XR700 Hybrid VPN keeps crashing the router every 2-3 days

As per title, I have a problem with the router crashing/freezing every 2-3 days. I opened a ticket with Netgear support but after a few replies I was redirected here for support since it is a problem with Netduma OS itself rather than the hardware.

I have setup my XR700 Hybrid VPN to use my Proton VPN account, but every 2-3 days the router freezes and the wifi connection goes down as well. When that happens and I login into the admin panel and everything seems to be working as normal, but when I try to open the Hybrid VPN app I get back an error message that the application is not loaded yet. At this point the only thing I can do to fix it is reboot the router and everything got back to normal until 2-3 days later again.

I downloaded the openVPN configuration file from ProtonVPN's site and I'm using the "Linux/UDP port" configuration file. Can someone help me find a solution to this problem? I'm wondering if maybe something in the ovpn configuration file is causing the issue, I've gone ahead and attached one of the ovpn files I tested to this post, too.

From that file I also tried commenting out these 2 lines below as a test (they caused me issues on my NAS), but nothing seems to have changed:

up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

Additionally I've gone ahead and attached part of the error log I retrieved when everything froze/crashed. Every time it happens the log is the same as the one I attached.

nl-09.protonvpn.com.udp1194.ovpn

Router_XR700_vpn-error_log.zip

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! This seems like a weird issue, thanks for going into so much detail about what's happening. Have you definitely narrowed it down to the VPN itself? Have you tried disabling your VPN since you downloaded the new upgrade? It's always possible that there's another cause unless it's ruled out.

I've sent this thread straight to a developer to have a look at. Hybrid VPN is a very new feature for the Nighthawks, so it's possible that there's a niche bug going on (especially given the complexity of different config files).

Are there any other Proton VPN configs you can try?

As asked by Netgear's support I've been testing now for 4 days with Hybrid VPN disabled on the router and I've had no issues after it. So yeah, I'm fairly sure the problem is there. I've had this router for more than 2 weeks now and I've tested also another 2 VPN servers (1 in Italy and 1 in Germany), the result was the same sadly.

If you need any more details/logs just let me know :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, just in case, that the Firmware version is 1.0.1.2 (the latest at this time).

• Administrators

No harm in trying a different config file. No one has reported this error so far, so it could mean it's specific to your config file for some reason. It would be good if you could re-enable VPN when you're ready to, that way you'll no for certain whether you've just been lucky for the past few days or whether it's definitely Hybrid VPN.

I plan on waiting another 2-3 days to be sure I have no issues with Hybrid VPN off. Then I'll re-enable it using the TCP configuration file. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'd retrieve the VPN log too if possible, but when the issue happens the box that contains the log doesn't load unfortunately. Maybe there are more details there. Any way to retrieve it from somewhere else perhaps?

• Netduma Staff
13 hours ago, terabyte said:

I plan on waiting another 2-3 days to be sure I have no issues with Hybrid VPN off. Then I'll re-enable it using the TCP configuration file. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'd retrieve the VPN log too if possible, but when the issue happens the box that contains the log doesn't load unfortunately. Maybe there are more details there. Any way to retrieve it from somewhere else perhaps?

Do you mean the log in System Info? I don't think there's a way to retrieve that from elsewhere, but the information in there could be helpful... It's a shame it's not loading properly. Let us know how you get on with the other config file and we'll go from there and explore further steps. Thank you for your patience on this, once we get to the bottom of it we can see if there's anything we can fix!

3 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Do you mean the log in System Info? I don't think there's a way to retrieve that from elsewhere, but the information in there could be helpful... It's a shame it's not loading properly. Let us know how you get on with the other config file and we'll go from there and explore further steps. Thank you for your patience on this, once we get to the bottom of it we can see if there's anything we can fix!

No, I can access the log in System Information. I'm talking about the VPN log in "Hybrid VPN > VPN Setup BOX > Logs TAB". That's the one box/widget that doesn't load at all when the router stops working.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, terabyte said:

No, I can access the log in System Information. I'm talking about the VPN log in "Hybrid VPN > VPN Setup BOX > Logs TAB". That's the one box/widget that doesn't load at all when the router stops working.

