loss of connection when changing DNS.

I have noticed a possible error with on the Xr500. I did a dns leak test whilst connected to my vpn provider and noticed a leak. I went and changed dns servers and my connection went dead, not even a reboot would restore the link. I had to start the "setup wizard" in order for the link to be established. I did not have to go through the setup completely just until i put in my pppoe credentials. It is a long time since I did a dns leak test so not too sure if it is the current firmware. I would need other members to try and change dns who have pppoe to know for sure.

• Administrators

Were other devices affected by this as well? Did you by any chance have the VPN setup to block the internet if disconnected? If so then changing the DNS will have momentarily disabled the internet and would have made the VPN block the internet but for some reason didn't come back up, I suspect a reconnection to the VPN itself may have had to be done to restore the internet properly.

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Were other devices affected by this as well? Did you by any chance have the VPN setup to block the internet if disconnected? If so then changing the DNS will have momentarily disabled the internet and would have made the VPN block the internet but for some reason didn't come back up, I suspect a reconnection to the VPN itself may have had to be done to restore the internet properly.

Hi, no i did not have that enabled. I did a reset and then tried again to input the dns without vpn configured and it still happens,

OK, I have found the issue. For some strange reason the router is not saving my password for my pppoe login but saves my username. I overlooked this as it always has saved it in the past and had not noticed that it does not do it now. Once password was re-entered the router came back to life.