Destiny 2 on PC Geo Filter Not working at all

NekoJesse

Just Updated my Netduma R1 to DumaOS, after that we tried to use the Geo Filter ability and it seems like its not working at all. We are using the "Destiny PC" profile but it is not showing any connections at all or narrowing our searches. Is anyone else having this issue

• Administrators

Hi Neko - welcome to the forum and thanks for updating to DumaOS. We need to fix the Destiny 2 (PC) service. So for now, could you do this workaround please - see the section titled 'How to add a PC game not listed on the Geo-Filter': http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000092094-how-to-add-your-gaming-pc-to-the-dumaos-geo-filter

We hope you're otherwise enjoying DumaOS

I'm having the same issue with Geo-Filter allowing connections well outside of my radius, but I'm on Xbox One X. Also, this was a game where every player was a solo queue so I don't see any reason I should have been matched with players beyond the radius.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, epoch210 said:

I'm having the same issue with Geo-Filter allowing connections well outside of my radius, but I'm on Xbox One X. Also, this was a game where every player was a solo queue so I don't see any reason I should have been matched with players beyond the radius.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If you're using Strict Mode off (which you should be for Destiny) it'll allow servers outside your radius. Also if any icons have a dashed circle around them then it means they're ping assisted and so will appear outside your radius.

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, epoch210 said:

Here's another example that's less clustered with more outside of my radius. This is 95%+ of my games.

image.png

Welcome to the forum :) this seems great, it's blocking everything outside the radius as expected. Those triangles are all players who you might've connected to without the Geo-Filter enabled.

You'd only start getting dashed circles around some connections if you set Ping Assist to a reasonable number, maybe 50ms. It depends on what connections are available around your location though.

I knew these represented blocked players, but should they remain there for the entirety of the match? I've seen them come and go as the game is finding players but once all players are in the lobby these "blocked" icons remain until the game is over and we've all left the lobby.

• Netduma Staff
14 hours ago, epoch210 said:

I knew these represented blocked players, but should they remain there for the entirety of the match? I've seen them come and go as the game is finding players but once all players are in the lobby these "blocked" icons remain until the game is over and we've all left the lobby.

It's a good question, I'm not certain on the answer. The Geo-Filter displays all data transfer between you and any external sources. Other hosts that have been blocked must just retain some communication with the game, maybe to improve search times for the next game you jump in to. I couldn't answer though - it'll be a niche of how Bungie have programmed it.

So I just finished a game with two players who were VERY laggy and noticed two "blocked" players on the Geo-Filter screen in New York so I questioned the player so aptly named NY Logic if he was from there and he replied yes. I have the exact same radius in place as shown previously so if Geo-Filter is working properly, why am I playing people well beyond my radius? 

image.png

• 7 months later...

I wish the above statement was true but it's not. I wish the geo filter would legit block people outside your set radius but it simply does not. I get soo many foreign people from England Ireland Asia south america. And the games are so laggy and delayed it's incredibly frustrating and has actually gotten worse since the move to steam....I dont know if it's all these VPN users causing the lag along with these people thousands of miles away or what but this is incredibly pitiful nowadays and incredibly infuriating at times 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Tha_kk said:

I wish the above statement was true but it's not. I wish the geo filter would legit block people outside your set radius but it simply does not. I get soo many foreign people from England Ireland Asia south america. And the games are so laggy and delayed it's incredibly frustrating and has actually gotten worse since the move to steam....I dont know if it's all these VPN users causing the lag along with these people thousands of miles away or what but this is incredibly pitiful nowadays and incredibly infuriating at times 

It definitely is the case, we've tested it a lot. Whether they've changed from that or not I can't be sure as I've not tested it myself since the move to steam but that's definitely what it has been for awhile now, that's why you can't just outright block players anymore but ensuring the closest server should still give you an advantage.

