AT&T Fiber Optic..........

CrossFitKila717

Hey all,

I’m getting AT&T Fiber 300 installed. I’m in Texas & have a couple questions.......

1.  Does anyone have experience with their Fiber Optic?

2.  Will it be Fiber up to the “street, curb or home”? I know there’s different ideas of what 100% Fiber is between companies  

3.  Also, looks like I’m stuck with their gateway.....Arris BGW210-700. Supposedly you can put into “pass through” mode. Any recommendations on something else I can use or is this what I’m stuck with?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Hey all,

I’m getting AT&T Fiber 300 installed. I’m in Texas & have a couple questions.......

2.  Will it be Fiber up to the “street, curb or home”? I know there’s different ideas of what 100% Fiber is between companies  

3.  Also, looks like I’m stuck with their gateway.....Arris BGW210-700. Supposedly you can put into “pass through” mode. Any recommendations on something else I can use or is this what I’m stuck with?

Thanks!

Hi. With AT&T you are forced to use their supplied router/gateway.  You can use the XR500 combined with it if you want to. Here is a guy that has AT&T fiber with video's on his network setup. 

10 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Hey all,

Thanks!

1- Fiber is really good in my experience. I've had fiber for 2+ years and have yet to experience an outage.

2- Typically, the fiber runs to your house to a ONT that converts that fiber connection to ethernet. 

3- You are stuck with their gateway. It's the only way AT&T can authenticate your connection. Follow this link https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Features/How-to-put-the-Motorola-NVG589-in-bridge-mode-or-as-close-as-you/td-p/3552057/page/2 for IP-passthrough. It works fine. 

Note: If you want to bypass the gateway, you can also try the dumb switch method discussed in DSL reports.  I'm currently using TP-link TL-SG105 (Amazon $16) for this. 

Here are the steps originally posted by jsolo1.

1) Define your gateway's mac on the wan port of whatever router you want to use (asus, netgear, etc). WAN connectivity should be via dhcp.
2) I'm using a simple dumb switch (dlink DGS-1005G, $10-20 on ebay/amazon) to handle ONT/RGW/Router connectivity.
2a) With everything from a fully off state, allow the ONT to register (~2 min) the fiber connection first. During this time there's nothing but fiber and power plugged into the ONT.
2b) Connect ONT's ethernet port to one port of the dumb switch.
2c) Connect the wan port of the RGW to another port on the dumb switch.
2d) Connect power to the RGW
3) Wait 1-2 minutes for both lights to become solid green on the RGW.
4) You can now power down and disconnect the RGW from the dumb switch.
5) Connect your router's WAN port to the dumb switch. Turn the router on.
6) Within a minute or less it should acquire the same IP, gateway and DNS as the gateway had.
7) Enjoy

"ONT reregistration will only be necessary if power to the ONT or dumb switch is disrupted. In that case, repeat steps 2b-5.

It's recommended to have the switch on a PSU in case you lose power, the switch stays connected. It's more of a convenience thing.

You got lucky they provided you the BGW210 gateway since the Pace 5246AC has issues with DMZ+ and provides no IP passthrough.

On 3/26/2019 at 3:04 AM, BIG__DOG said:

Hi. With AT&T you are forced to use their supplied router/gateway.  You can use the XR500 combined with it if you want to. Here is a guy that has AT&T fiber with video's on his network setup. 

Awesome! Thank you two for the input.......ONE PROBLEM that I have right now though......I have a “strict” NAT still. I originally had a “double NAT” as well but cleared that up by rebooting the BGW210 & the Duma. I have the R1 with the Duma OS by the way, not the XR500. I have UPNP off on the Duma as well as all the “listed” COD ports forwarded on the Duma. Any ideas?

10 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Awesome! Thank you two for the input.......ONE PROBLEM that I have right now though......I have a “strict” NAT still. I originally had a “double NAT” as well but cleared that up by rebooting the BGW210 & the Duma. I have the R1 with the Duma OS by the way, not the XR500. I have UPNP off on the Duma as well as all the “listed” COD ports forwarded on the Duma. Any ideas?

The default IP address for the BGW is 192.168.1.254. Have you set up the R1 to use another subnet? Example 192.168.2.1

44 minutes ago, leunamsti said:

The default IP address for the BGW is 192.168.1.254. Have you set up the R1 to use another subnet? Example 192.168.2.1

No, I just have everything set up on the duma as “auto detect”......so DNS, WAN, LAN, subnet etc., are all whatever was already in there. I don’t know how any of this stuff works.....learning process for sure!

20 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

No, I just have everything set up on the duma as “auto detect”......so DNS, WAN, LAN, subnet etc., are all whatever was already in there. I don’t know how any of this stuff works.....learning process for sure!

ok that's probably why the strict NAT. What's your current default IP address on your R1 router?

22 minutes ago, leunamsti said:

ok that's probably why the strict NAT. What's your current default IP address on your R1 router?

I’ll have to check when I get home tonight......the subnet or the actual IP that shows up under Network Settings?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

So do you currently have the BGW in bridge mode then? What does the console say regarding NAT?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So do you currently have the BGW in bridge mode then? What does the console say regarding NAT?

