Is the RX500 my best option?

Texloh

*Excuse my lack of computer knowledge in advance.

I am considering buying the RX500, (or really any of NETGEAR routers, just haven’t made my mind up), but I’m not sure one of these routers will actually substantially boost my internet connection. 

I’m a competitive gamer on Xbox, and the need for quicker internet speed is aggravating me more and more everyday. I’m also wanting to begin Twitch streaming, but I know I need a decent internet speed for that- which I do NOT have :(

I’m constantly lag spiking at least 1-2 times in a single match, and I’ve been looking into buying a new WiFi extender, and as a passionate, nerd for video games, the NETGEAR RX500 quickly caught my attention. 

When I download video games, updates, DLC, etc, my download speed varies around 1-6 Megabytes per second. My modem is located downstairs in my kitchen, and I play in my room upstairs, located about 20 feet horizontally and 15 feet vertically from the modem , (not sure if that affects my internet speed inside my room or not). 

If I do purchase one of these routers, I don’t think I’ll be able to reach a USB cord from the modem to the router itself. 

So with all that said, can someone tell me the best option? I desperately need a change in internet speed. 

28 minutes ago, Texloh said:

*Excuse my lack of computer knowledge in advance.

I am considering buying the RX500, (or really any of NETGEAR routers, just haven’t made my mind up), but I’m not sure one of these routers will actually substantially boost my internet connection. 

I’m a competitive gamer on Xbox, and the need for quicker internet speed is aggravating me more and more everyday. I’m also wanting to begin Twitch streaming, but I know I need a decent internet speed for that- which I do NOT have :(

I’m constantly lag spiking at least 1-2 times in a single match, and I’ve been looking into buying a new WiFi extender, and as a passionate, nerd for video games, the NETGEAR RX500 quickly caught my attention. 

When I download video games, updates, DLC, etc, my download speed varies around 1-6 Megabytes per second. My modem is located downstairs in my kitchen, and I play in my room upstairs, located about 20 feet horizontally and 15 feet vertically from the modem , (not sure if that affects my internet speed inside my room or not). 

If I do purchase one of these routers, I don’t think I’ll be able to reach a USB cord from the modem to the router itself. 

So with all that said, can someone tell me the best option? I desperately need a change in internet speed. 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The XR500 is a great router and the XR700 is the top of the range one. The XR500 will serve you well but gaming over wifi on another router will not stop your spikes as that is inherent  when gaming and cannot be avoided. You need to game wired for the best performance. Have you considered powerline adaptors? A good set of pwerline adaptors and a good router such as the XR500 will transform your gaming. A Modem does not connect to a router via usb but by ethernet. 

Only the XR500 and XR700 have the dumaOS on them which is fantastic for gaming and getting games near to your location. 

Hi, thanks for the warm welcoming and reply! 

I do not have power line adaptors but am considering buying them.. will those and a NETGEAR router actually “transform” my gaming, even considering the fact that my internet speed is slow already? (I ask this because I’ve read on some websites that a WiFi extender is almost useless when pairing it with a slow internet)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Texloh said:

Hi, thanks for the warm welcoming and reply! 

I do not have power line adaptors but am considering buying them.. will those and a NETGEAR router actually “transform” my gaming, even considering the fact that my internet speed is slow already? (I ask this because I’ve read on some websites that a WiFi extender is almost useless when pairing it with a slow internet)

Welcome to the forum! Which games do you mostly play? It's easier to give an answer once we know that.

• Administrators

It definitely works with Destiny 2. We even have a profile for the Geo-Filter for Destiny that will apply our recommended settings for the game. Battle Royale games will also work with the Geo-Filter. Traffic Prioritization will also ensure your game is prioritized.

9 hours ago, Texloh said:

Okay, thanks so much! Will definitely be buying a product soon

powerline adaptors need to be on the same electrical loop so bare that in mind.........example if a fuse blows in a plug downstairs does it trip the circuit breaker upstairs? If not, then they are on different loops and therefore not suited. If they are then I fully stand by my statement that they will transform your gaming if you use them compared to gaming wireless. They are not as good as gaming straight to a router via ethernet but they are better than wireless gaming. I have them in my home. Your electrical wiring needs to be of good quality too.

What speeds are you supposed to be getting from your isp? Also what is your base ping and what connection type do you have to your home?

I’m not sure my “fuses are suitable,” because I’m not sure how to tell when a circuit break is “tripped.” Also, I have no idea what speeds I’m supposed to be receiving from my ISP, although my mom and I were talking about dropping our current internet pretty soon because of the slow internet AND it’s a monthly fee, compared to some modems I’ve looked at that seem to be the better option, (thinking about the Netgear CM600). 

My ping is normally 105-140 when I play games like Fortnite. 65-75 on a good day, but rarely does that occur.

& what exactly do you mean by connection type? 

(Again, sorry for my lack of internet/technology intelligence )

• Administrators

I would just get a powerline see if it works and if not return it as that indicates the circuit issue mentioned. If you connect directly to the modem when no one is using the internet that will give you an idea of the speeds you should be getting. That is quite high, where are you located? He's referring to Fibre, ADSL etc.