Hi y'all. I can see the bulk of these messages are from March of this year but playing a lot of Destiny 2 these last few months I came here specifically because neither ping assist or radius seem to affect anything except how long it takes to find a game (it can be considerably longer with them on). Just played two games of terribly laggy Gambit, the first radius and the second ping assisted and it finally (preceded by dozens of laggy games) lead me here.

If I use ping assist (at 50ms) it still routinely (9/10 games) connects me to people with 80+ ping and yet will put the ping assist circle around them as if it's all good. So I switch to radius and half the 12 man room will be "blocked" triangles with pings (180+) that in game make for right hilarious videos to share. If i disable any of it it finds games right faster with about the same amounts of lag.

Even in 3 man PvE content it will routinely connect me to triple digit pingers that make for frustrating playing.

For sure part of this is that Bungie seems insistent on immediately trying to match you with people from every opposite corner of the globe.

So a typical 12 man game ends up being three Mexicans, two Brits, three Californians, someone in Brooklyn, a Tico, a Brazilian and myself supposedly off of a Texas Destiny server. Fun party, not a fun Crucible match.

Any suggestions as to what if anything can be done or y'all are doing with it? 

• Administrators

Are you using strict mode on or disabled? Have you tried with both and noticed a difference between them? Originally we suggested strict mode off but strict mode may be needed if you want a better connection. Do you see a server on the map when you're in the game? If so is it close by? (even if it is outside the radius which is normal with strict off)

Hi Fraser, thank you for responding. I've tried both with strict but mainly off so I will try on for a string of game here in a bit.

If I do see the server (usually do), its almost always the Texas one, which being in Louisiana is almost certainly the physically closest one to me.

• Administrators

Okay that makes sense then as they use a hybrid system, you're getting the closest server but you can't influence who else connects to that server. Still by getting that server you should have an advantage over others. Try strict mode on though and see if it is any better.

Getting on now, have strict mode enabled and am going to play a handful of games both with radius and ping assist.

As to the server, I'm sure I have the advantage on some, but there's often several people in a room I can't even damage in multi.

On the PvE side it makes it to where anything I do does not register until several seconds after my teammates actions, terrible for some game types like Gambit where some matches I literally cannot pick up the motes if laggy teammates are nearby nor damage the npc enemies when it's at the worst. Then when I quit out of that terrible mess I get hit with a warning heh

by the by I'm on a wired cable 300/30 single digit ping with A to A+ across the board using dslreports 

• Administrators

What kind of pings are you getting usually? Strict mode on and ping assist off might work better in that sense then to force people further away to connect to the server and not directly to you and therefore maybe giving you a bit more of an edge.

So one game into strict ping off radius only and 3 people out of 7 in a Gambit were well outside the radius (777 miles to keep it in the continental US), one in GBR (their ping was never under 130ms) off of an OK or maybe Nebraska server, second closest to the Texas physically. Bad lag when encountering them (two were on the other team) but better overall in this small sample size than earlier games today.

Not sure what you mean with the ping question exactly but most people in a room are usually under 70 ping with almost always a few well over that and into the triple digits and occasionally people with sub 30s pings.

Gambit Game 2: 5 people outside radius, 3 of them with 120+ pings...bad game that was, they were absorbing the first Revoker headshot like it was a total miss when it was bang on, second headshot would count. Not great.

• Administrators

I see you've got IPv6 enabled, could you disable that and try? It may give you a small boost in performance. I think this is just something we'll need to test more aggresively. Destiny has always been a weird one in terms of the Geo-Filter, strict mode was only implemented for Destiny. We may need to do something behind the scenes for better optimisation. I will let the team know.

So i have not switched to IPv4 yet but I did just run strict mode 50ms ping assist and after timing out twice without finding a game (promising, since it was all triangles all day) it found one that was just as laggy as every other game, with 1 of the 11 people falling within the parameters (not a triangle) and the few I bothered to look at (a guy in Quebec area, one in Mexico) were triple digit pingers. 

Started another one as I type this that is the same, 1 of 11 (hostish) and the rest bad. The 1 does have 50ms ping each time, but oh boy the other 10.