Lag spikes PLEASE HELP HUB 3 XR500

Virgin Media Hub 3 Vivid 350 package

Had engineers out 3 times and the hub changed once. 

nothing has changed so i bought a Nighthawk XR500 router which led me to this forum. 1038810120_hub3test3.thumb.png.731cbbaedfce43ce46e2472b9340af8b.png

The problem isn't with the XR500 i think its the hub 3 as this was the issue before. Does anyone know of a fix for this or can they see any obvious issues from this data? 

Cheers 

Morty.

image.8.8.8.8.2019-04-29-06-59-27.png

• Netduma Staff

Hmm, this is a strange one. Your issue is obviously massive packet loss at random intervals - your actual ping graph (which is kinda' pushed to the bottom of the page by the packet loss) doesn't look too bad. It seems you're getting a massive drop-out / spike every now and again, and since your second test is for 60 minutes I guess they're lasting for a few minutes at a time.

That being said, maybe it's the Google server playing up. Try a test to Twitter.com on a wired PC, and try switching your Ethernet cable. That'll rule out a few things. As you said though, this certainly isn't an issue with the XR500 - it might even be worth keeping it disconnected for these tests.

Hub 3s are notoriously bad but this is something else, as you have had two hub 3s with the same issue.

The packet loss starts from the hubs first hop.

I would not attempt gaming with this issue you need Virgin to fix this problem. get them back out and show the engineer the plot you have showed us.

Have you changed out the cable from the hub to the wall?

Have they done any checks to the network outside your property?

Thanks for the reply.. 

I've tried Twitter.com and the test was done on a laptop with a Ethernet cable. I haven't tried swapping them for the test but I swapped them on my PS4 Sunday and still had the same issue :(

yeah gaming is impossible.. 

Virgin have sent 3 engineers now. The first said utilisation issue which was closed on 10/04. The second changed the hub. The third changed a connector on the line from the wall to the hub and tweeked the settings. The ping was lowe after this but the spikes were still there. 

My mate lives next door he's on the same supplier as me and he has the exact same issue. 

i guess I'll have to get them back out and see what they say. Tbh I don't think they have a clue though. 

thanks

Morty 

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, morty_775 said:

Okay thanks. I'll do that tonight. 

They're coming out tomorrow so we will see if they can find a fault the 4th time 😂 

^ Cracking advice from Zennon above - ultimately pressure from more than one home can often spur them into action. If they catch wind that your neighbours are having issues as well it could help your case.