Would paying for a VPN service and running it on my Xbox one reduce lag during fifa?

R.J.H1991

No idea if this would even help but I've read a fair bit about VPNs possibly benefitting gamers.

Would purchasing ExpressVPN and adding it to my xbox one for fifa 19 help at all?

My connection seems fine at the beginning of games, however it's like i slowly sync out of them. They become slower, heavy and sluggish as the game goes on. 

Hi and welcome to our forum.

In short the answer to your question is NO. This is because a vpn encrypts traffic sent and received. This causes extra delay (lag) and therefore is not conducive to gaming. Your base ping is your base ping and cannot be lowered without changing ISP's or repairing your line if you happened to have a fault.

• Administrators

Hey welcome to the forum! 

As BD said it would increase your latency. I have heard some people say they use a VPN for Fifa also but I can't imagine that it would prevent what you're seeing. If they have a free trial then maybe try it out but I wouldn't recommend buying it.

VPN services can have an impact on your online gaming in terms of port forwarding and securing your IP but I think it will not impact on the gaming speed, also as Fraser said there are many VPN services like express, PureVPN and Cyberghost who offers trial period, you can get it to check if its really works. 

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, kevin222 said:

VPN services can have an impact on your online gaming in terms of port forwarding and securing your IP but I think it will not impact on the gaming speed, also as Fraser said there are many VPN services like express, PureVPN and Cyberghost who offers trial period, you can get it to check if its really works. 

Welcome to the forum Kevin! Free trials are a good shout, but it will always affect gaming speed. VPN's add a middle-man, increasing the distance your data needs to travel to reach the game server and return. Your ping will always be higher as a result of the increased distance, and depending on how the VPN server treats your data extra latency can be added there as well!

• 2 months later...