add the ability to find the best wifi channels.

So one thing that I have been noticing as someone who went from a more rural area to somewhere with more wireless around me. It seems as if from time to time the wireless will just get super slow and useless on the R1. I propose that either in the near future, or next update (maybe even sooner than later) that the R1 (and probably the netgears as well) have the ability to switch channels based on the level of congestion. I am aware that wireless uses frames that contain TCP to ensure that messages are getting to the device correct? There must be some way to implement this as to optimize the wireless experience on the 2.4ghz side, again especially to those of us who have only that 2.4ghz option, 5ghz is not nearly as susceptible to interference. This has been a CONSTANT issue, so unless its a firmware bug (I have only had DumaOS since I have moved), then it should really be addressed somehow. Once the network stop responding via wifi the only real options are to plug into the router and change the channel yourself. As you can see, I was hardly ever able to get a response from the router and lost 75% of my packets, which means my youtube video loaded partially and then continued to buffer after that, any pages loaded in that time would attempt to reach the page and then just drop out with a connection error, EVEN the interface could not be accessed during this time period. Id have to connect via LAN and then change the channel to anything differently.

loss of data.jpg

The R1 has limitations due to it's hardware capabilities. I know the XR500/700 are capable of auto channel selection but if you run a wifi analizer when wifi is running you should be able to see what networks close to you are using what channel and select the least congested.  Sorry I cannot be of any further help!

20 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

The R1 has limitations due to it's hardware capabilities. I know the XR500/700 are capable of auto channel selection but if you run a wifi analizer when wifi is running you should be able to see what networks close to you are using what channel and select the least congested.  Sorry I cannot be of any further help!

well even if the R1 cant handle this capability, it should still get implemented into the others.

34 minutes ago, bbursley said:

well even if the R1 cant handle this capability, it should still get implemented into the others.

I don't think you read my comment correctly......it is in the others (xr700 and 500).

2019-03-12.png

6 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

I don't think you read my comment correctly......it is in the others (xr700 and 500).

2019-03-12.png

Ahhhh, no I didn’t my bad. Saying they are cable versus them having the feature are two different things. 

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, bbursley said:

Ahhhh, no I didn’t my bad. Saying they are cable versus them having the feature are two different things. 

We've taken note of your suggestion :) thanks for the feedback!

3 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

We've taken note of your suggestion :) thanks for the feedback!

well, wifi consistency plagues the R1. At least once a day im having to switch channels in order to regain my wireless connection back :(. I can be watching a show on the smart tv just 15 feet in the living room with a perfectly fine connection and then boom, the buffering hits, then next thing you know things drop out altogether and the wifi disconnects. Even if I see the R1 as a wireless connecction and connect to it, itll tell me that my password is wrong. Upon changing channels this all goes away and I can reconnect like usual. Its very weird.