Jump to content
Buster

BT Openreach modem Hauwei hg612 unlocked set up

Recommended Posts

Hello, I am running DUMA OS and I have been told in the past that if possible i should input my PPPOE login details into my modem which is what I am trying to do.

I have an UNLOCKED BT OPENREACH Hauwei hg612 and I am on BT infinity from my ISP.

I can access the interface just fine, but i am struggling to set it up correctly to get internet access.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The XR500 handles pppoe absolutely fine, it would be alot easier for you to use the pppoe on the XR500.

 

If you really really want to your login for bt is [email protected] for your username and your password can be anything but not blank.

 

Here is the setup post.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

The XR500 handles pppoe absolutely fine, it would be alot easier for you to use the pppoe on the XR500.

 

If you really really want to your login for bt is [email protected] for your username and your password can be anything but not blank.

 

Here is the setup post.   

 

I have the xr500 and I WOULD prefer to use it but the problem there is my upnp table does not populate , i am on the latest firmware and I have had Fraser do a 1 on 1 for that issue but no luck so far. 

Also thanks for the link...exactly what I was looking for!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 6:21 PM, Buster said:

I have the xr500 and I WOULD prefer to use it but the problem there is my upnp table does not populate , i am on the latest firmware and I have had Fraser do a 1 on 1 for that issue but no luck so far. 

Also thanks for the link...exactly what I was looking for!!

Even though the table does not populate it should be actually opening the correct ports, this was confirmed with a user. It also may be fixed by now compared to when you used it before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Even though the table does not populate it should be actually opening the correct ports, this was confirmed with a user. It also may be fixed by now compared to when you used it before.

Hi, Due to Big Dogs response on Saturday i decided to plug the XR500 back in,  There has been no new update since i last tried (I am on firmware 2.3.2.40) and with upnp ticked, all port forwarding rules deleted, I get a moderate nat on BO4 &no rules show up in the upnp table. Which is the same as when we did the 1 on 1 a fair few months ago. ( UPNP on DUMA OS R1 works fine )

Thinking about getting a new modem anyway possibly the draytek vigor 130 so anybody who reads this if you have any insight on the modem it would be appreciated, i.e can i input my pppoe details directly into the modem and leave the xr500 to do all qos and routing.....?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's most likely just because of the Geo-Filter/server that needs to be whitelisted, it shouldn't actually cause you any degradation in game quality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the Draytek Vigor 130, and it gets me 2-3ms lower latency compared to the OpenReach bg612 (standard, not unlocked). I can see all the line stats but only when directly connected to the modem, which is a drawback, when one has line issues (faults), as you have to unplug router. They (draytek) have a feature that will publish info to other draytek routers, haven't checked to see if other public plugins available for other routers to get that info. When my line has been stable (no rain) its stayed in fastpath with 7ms latency for 4wks. The firmware gets regularly updated too. Minor fixes generally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and additionally there may be a fancy way of connecting to the modem provided your ISP uses vlan tagging ethernet side wise. Requires one to use a tagged and untagged. Will investigate later this week, as that will be real handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some serious attempts at logging on to the vigor 130 via router. It works when pppoe connection not established. However, as soon as you are connected to the internet, the vigor no longer recognises/responses to tcp/ip traffic and thus you cannot see stats whilst pppoe connection is active. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, simjc said:

I use the Draytek Vigor 130, and it gets me 2-3ms lower latency compared to the OpenReach bg612 (standard, not unlocked). I can see all the line stats but only when directly connected to the modem, which is a drawback, when one has line issues (faults), as you have to unplug router. They (draytek) have a feature that will publish info to other draytek routers, haven't checked to see if other public plugins available for other routers to get that info. When my line has been stable (no rain) its stayed in fastpath with 7ms latency for 4wks. The firmware gets regularly updated too. Minor fixes generally.

Draytec Vigor 130 uses the same chipset as the ECI Openreach modem, a Lantiq VRX-268 (VR9) but with later firmware, and a half sized board so they tend to run warmer than ECI modems. I think there is a new 2019 version on the Draytec 130 BT firmware up on the Draytec site. On Huawei cabs a Broadcom chipset seems sometimes to get better sync rates as Huawei cabs use Broadcom chipsets.

 If you can find a  01/2016 ECI modem it will work fine as it had the ECI updated firmware for G.inp that was never implemented on the cabs themselves. The ECI may give a better sync than the Broadcom units on ECI cabs as ECI cabs also use Lantiq chipsets, Openreach models before that date and sold a as "new" (in they have never been connected to the internet  before 4th March 9th 2019) wont have had the update and wont get any more as Openreach has stopped updating the firmware for all OR modems. This can result in 3-4 Mbps loss in sync rate on ECI cabs and worse on Huawei.

 If you can get a HG612 (model 3B) you can flash it yourself with the SP08 firmware, see the stats and it works pretty well especially on Huawei cabs and long run ECI's sometimes. For my line the ECI chipsets works better as I'm on a ECI cab with a good line, it seems sometimes cabs like the same chipset but that also depends on your line and its condition too. I tried a Vigor 130 and found no improvement in sync on my line so returned it, but its a good if modem but does run a bit warm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 10:32 PM, simjc said:

I had some serious attempts at logging on to the vigor 130 via router. It works when pppoe connection not established. However, as soon as you are connected to the internet, the vigor no longer recognises/responses to tcp/ip traffic and thus you cannot see stats whilst pppoe connection is active. :(

FYI - I cracked it. I can now logon to modem whilst connected to internet. Had to telnet on to modem direct, and setup a route. Now I can see my line stats galore 24/7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...