Best host analysis

I know this might be a taxing service to use. Is it possible that the router can simultaneously determine ping AND jitter when searching for hosts. That way when a player searches, they are ping testing and getting analytical info on every host and the router can cleverly accept the best of the connections based on what it get for information. I know its possible to run multiple pings from a PC at once and get feedback, could the stronger routers handle that? I mean they are basically mini computers lol. This feedback could report to cloud of "known good connections" in which a player could additionally select a different filter option such as "pick known good hosts". It would be experimental at best, but I think it would be a genius idea. 

• Netduma Staff

Awesome idea. We've brainstormed the Geo-Filter so many times at this point; there's so many options and directions we could take. One day I hope we find an effective way to automate the Geo-Filter entirely; there's drawbacks to many of the options, especially in terms of performance. I think it'll happen one day though :)

10 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Awesome idea. We've brainstormed the Geo-Filter so many times at this point; there's so many options and directions we could take. One day I hope we find an effective way to automate the Geo-Filter entirely; there's drawbacks to many of the options, especially in terms of performance. I think it'll happen one day though :)

Right, the obvious limitations of internet speed and hardware. But ping tests are fairly responsive. The routers we have now are quite powerful too. It’s possible they might be able to handle it?

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, bbursley said:

Right, the obvious limitations of internet speed and hardware. But ping tests are fairly responsive. The routers we have now are quite powerful too. It’s possible they might be able to handle it?

I'm sure it could handle it, I imagine the drawback to your specific idea would be increased search times in game while all the connections are compared to each other and then deciding what connection to allow. E.g. what would be preferred - low ping but fluctuates by 20ms every 30 seconds or a high ping (higher than the low ping and higher then when it fluctuates) but no jitter?  

What Fraser has mentioned about search times is a very good point to make.. Also on a side note when a game developer makes a game they can better things a lot on there end also.. But the problem is players complain about the search times..  And then that usually leads to a poor performing games.. Ive seen this go back and forth on games.. Players will complain about poor performance and then the developer will adjust for that.. Then right after the adjustment players complain about to long of search times.. Its like a vicious circle.. They never seem to find that happy medium.. A prime example of this issue is H5.. Because the games population is so low there search range is wide open.. And whats bad about that is if you solo search your going to find everyone on your team will have a wide range on pings..  And the game has a very hard time syncing players then.. When I see a Champion level player on my team I know the game is going to play very odd.. And nine times out of ten it does.. It comes down to ping.. That Champ likely is so close to the server hosting the game his/her ping is just insanely low compared to the rest on the team.. Which is unfortunate.. There are many times I could out skill that Champ.. But I just cant beat his/her ping!! 😕 

Zippy..