468.jpg

sketch-159.jpg

Edited by Alix

Powerline adapter's also anti-bufferbloat must work using powerline adapter's as I get all A from the netduma from dslreports.com and don't get all A grades from downstairs router which as no qos set on it 

Edited by Alix

Well the results seem largely similar. This may be because the NetDuma router cannot control traffic from devices which are upstream from it. For example, anything connected to the other router (not Netduma) cannot be controlled by the Netduma. This makes the QoS settings kind of pointless.

The ideal setup would be to swap the routers so that you have the Netduma where the connection comes into the house, and the other router used to extend the network. This might not be possible though depending on your ISP.

The advantage of a setup like that is that the Netduma would control everything on the network and improve the ping stability for everybody.

I did also put into the main router downstairs the netduma wan ip address into dmz seems to be okay no double natting 

So qos no good for the xbox using the powerline adapters with the netduma?. Any reason why I get better grades with dslreports using the netduma and not ASUS router which as no qos?

Honestly I don't actually know how DSLreports judges your QoS. I might need to ask one of the developers.

The QoS will work but only for devices connected to the Netduma. For example, let's say you have your Xbox connected to the Netduma playing a game, and also your laptop connected to the Netduma, streaming a movie. The Netduma will limit the bandwidth that the laptop can use for the movie, meaning there is still room for your game.

Now let's say you had the exact same setup except that the laptop was connected to the other router instead of the Netduma. Now the laptop will be free to use as much bandwidth as it can to stream that movie, and your Netduma router won't be able to stop it. This means that your game on Xbox might start lagging because the movie is using up all of the bandwidth.

This video that we made a while ago actually explains it really well: 

8 hours ago, Alix said:

Hi during the day I get all A grades  from dslreports.com from the netduma router upstairs but if I connected the main router I don't get all A grades. On a night I find my self changing settings on the netduma. So today I connected my phone and tablet to the downstairs router and run a YouTube video and downloaded a game at the same time and run pingplotter for a bit. The results are in the photo labeled downstairs main router. Did the same on the netduma router upstairs again the results are labeled netduma upstairs. Do you think I have it set up right thanks for any advice 

IMG_20190524_132925.jpg

sketch-1558701647468.jpg

sketch-159.jpg

Do not use dsl reports. That site is trash. I used to use it. Ping is the only thing that matters so stick to ping plotter, absolutely. Toy around with your sliders until you get the least amount of spikes. Mine is set at 40d/70up. I spent about an hour on there to figure it out. If the game isn't playing well or right then you know its not on your its the shit servers. I'm going to make a video on the best way to use ping plotter down the road.

What confused me is that I get good reading from dsl reports in the morning about tea time dslreports changed so was changing settings just so confused. Don't know if it's because I have whisp Internet and anything can change

Edited by Alix

Decrease them. The idea is to get it so that the total bandwidth usage of all of the devices on your network is less than your bandwidth limit, so that you don't have to drop excess packets.

There's a great explanation here: https://netduma.com/blog/beginners-guide-to-bufferbloat/

That's what I was confused about do I decrease or increase the sliders when there is a ping spikes thank you very much for making that clear for me and thanks for the link. Do you think having wireless Internet and not getting the same speeds all the time doesn't help in spikes 🤔

• Administrators

As in your internet comes through wirelessly from an access point? Yes that certainly wouldn't help, your base ping will likely fluctuate quite a bit but theres not much you can do about that.