Traffic prioritization question

Micbot

I actually would like to know what the exact ports are also!  I know they say it covers about everything.. But I actually like to know the actual port numbers..   Not sure that is what your asking but I know I would like to know..

Zippy.

23 minutes ago, Zippy said:

I actually would like to know what the exact ports are also!  I know they say it covers about everything.. But I actually like to know the actual port numbers..   Not sure that is what your asking but I know I would like to know..

Zippy.

Yes that's what i'm asking. I wanted to know because on my Xbox when i'm not gaming the circle will still light red and it led me to wonder what the games console service ports were to make background traffic on the Xbox to count as high priority. 

Exactly!! Honestly the only ports I want to prioritize are ports for gaming.. Nothing else.. I feel the performance is much better when one can target specific ports for a particular game then a wide range.. Just for the simple reason you stated above. Plus the in game performance is much better that way..  Good post btw.. Ive been meaning to ask this very same thing! 

Zippy.

6 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

It actually prioritises all UDP ports.

Oh ok but, Is it possible to see the specific UDP ports that are being used by the xbox that count non gaming traffic as high priority? A couple times I've tried manually entering the requires ports to play any game on xbox live, but when I started to play a game it would never be counted as high priority traffic. As soon as I used the game console preset, it seems to prioritize any traffic coming from the xbox. But now I'm trying to figure out a way to prioritize only gaming traffic rather than background traffic from the console.

Exactly what Micbot is saying is something ive been really stumped on also.. Example.. Lets say the game im playing uses port 4200 UDP if I add that port it doesn't recognize that port as high priority.. Even though I know it is suppose to it doesn't.. So if I hook up my ASUS router and prioritize that particular port it recognizes it as a high priority.. Ive even done a wireshark capture to verify this and sure enough it is a main UDP port that is used when playing the game.. Now when I add that port in my xr500 it doesn't recognize that port at all. And it is a UDP port.. The only UDP ports I want to prioritize are the ones for games.. You wouldn't benefit from prioritizing all UDP ports.. There are UDP ports that Xbox uses that are not used for actual in game playing..  Hope this helps explain the situation we face..

Zippy.

We only prioritise UDP ports for gaming, because most things that would use a lot of bandwidth would be done over TCP. For example, background downloads on your Xbox would go through TCP, because they need to confirm receipt of packets to make sure you got the whole file. In theory, the only things that should be UDP are gaming and voice chat.

The High Priority indicator can take a few minutes to turn off after you stop playing, but perhaps some other traffic is causing it to activate? If it's activating when your Xbox is in standby, there must be some kind of UDP traffic coming through, perhaps some authentication thing with Microsoft. I bet that if you check the High Priority packets while your Xbox is in standby, there will only be a small number coming through.

Regarding the targeting of specific ports, they can actually change between games, even between matches! There would be no way for us to know which packets were gaming related and which weren't, unless we had some kind of direct communication with the Xbox system software, which we don't. At first I thought this was a pretty big flaw but actually since it's only UDP traffic, it shouldn't be a problem.

The only potential issue is that your Xbox may keep anti-bufferbloat activated because it is always sending small amounts of UDP traffic... If this happens, I'm afraid I don't have a solution at present apart from manually activating and deactivating anti-bufferbloat as needed.

• 6 months later...
On 5/14/2019 at 3:08 PM, Netduma Alex said:

Regarding the targeting of specific ports, they can actually change between games, even between matches! There would be no way for us to know which packets were gaming related and which weren't, unless we had some kind of direct communication with the Xbox system software, which we don't. At first I thought this was a pretty big flaw but actually since it's only UDP traffic, it shouldn't be a problem.

I believe i have found away.

First filter your connections from "ctwatch" to show all source ports(sport) that match 3074,  then filter for timeout value above 290, then filter the destination port (dport)to not match 3074, you also need sbytes to be above 517. Now you will be left with Matchmaking server and game servers, to identify matchmaking server you must check (spackets) and (dpackets) = the same. whats left is game servers the one with the highest timeout is the current game server. 

Now by using that you can automate only adding specific ports for that current game only for example game 1 could be sport=3074 dport=30035 then the next game could be sport=3074 dport=30987, its about being specific and improving whats already good.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, RedBull2k said:

I believe i have found away.

First filter your connections from "ctwatch" to show all source ports(sport) that match 3074,  then filter for timeout value above 290, then filter the destination port (dport)to not match 3074, you also need sbytes to be above 517. Now you will be left with Matchmaking server and game servers, to identify matchmaking server you must check (spackets) and (dpackets) = the same. whats left is game servers the one with the highest timeout is the current game server. 

Now by using that you can automate only adding specific ports for that current game only for example game 1 could be sport=3074 dport=30035 then the next game could be sport=3074 dport=30987, its about being specific and improving whats already good.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass this on to the devs!