Device prioritisation xr500

I have encountered a bug and confirmed it by testing it multiple times.

My security camera system can be accessed via 4G outside my home network. And with device priorities set up to anything other then the default my camera times out and won't stream.

So leaving default it works, and changing to 30% xbox for up and down caused my camera to time out and not stream.

Why would this be happening even when my xbox if not even on so the device prioritisation red light isn't even on? 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum! 

Device Prioritization is meant for low bandwidth applications, if you're configuring it to stream constantly then that will cause issues as you've seen.

It sounds like you've disabled share excess on Bandwidth Allocation so when you adjust the console bandwidth it then gives less to the camera system and pushes it under the limit it needs. What are your speeds and what bandwidth does the camera system require?

Share excess is never disabled on my setup. I have prioritized my xbox console on another setting and that is only when it's on. 

With no network bandwidth even being used and xbox set to even 20% caused my camera to time out and not connect. Putting it back on default share would make it work perfect again. 

Speeds of my net are woeful at 13mbit down /1mbit up, camera can sometimes require 700-900kbits to stream. 

If share of xbox is 20% and it is not on, why would the camera not stream is my question. With share excess on. 

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum :) seems like a peculiar issue. I've never seen another kind of device just stop working as a result of Bandwidth Allocation settings. Perhaps the camera is ultra-sensitive about how much potential bandwidth it can take? What happens if you give your Xbox about 20% but also give your camera maybe 50%?

Even resetting allocation and then giving xbox only 10% it still has the issue, even with my xbox turned off and unplugged with share excess turned on. 

Only way for it to work with my camera is to leave it on default which is kind of disappointing. 

• Netduma Staff
23 minutes ago, Glenjamin88 said:

Even resetting allocation and then giving xbox only 10% it still has the issue, even with my xbox turned off and unplugged with share excess turned on. 

Only way for it to work with my camera is to leave it on default which is kind of disappointing. 

Hrm. If it's any consolation, our developers always recommend resetting Bandwidth Allocation for gaming and using it mostly for big downloads - you should be good to go with it reset. It's a frustratingly strange issue though. If you go into Anti-Bufferbloat and set your bandwidth to 1000/1000, and set Anti-Bufferbloat to 100/100, then use Bandwidth Allocation as usual does your camera still drop out?

Only reason I like it on is I live with few other people and have around 20 devices on wifi and only xbox is on LAN. So when it's at a peak time of the night and I'm gaming and other people are using the net my game is drastically lagging and ping going through roof. With my xbox set to 40% up and down allocation I'm playing blissfully and everyone else doesn't seem to have any issues. Apart from having no one able to connect to camera system while out the house. 

I will try what you said and get back to you 

On 3/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, Netduma Jack said:

. If you go into Anti-Bufferbloat and set your bandwidth to 1000/1000, and set Anti-Bufferbloat to 100/100, then use Bandwidth Allocation as usual does your camera still drop out?

Doing this and setting my xbox to 30% caused no issues what so ever for my camera system but realistically my net is 13mb/1mb and giving it 30% with your settings will be 297mb/297mb which would be same as it being disabled in my setup 

• Administrators

The scenario that you described you'd be better served by utilising Anti-Bufferbloat instead of Bandwidth Allocation so I'd reset Anti-Bufferbloat back to your speeds. Put it on 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' and start with 70% for the sliders. Leaving Bandwidth Allocation default and share excess on. Does that resolve it?

Guest Killhippie
17 hours ago, Glenjamin88 said:

Putting bufferbloat at 70% is working good and having bandwidth at default is making camera working at the cost of my bandwidth being sucked by other users while gaming which sacrifice until I get better net 

Gaming bandwidth is tiny 1Mbps is really about all you need. As Fraser said ping is what's important and with antibufferbloat at 70% (depending on your upload and download speeds) and your gaming device removed from bandwidth allocation and added to geo filter only, all should work well.