Internet Giga Speed on Netduma R1 with DumaOS Milestone 1.3

Donovan

Hello Netduma,

I just upgraded to the Internet Giga Speed with my service provider Videotron.com and I have a new modem Technicolor TC4400-AM HW Ver. 3.0.0.

I set my QoS Anti-Bufferbloat at 100% Download/Upload, Bandwidth Allocation - Download/Upload before to disable QoS. I also put my Download Bandwidth at 1000Mbps and my Upload at 60Mbps. I want to see if the Netduma R1 with DumaOS Milestone 1.3 can handle my new Internet Giga Speed, but sadly I can't reach the 1Gbps. I only get 453.66Mbps for my download and my upload can go up to 56.45Mbps. and the CPU Usage reach 90%.

Is it normal that Netduma R1 with DumaOS Milestone 1.3  can't handle the Internet Giga Speed with QoS disabled?

Note: When I plug my modem directly to my PC, Linksys & Netgear routers, I can reach the Giga speed without any problem and my all Ethernet cables are CAT5e, CAT6, or CAT7.

Internet Giga with R1.PNG

• Administrators

Disable it properly from Anti-Bufferbloats options and then redo the test but yes it is normal as it's a hardware limitation. In a perfect lab environment we've got ~800mbps but those are perfect conditions and real life will differ

That's exactly what I did. I checked the button for Disable QoS and I also rebooted the R1 to see if there's a different but the result are the same. I can't go above the 500Mbps..

• Netduma Staff
11 hours ago, Donovan said:

With the QoS on, my Netduma R1 can reach 230Mbps. What is the max speed could you reach with QoS on for the XR500 and XR700?

I believe due to higher processing power those routers can reach gigabit speeds with QoS enabled. It's not really necessary to have it enabled at those speeds though, and every network is different. 500mbps is actually extremely good for an R1 - in my experience I see them mostly capped at 400mbps or less.

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, Donovan said:

Does anyone at Netduma have tested it out and who can give me the max speed with QoS enabled for the XR500 and XR700?

I have done it in the past but don't want to mislead you by trying to remember. I'll see if the team can do it for you and let you know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi Donovan - the R1 can achieve QoS at max speeds of around 150mbps - 250mbps depending on your connection and the demand on your router. Any point after that is beyond the hardware, so you then have to disable QoS if you want to achieve speeds up to 700mbps.

If you wanted to achieve QoS at higher speeds then you might want to consider getting the DumaOS powered XR500 or XR700. XR500 has hardware acceleration and the XR700 is just an absolute beast in terms of hardware so they can easily achieve over 1000mbps so will easily handle QoS on your connection 😃