XR500 vs R1

SwiftCookie

Hey DumaFam!

Just wondering if it's worth my money getting the xr500? Been having some issues with the wifi and disconects via ethernet on my ps4. Range is super patchy at the opposite end of the house causing weak connection of wifi. Sometimes the r1 will constantly kick my ps4 and I'll get numerous lan cable not connected pop ups. Is the r1 capable of 4k streaming on stan and netflix over wifi? 

Hi. The wifi performance on the XR500 is a huge improvement. It has both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi bands. I live in 1 1400sq ft house and it reaches everywhere. It drops to 2 bars at the edge of my property but it does not drop off. The R1 is a great little router but it has had it's day and is not a patch on the XR500.

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, SwiftCookie said:

Hey DumaFam!

Just wondering if it's worth my money getting the xr500? Been having some issues with the wifi and disconects via ethernet on my ps4. Range is super patchy at the opposite end of the house causing weak connection of wifi. Sometimes the r1 will constantly kick my ps4 and I'll get numerous lan cable not connected pop ups. Is the r1 capable of 4k streaming on stan and netflix over wifi? 

It sounds like your R1 is probably getting old... It's a sad day when the wifi starts getting patchy. I'd recommend factory resetting it, and if you aren't on the latest version make sure you grab it!

Still, on your question, the XR500 is absolutely worth every penny. We're extremely proud to be on that router, and it speaks for itself. IGN best gaming router, best rated router on Amazon - it's an absolute powerhouse.

19 hours ago, SwiftCookie said:

Hey DumaFam!

The real question I want to know is...what firmware are you on? Since going back to the original firmware I have had WAY less issues than on DumaOS. I know the company wont admit to it, but at least on the R1's version there are clearly issues that exist that dont make it compatible with the router. Geofilter never worked right for me more often than not, and I have proven it time after time. Now fast forward to where I just gave up on DumaOS and reverted. I now experience hardly any wifi drops, Geo works PERFECT, I mean no joke the same settings I used for the R1 just didnt work on the other firmware. I am not gonna tell you that you should upgrade, but what I will say is this...IF you choose to, keep the R1 still until you can verify without a doubt that the xr500 meets your expectations fully. Yes, they are more powerful in terms of hardware than the R1, but that doesnt prove they are better at doing what the R1 already did. I am not basing this off opinion either, its more based off my experience of DumaOS and even that of the people who are using it on the other devices as well. It seems as though it needs more work. At this point there is nothing substantial to prove to me that its worth tossing the old router for just yet. But again, If youre on the newer firmware (still technically not even out of beta) then I am willing to argue thats your bigger issue. Its $300 anyways, and the XR300 drops in like 15 days? That may be just as equally worth investing in as the rest, but I wont make that decision for you.

11 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

It sounds like your R1 is probably getting old... It's a sad day when the wifi starts getting patchy. I'd recommend factory resetting it, and if you aren't on the latest version make sure you grab it!

Still, on your question, the XR500 is absolutely worth every penny. We're extremely proud to be on that router, and it speaks for itself. IGN best gaming router, best rated router on Amazon - it's an absolute powerhouse.

Yeah now that I think about it I reckon I bought my R1 in 2015 :O Didn't realise it's been that long haha Anyways I bought the XR500 off Ebay. I was having the issues on both the latest R1 OS and DumaOS unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, bbursley said:

The real question I want to know is...what firmware are you on? Since going back to the original firmware I have had WAY less issues than on DumaOS. I know the company wont admit to it, but at least on the R1's version there are clearly issues that exist that dont make it compatible with the router. Geofilter never worked right for me more often than not, and I have proven it time after time. Now fast forward to where I just gave up on DumaOS and reverted. I now experience hardly any wifi drops, Geo works PERFECT, I mean no joke the same settings I used for the R1 just didnt work on the other firmware. I am not gonna tell you that you should upgrade, but what I will say is this...IF you choose to, keep the R1 still until you can verify without a doubt that the xr500 meets your expectations fully. Yes, they are more powerful in terms of hardware than the R1, but that doesnt prove they are better at doing what the R1 already did. I am not basing this off opinion either, its more based off my experience of DumaOS and even that of the people who are using it on the other devices as well. It seems as though it needs more work. At this point there is nothing substantial to prove to me that its worth tossing the old router for just yet. But again, If youre on the newer firmware (still technically not even out of beta) then I am willing to argue thats your bigger issue. Its $300 anyways, and the XR300 drops in like 15 days? That may be just as equally worth investing in as the rest, but I wont make that decision for you.

I had the issues on both R1 OS and DumaOS. The wifi got more and more patchy as it got older. The better wifi alone will be worth the upgrade to an XR500 imo

10 minutes ago, SwiftCookie said:

Yeah now that I think about it I reckon I bought my R1 in 2015 😮 Didn't realise it's been that long haha Anyways I bought the XR500 off Ebay. I was having the issues on both the latest R1 OS and DumaOS unfortunately. 

I had the issues on both R1 OS and DumaOS. The wifi got more and more patchy as it got older. The better wifi alone will be worth the upgrade to an XR500 imo

True, it really doesn’t have powerful antennas. But there are many factors aside from it “dying” like interferences from competitors by wavelengths or placement etc. yes well DumaOS proved to be worse for me than just staying on the old firmware, unfortunately. I observed more drop outs and terrible speeds at times, you would know if it was the hardware if you ran a consistent ping plotter to the router or somewhere and noticed it spiking often, that may indicate hardware failures, or at least that’s one easier way to tell. I’ve had an ASUS router longer than this Netduma and that thing still runs like a champ 🤷🏻‍♂️