Please help WiFi is 1/5 of connected speeds

Chf Wiggum

So I recently turned off the QOS because I was only getting about 150 mbps vs 300 mpbs without it on. Not sure what is better for gaming but seems as though just leaving it off is better. My question is on WiFi I only get about 50 mbps I understand I should lose about half of my connected speed but should I be losing 5x the speed? I don't have these kind of dips with the comcast router. Is there some settings that I am missing on the WiFI? Or is the WiFi on this router that bad? I have the original R1 router.  

Thanks

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, Chf Wiggum said:

So I recently turned off the QOS because I was only getting about 150 mbps vs 300 mpbs without it on. Not sure what is better for gaming but seems as though just leaving it off is better. My question is on WiFi I only get about 50 mbps I understand I should lose about half of my connected speed but should I be losing 5x the speed? I don't have these kind of dips with the comcast router. Is there some settings that I am missing on the WiFI? Or is the WiFi on this router that bad? I have the original R1 router.  

Thanks

Hi - I've moved your post to support so you can get more visibility on it :)

Turning QoS off is a good call when you're on such high speeds. Generally speaking, the QoS settings are used to organise, allocate and prioritise your bandwidth when there's not enough to go around or there's other traffic on your network. If you think of it like a train; if you've got tonnes of empty seats and only a few passengers, you don't need a system to reserve seats. That's the case with 300mbps bandwidth - you aren't going to max that out easily, and your router will perform better with QoS disabled as a result.

50mbps is the max you can reach over the R1 WiFi I'm afraid, since it only supports 2.4GHz. It's fairly old hardware but the specs are more than good enough for gaming since you should be playing over Ethernet anyway. I hope this helps!

• Administrators

Not that we have created, Netgear have the XR450, XR500 and the XR700 which run DumaOS and would be able to achieve your speeds with QoS on. 

I would say 500 is a stretch in that regard, 300 is more likely but its dependent on the connection

Just upgraded to the XR500 and still get only 55.69 down 18.57 up.  When I am plugged in direct I get 300 down 25 up. I am thinking the $300 upgrade was not worth it as it appears every thing is the exact same. Can you please help optimize this and give me the pros of the new hardware as it seems to be preforming the same as the R1. Thanks 

• Administrators

This must be a wireless issue as ethernet speeds are full. I suspect has a lot to do with the device you are using to test. Which device are you using? Could you also try disabling Smart Connect in >Settings >Wireless Setup then make 100% sure you;re connected to the 5G band when you search for wireless networks. Then test speeds wirelessly again.

Thanks for the info I was using a laptop to test the speeds at speedtest.net, I will have to try testing it on other devices and removing the smart connect to see if this improves speeds.  I did get speeds up to 80 down and 20 which is enough for pretty much all of my devices. Also game play seems to be smoother and I am actually able to get kills vs dying instantly when the guys not even facing me. Is the nighthawk faster at processing data vs the R1 regardless of speed? I ask because although speeds are relatively the same it does seem a little more legit and the antenna range is way better than the r1 so looks like I may be holding on to it for a while.