Random Freezes XR500

Hello Guys;

Just wanted to inform the netduma support team of a very strange issue that I'm having with my XR500. I think that I might have isolated the issue but I'm not sure. My router has frozen 2 times in less than a week. Wired and wireless connection icons on my devices shows that they are connected but I cannot browse the web on any of them. I did a ping test from my PC (hardwired) to the router (when the problem occurred) and It just gave me a "Request Timed Out" msg, same thing happened using my iphone which was connected using the 5ghz band. Rebooting the router solves the problem but I don't think that behavior is normal. The only thing that I can remember is that my logged in session on the router expired before the problem started showing. I have two monitors and I keep a Chrome tab open on the router's Geo Filter Page whenever I game on my PC.

So in short; whenever this strange behavior occurs, I am not able to ping the router (192.168.1.1) or my modem (192.168.100.1) which is in bridge mode and connected on the WAN interface of the XR500 from any device connected to the router (wired or wireless). I'm also not able to ping any intra-net device,  PC to Phone or vice versa. Rebooting the router solves the problem. My theory is that the problem likely start occurring if my logged in session expires because of inactivity.

Running latest FW. 2.3.40

Factory Reset performed After FW upgrade.

PS:

Happy New Year Guys!!

Please keep innovating and moving consumer network tech forward as you are doing now..!! 

• Administrators

Hi there - thanks for reporting this and for the kind words. 

It would definitely be strange for the UI timeout to affect anything, but it’s possible.

A few questions:

1. Are you using Hybrid VPN?

2. If you go to System Information now, are the CPU graphs very high or do they look normal?

3. Is your router well ventilated? (no risk of overheating)

4. What mode is your Anti-Bufferbloat in?

Happy New Year to you too!

Hello;

Thanks for replying...

Answer to your questions are as follows;

1- Nope

2- A few momentarily 80-90% spikes that don't last 2 seconds mainly while I'm logging into it, then it settles at around 10-40%.

3- Its on my bedroom on top of my drawer at less than 75F with only my ISP modem by itside but not too close, one equipment on each side of the top of my drawer.

4- Anti buffer bloat mode "When High Priority Traffic Detected". QOS Sliders at 60% Down and 50% Up. (Total ISP Bandwidth is 150 Down and 15 UP)

If you need anything else, please let me know...

• Administrators

Thanks for the reply. Could you do this please:

1. Set Hybrid VPN to disable instead of enable (unlikely this is doing anything in enable state as you have no details entered, but you never know)
  2. Just use Anti-Bufferbloat in 'Always' or 'Never' mode for the next 48 hours. (Always when gaming, never when not). 

Let's see if that fixes the problem. If it does, after 48 hours, set Anti-BB back to High Priority Traffic Detected mode and then see if the issue comes back. Hopefully it doesn't, but doing these steps above pretty much eliminates the cause of the freezes from being from DumaOS.

Will do and report back.. Thanks...

Just another FYI;

I'm also seeing something strange on the Device Manager Page. It shows offline devices with IP assigned. If I try to delete the entry from the device manager page, an error msg surfaces saying that the device cannot be deleted because its online (When its not). I also have seen 2 IPs assigned to the same device without the device being capable of such thing (my ps4 was listed with 2 IPs and its connected wireless on the 5ghz band only, no Ethernet cable attached). Sometimes the device that's on the offline side of the device manager page with an IP assigned to it, is listed as an "Unknown Device" and I don't know why because I have already previously  identified all of my connected device.. Just wanted to point that out because it seems weird for me.. :S

• Administrators

It can take a little bit of time before the IP address is released so you can then delete it. Unknown device could be a device that was previously connected via wifi but now connected via ethernet for example as will both have different mac addresses.

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, SenSei G said:

Thanks Fraser for replying...

I will keep an eye on it then. But as I recall, I have never plugged in my PS4. Never the less I will monitor it and let you guys know if I see anything else...

Fraser seems spot on - offline devices being still assigned an IP address is a standard thing across routers, you just need to wait a bit before you'll be able to delete them. I believe sometimes a reboot can speed up the process. If you never plugged in your PS4 then I'm not certain about the double IP thing, but it doesn't sound like anything to worry about :)

this new issue is a little different then just dhcp lease time

xr500 has a built in 24 hour lease period i believe - so if a device disconnects it will be given the same ip back when it reconnects (it will even give it back if its still available after the lease time as client may request it as a preferred ip)

leases are held in dhcp.leases file in the router with the last time renewed ..

this issue is the device disconnects, still in the lease period, but duma still thinks the ip is in use and in an active state, it should not show an ip when you click on a device in device manager if a device is listed in offline, it should just show its mac address -- even if its still in the lease period

the router knows when a device is not connected and duma apps query many sources on the router to get this info, just right now its not picking it up sometimes and clients go offline but have a sticky "active" ip still attached -- and sometimes the reverse happens, it's offline , has an active ip, and IS active, but duma holds it in offline state

qos rules know what device is active and what they are doing packet wise -- if a device that's marked as offline is sending active packet data weird things can happen with the packets if qos thinks it should be offline .. it could think its a security thing and close connections, or misroute packets -- it doesn't seem to effect the most basic traffic like port 80  web, and some approved default ports, but it does effect higher port ranges, making apps on an effected device not work so well, but once qos is disabled they work in this state as the router itself knows what to do with the packets

hope this makes sense

• Netduma Staff
20 hours ago, xr500user said:

this new issue is a little different then just dhcp lease time

xr500 has a built in 24 hour lease period i believe - so if a device disconnects it will be given the same ip back when it reconnects (it will even give it back if its still available after the lease time as client may request it as a preferred ip)

leases are held in dhcp.leases file in the router with the last time renewed ..

this issue is the device disconnects, still in the lease period, but duma still thinks the ip is in use and in an active state, it should not show an ip when you click on a device in device manager if a device is listed in offline, it should just show its mac address -- even if its still in the lease period

the router knows when a device is not connected and duma apps query many sources on the router to get this info, just right now its not picking it up sometimes and clients go offline but have a sticky "active" ip still attached -- and sometimes the reverse happens, it's offline , has an active ip, and IS active, but duma holds it in offline state

qos rules know what device is active and what they are doing packet wise -- if a device that's marked as offline is sending active packet data weird things can happen with the packets if qos thinks it should be offline .. it could think its a security thing and close connections, or misroute packets -- it doesn't seem to effect the most basic traffic like port 80  web, and some approved default ports, but it does effect higher port ranges, making apps on an effected device not work so well, but once qos is disabled they work in this state as the router itself knows what to do with the packets

hope this makes sense

Thanks for investigating XR500user :) we're checking out cases at a constant rate so I'm sure our developers will get around to this one at some point.