AT&T Fiber Optic..........

CrossFitKila717

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, nic.karpik said:

so youre saying clone the MA of the bgw210 to the xr500 plug it into the ONT then power on the ONT?

no need for a dumb switch? 

That's what I gathered, it mentioned using a switch to establish the connection but then you're able to remove it but might be able to do it without. Here's a quote of the steps:

1) Define your gateway's mac on the wan port of whatever router you want to use (asus, netgear, etc). WAN connectivity should be via dhcp.

2) I'm using a simple dumb switch (dlink DGS-1005G, $10-20 on ebay/amazon) to handle ONT/RGW/Router connectivity.

2a) With everything from a fully off state, allow the ONT to register (~2 min) the fiber connection first. During this time there's nothing but fiber and power plugged into the ONT.

2b) Connect ONT's ethernet port to one port of the dumb switch.

2c) Connect the wan port of the RGW to another port on the dumb switch.

2d) Connect power to the RGW

3) Wait 1-2 minutes for both lights to become solid green on the RGW.

4) You can now power down and disconnect the RGW from the dumb switch.

5) Connect your router's WAN port to the dumb switch. Turn the router on.

6) Within a minute or less it should acquire the same IP, gateway and DNS as the gateway had.

7) Enjoy

"ONT reregistration will only be necessary if power to the ONT or dumb switch is disrupted. In that case, repeat steps 2b-5.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, nic.karpik said:

yup familiar with that. I thought you were saying i didn't even need a dumb switch to pull this off and could technically plug the router directly into the ONT

I don't see why a switch is necessary when the steps already get you to mimic the gateway with the changing of the MAC address. I may be wrong but I don't see why the switch is necessary here. 

from what I understand its to maintain the handshake between att and the rgw. since the dumbswitch stays on when you disconnect the rgw and plug in the xr500 authentication isn't lost. 

if you could add eap-tls certificates to the xr500 like you can on a cisco or linux based router then theres no need for a dumbswitch.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, jlpotter76 said:

Is there any new info on this?  I have AT&T Fiber and I am wanting to eliminate the ATT Router as well.  I have the XR500

I have ATT Fiber as well and unfortunately you cannot 'eliminate' the use of the ATT Router without "advanced methods". It's the way ATT handles utilizing your IP to the Internet. 
Put it this way, you will NEED additional equipment. Sorry to say, but AT&T is the only one that I'm aware of that utilize that certain 'feature' for simpler terms, compared to other Internet Service Providers around the globe. I believe one other that comes close is those that "may" use FritzBox.

I'm 'NOT' using the ATT router right now. I 'ONLY" use it for one time use to get "confirmation' that that my 'router' want to connect to the internet then I swap it out and have it disconnected. Only time I have to plug it back up, which was two days ago was due to a power outage in the neighborhood and needed to 'reauthorize' my connection. The method I use to keep it simple is what Netduma Fraser quoted:

1) Define your gateway's mac on the wan port of whatever router you want to use (asus, netgear, etc). WAN connectivity should be via dhcp.

2) I'm using a simple dumb switch (dlink DGS-1005G, $10-20 on ebay/amazon) to handle ONT/RGW/Router connectivity.

2a) With everything from a fully off state, allow the ONT to register (~2 min) the fiber connection first. During this time there's nothing but fiber and power plugged into the ONT.

2b) Connect ONT's ethernet port to one port of the dumb switch.

2c) Connect the wan port of the RGW to another port on the dumb switch.

2d) Connect power to the RGW

3) Wait 1-2 minutes for both lights to become solid green on the RGW.

4) You can now power down and disconnect the RGW from the dumb switch.

5) Connect your router's WAN port to the dumb switch. Turn the router on.

6) Within a minute or less it should acquire the same IP, gateway and DNS as the gateway had.

7) Enjoy

"ONT reregistration will only be necessary if power to the ONT or dumb switch is disrupted. In that case, repeat steps 2b-5.

That's the simplistic method without having to use an advance method I used before. But again, it's advanced and technically is still a pain and the method quoted is the easily the simplest.

15 hours ago, TrayDay said:

I have ATT Fiber as well and unfortunately you cannot 'eliminate' the use of the ATT Router without "advanced methods". It's the way ATT handles utilizing your IP to the Internet. 
Put it this way, you will NEED additional equipment. Sorry to say, but AT&T is the only one that I'm aware of that utilize that certain 'feature' for simpler terms, compared to other Internet Service Providers around the globe. I believe one other that comes close is those that "may" use FritzBox.

I'm 'NOT' using the ATT router right now. I 'ONLY" use it for one time use to get "confirmation' that that my 'router' want to connect to the internet then I swap it out and have it disconnected. Only time I have to plug it back up, which was two days ago was due to a power outage in the neighborhood and needed to 'reauthorize' my connection. The method I use to keep it simple is what Netduma Fraser quoted:

That's the simplistic method without having to use an advance method I used before. But again, it's advanced and technically is still a pain and the method quoted is the easily the simplest.

I did use a "dumb switch" and gave my XR500 the mac address of the ATT Router.  Then unplugged it.  I have the XR500 and my Gateway hooked to a UPS so should be good unless I need to reboot the XR500 then have to repeat steps listed with the dumb switch.  I was using the ATT IP Passthrough but was having horrible steaming issues.  Some apps would not load and some other issues.  It is not as bad as Google Fiber as needing a L2 switch to run the XR500.  I had to run a L2 switch and config a VLAN with some other things.  The good about GFiber is that once it was set up, you did not have to play the plug and unplug with the ONT and ATT.

I do appreciate the information back.  Thank you to all who have contributed to this.   

@Netduma Fraser is there anything NetDuma can implement to help with this?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jlpotter76 said:

is there anything NetDuma can implement to help with this?

This would be more for Netgear but I'll suggest it to the team and see if there is even a way to do so before passing it on.