Ok that's helpful to know. Could you explain what you mean by 'doesn't load'? If you could take a screenshot the next time it happens that would be ideal.

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Ok that's helpful to know. Could you explain what you mean by 'doesn't load'? If you could take a screenshot the next time it happens that would be ideal.

The box remains with the loading animation and after waiting a couple of minutes last time I got a popup message "This R-App is not loaded yet". Checking the apps list in system info I also see that the Hybrid VPN app is listed as being paused there. At that point the only thing I was able  to do to fix it was reboot. I can take a screenshot next time it happens if you want.

The box beside it, with the list of the devices setup to use the VPN, loads just fine though.

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, terabyte said:

The box remains with the loading animation and after waiting a couple of minutes last time I got a popup message "This R-App is not loaded yet". Checking the apps list in system info I also see that the Hybrid VPN app is listed as being paused there. At that point the only thing I was able  to do to fix it was reboot. I can take a screenshot next time it happens if you want.

The box beside it, with the list of the devices setup to use the VPN, loads just fine though.

If you could take a screenshot or copy your System Info logs when it happens next that'd be great. I'll then pass this thread to a developer to take a look at, hopefully they might have an idea of what's happening here. (Still thinkin' it's something in the config file!)

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

If you could take a screenshot or copy your System Info logs when it happens next that'd be great. I'll then pass this thread to a developer to take a look at, hopefully they might have an idea of what's happening here. (Still thinkin' it's something in the config file!)

In that case, the error log I attached in the first post was copy/pasted from System Info Logs right after it happened last time ;)

I enabled the VPN yesterday and I early afternoon today it stopped working while I was using it. I was able to retrieve the VPN log this time, too. I'll send you a PM in a minute with the error log.

I feel the crash was different this time though. I was able to simply disable and re-enable the VPN manually without having to reboot the whole router. Or maybe it gets "stuck" only after some time passes after the VPN errors out? Not sure...

• Administrators

If you could PM it to Netduma Jack or Netduma Admin that would be preferable thanks.

It's possible the server went down, either just on ISP side or because you were hit. In those circumstances you would need to reconnect.

On 12/20/2018 at 7:56 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

If you could PM it to Netduma Jack or Netduma Admin that would be preferable thanks.

It's possible the server went down, either just on ISP side or because you were hit. In those circumstances you would need to reconnect.

Already sent a PM when I made the post above. It seems nobody has read it yet, though.

can confirm same issue with the xr500 i sold my mate. 

router lost internet connection twice today and reconnected itself 5 mins after wards... ? (on latest firmware - VPN was enabled)

once this am around 10:40 and this evening at 7:16

oddly there log is empty immediately before the failure , i can only see the log details after it reconnected  itself ?

• Administrators
6 hours ago, terabyte said:

Already sent a PM when I made the post above. It seems nobody has read it yet, though.

Thanks for sending this through. A developer will need to look into this to figure out what is happening here. This will need to wait until the New Year - we will update you then (feel free to chase us up on it too). Thanks.

On 12/25/2018 at 2:14 PM, xlr8r said:

still losing internet a few times a day ?

going to try without VPN enabled to see if router runs stable before reverting to previous firmware.

Merry Christmas to all....

[UPDATE]

Can 100% confirm when Hybrid VPN is enabled, router loses internet after a day and thereafter several times daily.

Therefore.. its now a pretty useless function, so it's been disabled until Devs sort it out ....

(in this case, the router doesn't crash or anything as severe as the OP,  in this case, the internet just appears as disconnected in the log and after 5 mins , reconnects.

Happy New year 

• Administrators

So you've not found it to be related to DHCP or anything like that? Thank for the information I'll pass it onto the team, I assume this is with no VPN provider actually being used/devices going through the VPN? Happy New Year!

On 12/30/2018 at 1:56 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

So you've not found it to be related to DHCP or anything like that? Thank for the information I'll pass it onto the team, I assume this is with no VPN provider actually being used/devices going through the VPN? Happy New Year!

hi Fraser,

no, only when the vpn (IPVanish) is enabled and active. only 2 devices were listed in VPN.

internet just drops for no obvious reason other than VPN running.

Router runs okay (no drops) when its disabled...? cheers