NordVPN + XR500 Compatibility

ZurkeyDurkey

I am running the current firmware for the XR500 router (2.3.2.40), and have access to the Hybrid VPN feature. I tested it with ExpressVPN and one of their .ovpn files, and it worked fine. I switched to NordVPN due to a big sale.  However, I cannot get it working with NordVPN.  Geo-Filtering is enabled, and the router was rebooted (per knowledge base article).  Any help is appreciated!

Go to: https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/

Then click: “Show available protocols”, and Download the UDP config, open the config with a notepad and copy all the contents.

Go to your XR500 VPN setting page, click advanced, type your username and password for your NordVPN account and paste the config content into the configuration box and click connect.

• Netduma Staff
On 3/30/2019 at 12:17 AM, ZurkeyDurkey said:

I am running the current firmware for the XR500 router (2.3.2.40), and have access to the Hybrid VPN feature. I tested it with ExpressVPN and one of their .ovpn files, and it worked fine. I switched to NordVPN due to a big sale.  However, I cannot get it working with NordVPN.  Geo-Filtering is enabled, and the router was rebooted (per knowledge base article).  Any help is appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! The steps above are spot on; Hybrid VPN is compatible with all openVPN providers, and NordVPN is no exception. Let us know how you get on!

• 1 month later...

Is the compatibility with NordVPN a new feature of the XR500 firmware, or you need to change the firmware to get it work?

In many different forums, people complain that XR500 firmware doesn’t natively supports the NordVPN.

No it doesn't support it officially, in that we don't have presets for it.

But really the Basic tab of the interface is just a bunch of preset OpenVPN settings.

Any VPN will work perfectly well if they provide OpenVPN settings that you can put into the Advanced tab of the router.

If you go to the following page on the NordVPN site, you can download an OpenVPN file for the server of your choice: https://nordvpn.com/ovpn/

And if you can't decide between UDP and TCP: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/28774/the-ultimate-question-udp-vs-tcp-what-s-the-difference-which-one-should-you-choose

• 2 months later...

I have a question about nordvpn and my netgear xr500. So I’m currently living overseas and unfortunately the hybrid VPN option in the Dumas interface doesn’t support nordvpn. It has two vpns it shows in the drop down menu (hidemyass and purevpn). How do I get the nordvpn on my router so I can show the my home network is basically states side. We use Xbox ones in this house and almost all our games especially COD and trying to get into an online multiplayer match can take mins to hours to find enough people to play. The servers over here in Malaysia are garbage. I currently use nordvpn on all my devices but can not install it on Xbox so hence the router. The router has current firmware and I’m basically a novice. I really need an easy step by step how to in order to get nordvpn on my xr500 protect my whole network. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Netduma Staff
6 hours ago, Hitman1020 said:

I have a question about nordvpn and my netgear xr500. So I’m currently living overseas and unfortunately the hybrid VPN option in the Dumas interface doesn’t support nordvpn. It has two vpns it shows in the drop down menu (hidemyass and purevpn). How do I get the nordvpn on my router so I can show the my home network is basically states side. We use Xbox ones in this house and almost all our games especially COD and trying to get into an online multiplayer match can take mins to hours to find enough people to play. The servers over here in Malaysia are garbage. I currently use nordvpn on all my devices but can not install it on Xbox so hence the router. The router has current firmware and I’m basically a novice. I really need an easy step by step how to in order to get nordvpn on my xr500 protect my whole network. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've replied to your other thread here: 

Hello I just saw your topic about NordVPN, I'm French I took NordVPN and I had trouble getting NordVPN running with the XR500 and my PS4.
I will give you some tips that allowed me to run NordVPN with my PS4.

XR500> HybridVPN> VPN Setup> Forward> Enter username and password> paste the log file and log in (For the log file on Windows I open it with the notepad copy and paste in the VPN.

Here is the link to download all the log files of all the servers: https://nordvpn.com/en/ovpn/

The or is complicating my PS4 recognized as a console (playstation) When I wanted to add my PS4 in> VPN Traffic> add a device it was gray I could not do anything, so I think my PS4 do not enjoy from the VPN and I could not do port forwarding or whatever.

The solution I found> XR500> Device Manager> Put the PS4 into a computer> Save ... Go to VPN traffic I add my PS4 and the miracle is no longer gray I can take advantage of the VPN and I have even been able to add my port redirects for my games.

Me it to function for me, so it should work with any device> PS4> Xbox> PC ... In my opinion it's a bug of the XR500 because for the VPN works it is necessary that the device is recognized as a computer not another device.

They must Netduma and netgear rectify bug is a problem because if the person does not know it does not take advantage of his VPN. In addition I was very lucky to find the solution, I realized that my PC was well recognized not greyed out and redirect function is where I made the connection with the problem with the console.

here I hope it will help more than one
😉

The reason that the console was displayed as grey was that we automatically put ALL traffic for consoles through the VPN when they are added. This means that there is no need to manually add any ports.

It seems we need to make this more clear in the interface as the current method makes it look like the console cannot be filtered.

On 8/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, Karma said:

Hello I just saw your topic about NordVPN, I'm French I took NordVPN and I had trouble getting NordVPN running with the XR500 and my PS4.
I will give you some tips that allowed me to run NordVPN with my PS4.

XR500> HybridVPN> VPN Setup> Forward> Enter username and password> paste the log file and log in (For the log file on Windows I open it with the notepad copy and paste in the VPN.

Here is the link to download all the log files of all the servers: https://nordvpn.com/en/ovpn/

The or is complicating my PS4 recognized as a console (playstation) When I wanted to add my PS4 in> VPN Traffic> add a device it was gray I could not do anything, so I think my PS4 do not enjoy from the VPN and I could not do port forwarding or whatever.

The solution I found> XR500> Device Manager> Put the PS4 into a computer> Save ... Go to VPN traffic I add my PS4 and the miracle is no longer gray I can take advantage of the VPN and I have even been able to add my port redirects for my games.

Me it to function for me, so it should work with any device> PS4> Xbox> PC ... In my opinion it's a bug of the XR500 because for the VPN works it is necessary that the device is recognized as a computer not another device.

They must Netduma and netgear rectify bug is a problem because if the person does not know it does not take advantage of his VPN. In addition I was very lucky to find the solution, I realized that my PC was well recognized not greyed out and redirect function is where I made the connection with the problem with the console.

here I hope it will help more than one
😉

Je serais curieux de connaitre tes débits ?

Perso, je n'arrive pas à avoir une nat ouverte, le geofiltre n'affiche pas les serveurs ainsi que leur ping  et le ping assist ne marche pas !

Alex > Ok I understand better why it was gray and a PC no, so a console in VPN get all traffic no need to do port forwarding wholesale is like a DMZ? Thanks for the information for the VPN.

Fuzy > Les débits sont largement plus faibles c'est du VPN.

J'avais en 16 en download et 11 en upload pour du VPN c'est plutôt pas mal je trouve, faut pas rêver en VPN avoir de gros débits comme en VDSL ou Fibre.

Moi sur COD MWR j'avais un NAT ouvert mais j'ai pas utilisé le Géo-filtre c'est peux être pour sa, peut-être vu que tu passe par un VPN et pas ta connexion sa fausse le Géo-filtre et ta pas de NAT ouvert je ne c'est pas c'est une possibilité. 

Je comprend pas trop là

Le geofiltre c'est la seul chose intéressante sur le XR500 ?!!

Après, en effet après test, tu peux garder tes débits en down pour Charger les jeux  plus rapidement et mettre le jeux en lui meme sous le vpn !