Numbers in device manager and device type query

Hi

I'm a bit new to all this and have recently purchased the XR500 which so far its been plain sailing as I drift through all the settings.

When i open device manager and view my network I can click on each client and this opens a window to the right called device settings.Under the name which i altereda I noticed some numbers i.e. 7/35 or 11/35 and was wondering what these represent.

My second question is does the device type make a deference as I have an EX8000 extender and I've selected a computer and hue which I've selected laptop. is this just for reference or does this impact how the software treats the connected devices.

• Administrators

Hi Newfie - welcome to the forum! Great to hear you are enjoying it so far.

2 hours ago, Newfie said:

Under the name which i altereda I noticed some numbers i.e. 7/35 or 11/35 and was wondering what these represent.

This is the character limit for the device name i.e. you can only enter a device name up to 35 characters long, and so far you have a name that is 7 or 11 characters long! In hindsight, we probably don't really need to show this as it's a little confusing 

2 hours ago, Newfie said:

My second question is does the device type make a deference as I have an EX8000 extender and I've selected a computer and hue which I've selected laptop. is this just for reference or does this impact how the software treats the connected devices.

Device Type is just cosmetic, so you can give it any device type you like, with one exception. If you give a device the type of a console (Xbox or Playstation), it will be treated differently in other features like the Geo-Filter and Traffic Prioritization e.g. all traffic is automatically prioritised on devices that are consoles. So just avoid the console type for now.

We plan to add a lot more device types in the future, as well as possibly allowing a user to manually add their own type.

Thank you for your reply and the warm welcome.The numbers had me well baffled 😀

l will keep just the PS4 as console, thanks for the tip.

Yes I’m loving the router and the software, it’s made a real difference to my gaming as my old Apple router had no QOS. Must confess I spend as much time looking at the geo filter as I do playing! 

Thanks again for putting my mind at rest.

• Netduma Staff
12 hours ago, Newfie said:

Thank you for your reply and the warm welcome.The numbers had me well baffled 😀

l will keep just the PS4 as console, thanks for the tip.

Yes I’m loving the router and the software, it’s made a real difference to my gaming as my old Apple router had no QOS. Must confess I spend as much time looking at the geo filter as I do playing! 

Thanks again for putting my mind at rest.

Welcome to the forum :) just out of curiosity since we're building a phone app, do you enjoy using the Geo-Filter as much as you do? Would you prefer more of DumaOS to be automated / plug and play, or do you enjoy tweaking settings at the same time as playing?

On 3/7/2019 at 10:38 AM, Netduma Jack said:

Welcome to the forum :) just out of curiosity since we're building a phone app, do you enjoy using the Geo-Filter as much as you do? Would you prefer more of DumaOS to be automated / plug and play, or do you enjoy tweaking settings at the same time as playing?

Hi

Thank you for the warm welcome, my apologies for the late reply, work gets in the way 😊

I use my iPad a fair bit and have it setup next to me when I’m playing. I like to see what’s going on and alter it as I play with my friends and we tend to switch games through the evening. I do prefer to control my settings to be honest and have discovered some interesting side affects when in a party on some games. 

The app would be great as Chrome on my iPad does not always display the information correctly if you need to scroll down or need a setting that’s below the main screen you can’t get to the setting to alter it.

I also get a script error if I attempt to change Wi-fi settings so I need to use my MacBook for any Wi-fi settings.

Would it be possible for the app to have a basic and advanced setting to allow users to either have a plug and play or full control like the desktop version?

• Administrators

Great thanks for the feedback! We'll have to see how we can shrink the interface down into the app, I imagine it would be too much to basically change the way the app works completely from the regular interface like that. It'd probably be simpler if anything and then if any advanced settings need to be changed then they could be done on a PC. We're still collecting feedback though so we're not ruling anything out!

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Great thanks for the feedback! We'll have to see how we can shrink the interface down into the app, I imagine it would be too much to basically change the way the app works completely from the regular interface like that. It'd probably be simpler if anything and then if any advanced settings need to be changed then they could be done on a PC. We're still collecting feedback though so we're not ruling anything out!

Perhaps as you say the app could be aimed at purely gaming experience so that all the advanced settings like wireless setup, device manager, VPN and others could be done via a PC and settings like geo filter, QoS , network monitor handled via the app for on the fly adjustment. 

I would be happy with that as some settings I never alter like wireless setup and all it’s related settings under the settings menu.

• Netduma Staff
On 3/10/2019 at 9:53 AM, Newfie said:

Perhaps as you say the app could be aimed at purely gaming experience so that all the advanced settings like wireless setup, device manager, VPN and others could be done via a PC and settings like geo filter, QoS , network monitor handled via the app for on the fly adjustment. 

I would be happy with that as some settings I never alter like wireless setup and all it’s related settings under the settings menu.

Would you say automation is a big thing you'd want? Say you open up the App and you're able to select a gaming profile, which inputs all the settings you've assigned to it, and away you go? Or would you rather everything is quite manual as it is currently?

I like the idea of the automation.

I use a Xim Apex on my ps4 which allows a mouse and keyboard as i suffer with my old hands. This is very much like you suggested where once i have the settings configured I simply select the game profile and away I go. If the game I play alters i.e. they adjust movement I can flick into to settings and readjust. This is all controlled via an app on my iPad which connects via bluetooth.

Profiles would be great as its just a case of selecting it and away you go.

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, Newfie said:

I like the idea of the automation.

I use a Xim Apex on my ps4 which allows a mouse and keyboard as i suffer with my old hands. This is very much like you suggested where once i have the settings configured I simply select the game profile and away I go. If the game I play alters i.e. they adjust movement I can flick into to settings and readjust. This is all controlled via an app on my iPad which connects via bluetooth.

Profiles would be great as its just a case of selecting it and away you go.

Nice, thanks for letting me know this is something you'd like to see :)