Yes, it’s considered “pass through” on this but I guess it’s the same. I have the BGW, Duma, then my wireless router & Xbox wired to Duma. Everything “seems” to be working fine but it shows Strict NAT on my console. Should I turn UPNP back on and/or delete port forwarding? I also have “classified games” turned off & manually added my Xbox. All this worked fine before the new modem/router gateway setup of course. 

• Administrators

Make sure on the BGW that you disable UPnP & Port Forwarding as that may be affecting it. Then see what the console reads, if still strict first disable the Geo-Filter and see what it says. If it's the same then try UPnP over port forwarding on the Duma. DumaOS Classified Games encompasses all consoles so no need to add the console manually.

On 3/26/2019 at 3:04 AM, BIG__DOG said:

Hey Big Dog, so quick question on the video......I have NO port forwarding setup on the gateway because I have them all setup on the Duma.....should I set them up on the gateway instead & disable the ones on Duma? I’m getting open NAT, so I’m assuming it’s set up correct?

1 hour ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Hey Big Dog, so quick question on the video......I have NO port forwarding setup on the gateway because I have them all setup on the Duma.....should I set them up on the gateway instead & disable the ones on Duma? I’m getting open NAT, so I’m assuming it’s set up correct?

Hi no, you're ok as you are :) 

• 4 months later...
On 3/26/2019 at 6:05 AM, leunamsti said:

1- Fiber is really good in my experience. I've had fiber for 2+ years and have yet to experience an outage.

2- Typically, the fiber runs to your house to a ONT that converts that fiber connection to ethernet. 

3- You are stuck with their gateway. It's the only way AT&T can authenticate your connection. Follow this link https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Features/How-to-put-the-Motorola-NVG589-in-bridge-mode-or-as-close-as-you/td-p/3552057/page/2 for IP-passthrough. It works fine. 

Note: If you want to bypass the gateway, you can also try the dumb switch method discussed in DSL reports.  I'm currently using TP-link TL-SG105 (Amazon $16) for this. 

Here are the steps originally posted by jsolo1.

1) Define your gateway's mac on the wan port of whatever router you want to use (asus, netgear, etc). WAN connectivity should be via dhcp.
2) I'm using a simple dumb switch (dlink DGS-1005G, $10-20 on ebay/amazon) to handle ONT/RGW/Router connectivity.
2a) With everything from a fully off state, allow the ONT to register (~2 min) the fiber connection first. During this time there's nothing but fiber and power plugged into the ONT.
2b) Connect ONT's ethernet port to one port of the dumb switch.
2c) Connect the wan port of the RGW to another port on the dumb switch.
2d) Connect power to the RGW
3) Wait 1-2 minutes for both lights to become solid green on the RGW.
4) You can now power down and disconnect the RGW from the dumb switch.
5) Connect your router's WAN port to the dumb switch. Turn the router on.
6) Within a minute or less it should acquire the same IP, gateway and DNS as the gateway had.
7) Enjoy

"ONT reregistration will only be necessary if power to the ONT or dumb switch is disrupted. In that case, repeat steps 2b-5.

It's recommended to have the switch on a PSU in case you lose power, the switch stays connected. It's more of a convenience thing.

You got lucky they provided you the BGW210 gateway since the Pace 5246AC has issues with DMZ+ and provides no IP passthrough.

I know this is old but......looking at going the dumbswitch route. So does the ONT act as the modem? So basically the Duma will be plugged straight into the ONT or do I need my own modem, as I would for cable?

• Administrators
16 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

I know this is old but......looking at going the dumbswitch route. So does the ONT act as the modem? So basically the Duma will be plugged straight into the ONT or do I need my own modem, as I would for cable?

Assuming the ONT has an ethernet port then you should be able to plug the router directly in to it without the need for a modem. That's providing your ISP doesn't require their hub to be used which is sometimes the case. If the ONT doesn't have an ethernet port you may be able to get an adapter to allow an ethernet connection.

• 8 months later...
  • Administrators
17 hours ago, nic.karpik said:

any downsides to going the bypass route? 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You mean bypassing the modem and going straight to the ONT? No downsides that I can think of, the fewer hops the better.

hey fraser, thanks for the kind welcome.

thats good to hear. from what i'm seeing i'd have to get the tls certificate and private key from my bgw210 in order to connect my router (xr500) directly to the ONT. problem is i dont think my xr500 is capable of eap-tls authentication, excuse me if anything doesn't sound right. i'm relatively new to networking and while i understand the basics the advanced stuff is way beyond me.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, nic.karpik said:

hey fraser, thanks for the kind welcome.

thats good to hear. from what i'm seeing i'd have to get the tls certificate and private key from my bgw210 in order to connect my router (xr500) directly to the ONT. problem is i dont think my xr500 is capable of eap-tls authentication, excuse me if anything doesn't sound right. i'm relatively new to networking and while i understand the basics the advanced stuff is way beyond me.

You're welcome! 

Have you got a guide/somewhere you've read that information? I can take a look and let you know if it will be possible to do so with the XR500.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, nic.karpik said:

first page of this thread towards the bottom.

other option is to use a dumb switch. i like the idea of just plugging into the ONT directly with my router if possible though

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32198537-AT-T-Fiber-Bypass-Hardware-List

Unless I have missed something from that method all you need to do is make the XR have the same MAC address as the gateway then turn on the ONT, have you tried that? If you do need to use eap-tls authentication then there isn't any option for that on the XR unfortunately.