Unable to unblock device

Hi all, I purchased the Nighthawk XR700 router. I’m quite happy with it. 

I’m experiencing only one major issue with it, I think it may be more of a DumaOS software issue.

Here’s what’s happening, 
When using the nighthawk iOS app, and I block/pause a devices internet using the app over 4G/LTE connection via remote access, it works flawlessly.

When I log into the router via localhost when I get home to unblock/unpause the devices internet, is shows as a black icon meaning it’s internet has been paused. When I use the DumaOS to unpause that device I click on “unblock” and the device icon in the network tree turns back to red, showing it’s now unblocked. 

It turns out that the devices internet is still blocked and I can not use internet on that device anymore. 

I’ve tried rebooting the XR700,  rebooting the device, using the nighthawk app, and also the netgear genie app which all show the device is unblocked, but it’s not. 

This has happened before with another device, which I found out that if you block the device using the nighthawk app via 4G/LTE you need to use the same app and 4G connection to unblock the device, which works.

If I use the app to block a device, then use the DumaOS  via local host to unblock it, it won’t work. So I have to block it again in the DumaOS software in the modem, then revert back to the nighthawk app to then unblock the device which works.

In conclusion, if blocking a device on the app it needs to be unblocked on the same app. Not on another platform.

Having said that, no matter what I do now I’m unable to unblock the device.

I’ve also tried forgetting the Wi-Fi access point on the device that can not be unblocked, and reconnecting to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz access points with no success. 

It’s now getting frustrating, not being able to use that device, which is a Wi-Fi only iPad.

Regards,
Andyj986 

1 hour ago, Andyj986 said:

Hi all, I purchased the Nighthawk XR700 router. I’m quite happy with it. 

I’m experiencing only one major issue with it, I think it may be more of a DumaOS software issue.

Here’s what’s happening, 
When using the nighthawk iOS app, and I block/pause a devices internet using the app over 4G/LTE connection via remote access, it works flawlessly.

When I log into the router via localhost when I get home to unblock/unpause the devices internet, is shows as a black icon meaning it’s internet has been paused. When I use the DumaOS to unpause that device I click on “unblock” and the device icon in the network tree turns back to red, showing it’s now unblocked. 

It turns out that the devices internet is still blocked and I can not use internet on that device anymore. 

I’ve tried rebooting the XR700,  rebooting the device, using the nighthawk app, and also the netgear genie app which all show the device is unblocked, but it’s not. 

This has happened before with another device, which I found out that if you block the device using the nighthawk app via 4G/LTE you need to use the same app and 4G connection to unblock the device, which works.

If I use the app to block a device, then use the DumaOS  via local host to unblock it, it won’t work. So I have to block it again in the DumaOS software in the modem, then revert back to the nighthawk app to then unblock the device which works.

In conclusion, if blocking a device on the app it needs to be unblocked on the same app. Not on another platform.

Having said that, no matter what I do now I’m unable to unblock the device.

I’ve also tried forgetting the Wi-Fi access point on the device that can not be unblocked, and reconnecting to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz access points with no success. 

It’s now getting frustrating, not being able to use that device, which is a Wi-Fi only iPad.

Regards,
Andyj986 

Hi.

This maybe a Netgear or DumaOS issue! I am sure that when Netduma see this post they will try to replicate the problem and pass it onto Netgear. All I can suggest in the meantime is perform a factory reset of the router. Hopefully this will be resolved for you soon! 

• Administrators

Thanks for bringing this issue to light, I think this should be an easy one for the team to replicate given your instructions. I will pass it on to them now to reproduce. If you use the app when connected to the router WiFi does that change how it performs? I would also suggest doing a factory reset at this stage as it's the easiest way to get you back up and running.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for bringing this issue to light, I think this should be an easy one for the team to replicate given your instructions. I will pass it on to them now to reproduce. If you use the app when connected to the router WiFi does that change how it performs? I would also suggest doing a factory reset at this stage as it's the easiest way to get you back up and running.

Hi Fraser, thanks for your reply.

I have also tried connecting both apps (Nighthawk and Genie) via localhost with no avail.

