Turn off Share excess for certain devices

I currently have a wifi router double routed to my Netduma R1 on the last port that i mainly use for my wireless devices (its a better wifi router than the NDR1) so i currently have 3 devices plus the router connected through LAN, all the devices take priority over the wifi router so can there be a way to disable share excess and just lock down the share excess for selected devices. id like the three devices on LAN to share excess among each other but i dont want the Wifi Router to join in and suck up more than it needs.

I have QOS on NDR1 set to 70% and always active, and my Wifi Router set to 10% U\D Bandwidth allocation but i feel like its taking more than it needs at times.

• Administrators

There is no way to do that currently. What I would suggest however is to put the WiFi router in AP mode so that all devices connected to it appear as individual devices on the R1. You can then raise/lower their bandwidth allocations individually.

Thanks i did just that. Im gonna test my LAN devices soon on Bridge mode and just leave the NDR1 as a traffic signal. Iv been having some issues with my PS4 on the NDR1 its giving me a fragmentation error when i try to limit my MTU on the PS4 telling me my router doesn't support fragmentation. It began happening soon after the firmware update, not sure which device, i updated both NDR1 and the PS4 around the same time i think and prior to the DumaOS upgrade i didn't have that issue. 

I know the NDR1 is just a vessel for the software so i might as well treat it as so till the next update. 

• Administrators

Okay great, let us know how you get on!

So it only happened when changing MTU? That can happen if you haven't tested what MTU your connection supports without fragmentation. I wouldn't recommend changing MTU as this won't give you an advantage in game.

It seems to only happen when i change my MTU within the PS4. Im on PPPOE my MTU is 1492 on the router and its fine i haven't had any packet loss issues except when i change the MTU on the PS4 and PS3 settings i get the fragmentation error telling me my router does not support fragmentation. The only fix i found was to set all PS4 settings on automatic and reserve a DHCP IP to spoof a static IP and keep the MTU on the router set to 1492, doing that got rid of the error but i haven't properly tested packet loss yet. for possible mismatching MTU settings. 

• Administrators

If that's working then I would not mess with it. Sounds like the console is not communicating the correct value that you have set for some reason so leave automatic if the router is set to 1492 as the console will use that anyway so no need to set it up manually.

• 11 months later...

@ajeel does your modem use the same mtu? also does your modem have ipv6 with possibly a higher mtu?

MY ISP has ipv6 with 1500 but when disabled my mtu drops to 1492, I have to make sure all my devices use all the same mtu or i get problems too

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Frazer

this is a feature I'm kinda curious on finding out if it will be implemented into dumaOS 3.0, being able share excess bandwidth among only some devices while selected devices get a set amount. I've found a few posts relating to this idea

If you want to have only certain devices limited in bandwidth but have others share the excess, get a managable switch and set a limit on the port you want to limit. Then you leave share excess on on the R1 but you can limit specific devices.

• Netduma Staff
On 12/21/2019 at 6:48 AM, TimothyYoung said:

@Frazer

this is a feature I'm kinda curious on finding out if it will be implemented into dumaOS 3.0, being able share excess bandwidth among only some devices while selected devices get a set amount. I've found a few posts relating to this idea

On 12/21/2019 at 7:54 AM, Bert said:

If you want to have only certain devices limited in bandwidth but have others share the excess, get a managable switch and set a limit on the port you want to limit. Then you leave share excess on on the R1 but you can limit specific devices.

I can't disclose too much, but DumaOS 3.0 is going to make you both veeeeery happy on that front. QoS is getting something special next year.