CPU overclocking?

Im not sure if it IS possible, but can we get an option for overclocking the cpu of the R1? Im guessing its not doable since the hardware probably is at max capacity as it is, just thought id throw the idea out there.

• Netduma Staff
4 hours ago, bbursley said:

Im not sure if it IS possible, but can we get an option for overclocking the cpu of the R1? Im guessing its not doable since the hardware probably is at max capacity as it is, just thought id throw the idea out there.

Eesh, that's one way to fry the router! It'd be like sticking a V8 in a Nissan Micra.

Maybe some day we'll build some optimisation tools like this though - there's a whole bunch of folks who'd appreciate being able to overclock it and control how it utilises the CPU, so I can't imagine it'll go under the radar. Thanks for the feedback :)

1 hour ago, Netduma Jack said:

Eesh, that's one way to fry the router! It'd be like sticking a V8 in a Nissan Micra.

Maybe some day we'll build some optimisation tools like this though - there's a whole bunch of folks who'd appreciate being able to overclock it and control how it utilises the CPU, so I can't imagine it'll go under the radar. Thanks for the feedback :)

I mean, perhaps it is. Mostly because of a cooling issue I’m sure. Maybe not “overclock” for good per say, but maybe when the CPU is being requested to much that it could give it a CPU burst and be overclocked momentarily? That way it’s not running in that state constantly, but still allows the R1 to be competitive in a sense with its future relatives. I think I looked up something about the CPU being overclocked by 25% somewhere. I think it would be good to have in those instances where someone clicks on YouTube and starts loading something or I’ve noticed upon initial loading of the web UI it does spike up to 100. Consider it more of a turbo rather than being fully overclocked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 5:37 PM, SturmButcher said:

Ohh I understand what you mean. That is called Turbo in some CPUs, it is a good suggestion, but that's is something that need to be built inside the CPU in the microcode. 

Actually It already is I’m pretty sure. I looked up somewhere that it can and has been overclocked to 700mhz constantly and has remained cool and stable, will that extra 100mhz add much boost? I’m not sure, could it be boosted beyond that for very very brief periods of time? I’m not sure, but it can be boosted permanently at least by a margin. 

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=101180

Just as a reference 

It really comes down to the team testing different ideas and finding out what is the best option. I personally feel like there should be a boost option, or a constant one. Even other router firmwares allow these options within them (well a constant overclock option anyways).

3 hours ago, bbursley said:

Actually It already is I’m pretty sure. I looked up somewhere that it can and has been overclocked to 700mhz constantly and has remained cool and stable, will that extra 100mhz add much boost? I’m not sure, could it be boosted beyond that for very very brief periods of time? I’m not sure, but it can be boosted permanently at least by a margin. 

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=101180

Just as a reference 

It really comes down to the team testing different ideas and finding out what is the best option. I personally feel like there should be a boost option, or a constant one. Even other router firmwares allow these options within them (well a constant overclock option anyways).

The thing is that  you don't been to boost the CPU clocks, I think with the current hardware (top line) don't bottleneck the current workload. You only will get something if the current workload is bottlenecked.

6 hours ago, SturmButcher said:

The thing is that  you don't been to boost the CPU clocks, I think with the current hardware (top line) don't bottleneck the current workload. You only will get something if the current workload is bottlenecked.

I don’t think I understand what you mean when you say you don’t been to boost. Did you mean choose to boost? Because you absolutely can choose to overclock a CPU as far as I can tell. My current Asus with DDWRT has an option for overclocking it you can choose to add like 200mhz under the options. The R1’s hardware is definitely not top of the line. Honestly neither are the others (well I’m not sure what the specs of the xr700 are). But either way if I can squeeze an extra 100mhz out of device safely (or higher) then why not? It could be that it helps make QOS even more effective by being able to process more data quicker. Again this is going to be something the team has to look into, and if they are not looking to discontinue the R1, then they should certainly optimize its power in whatever way possible, even if that means dumbing down the UI to become a little less fancy. The old interface wasn’t amazing but it certainly never had that spinning wheel of death like DumaOS has, and that’s not just the R1 either. I saw YouTube videos of the xr700 (several times more powerful than the R1 and even significantly more than the xr450/500). Also, I wouldn’t say that I bottleneck the router ever, but if I can pinch some speed out and apply it to a specific task or just have it there then it doesn’t hurt to. 

• 8 months later...