When I am at home, I generally log into the DumaOS to block/unblock devices (mainly the kids iPads when it’s late) as I use the geo-location filter a fair bit.

I have a feeling that the more platforms used to try and unblock the device, unless you can remember the sequence you tried to unblock it with in reverse, it becomes a kind of Rubix Cube.

i want to avoid factory resetting the XR700 at this stage, as I loose all of my device names. 

I’ll leave it how it is at the moment, Incase you need a log report or more diagnostic info :) 

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great thanks for the extra information. The log could be good if it still has the information, if you haven't rebooted since it occurred. If so please provide, every little helps!

No problem,

i believe I have rebooted the router after the issue happened.

I’m currently at work on night shift (2:09am here in Australia) so I’ll also try and recreate the issue with a second iPad and see if it creates a new log file within the next 32 hours when I’ve got the time. 

I’ll post back here with my progress if it hasn’t been solved by then :)

On 3/11/2019 at 1:54 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Great thanks for the extra information. The log could be good if it still has the information, if you haven't rebooted since it occurred. If so please provide, every little helps!

Hi Fraser,

I have sent you a private message with my log file which contains more detailed info.

So other admins can see ill post the error the log file show below ive only removed my MAC addresses:

[Access Control] Device SUMMERS-IPAD with MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is allowed to access the network, Tuesday, March 12, 201
[DumaOS] RPC call 'block_device' exception 'ERROR: Rule not found in chain stack traceback: ^I?: in function '__new__' ^I?: in ,
[DumaOS] Long call 'del_rule' exception 'ERROR: Rule not found in chain stack traceback: ^I?: in function '__new__' ^I?: in fun,
[DumaOS] config write 'com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager.database', Tuesday, March 12, 2019 16:08:49
[DumaOS] config write 'com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager.database', Tuesday, March 12, 2019 16:08:08
[Access Control] Device SUMMERS-IPAD with MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is blocked to access the network, Tuesday, March 12, 201

This happens when using the NightHawk app via 4G to block the device, then using the DumaOS dashboard to unblock the device.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a update.

Just been in contact with NETGEAR, they dont seem to know whats going on as i need to see the devices in my app to be able to block/unblock them. Waiting for a call.

NETGEAR Support

2019-03-21 07:10:54
Hi Andrew, I would like to follow-up regarding your existing case. I was able to replicate the issue through the DUMAOS page wherein I can block/unblock devices. However, it seems that we have had issue with the nighthawk app that I cannot reproduce it from our end. With this, I would like to do a follow-up call to check if Device Manager in you Nighthawk app displays the devices connected to the network. Please provide the following information for me to contact you: * Preferred Contact number: * Date: * Best time frame (please include Time Zone): I look forward to speak with you. Sincerely, Ed NETGEAR Support

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, Andyj986 said:

Hi all,

Just a update.

Just been in contact with NETGEAR, they dont seem to know whats going on as i need to see the devices in my app to be able to block/unblock them. Waiting for a call.

Thanks for letting us know. So just to clarify that, you're waiting for a call from Netgear tech support?

4 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Thanks for letting us know. So just to clarify that, you're waiting for a call from Netgear tech support?

That is correct Jack, although i did miss the call, assuming it was NETGEAR calling from a unknown number, couldnt call back, so still pending.

• Netduma Staff
20 minutes ago, Andyj986 said:

That is correct Jack, although i did miss the call, assuming it was NETGEAR calling from a unknown number, couldnt call back, so still pending.

Hm okay. If you've got a forum post / thread open with them it might be worth letting them know you missed the call. I'm sure they'll call again today though :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have this problem with an iPhone that I blocked via the mobile app and cannot unblock from mobile app, or wired desktop connection. I've tried deleting the device while it's powered off, then powering back on and trying to join 5G and it's still blocked. 

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, CyberGator said:

I have this problem with an iPhone that I blocked via the mobile app and cannot unblock from mobile app, or wired desktop connection. I've tried deleting the device while it's powered off, then powering back on and trying to join 5G and it's still blocked. 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What happens when you try to unblock the device via the app or via the interface?