Severe Wifi Speed Drop

EricSe7en

Hi, 

I noticed recently that my wifi was dropping every now and again. I ran a speed test today and I'm getting between 0-3mbps for both upload and download. 

I switched from my R1 back to my ISP router and I'm getting 50+ down and around 20up, so the issue isn't there.

I noticed there was firmware 1.3 was available, I downloaded and installed that. It's still the same, sadly.

I've reset things multiple times, and left them off for up to 10 minutes, I just don't seem to be able to fix it.

Can someone help me out please?

• Administrators

Hi Eric - that's an odd one, but should be easy to solve. Could you check this please:

1. Is Share Excess disabled (unchecked) in >QoS >Bandwidth Allocation ? Click the Hamburger menu in the top left corner of the panel to check this. If it is disabled, please enable it
  2. If that's not the answer, could you disable QoS. Go to Anti-Bufferbloat and click the menu again. Choose to disable QoS and click proceed at the warning message. Then rerun the SpeedTest and see if that solves it

If step 2 solves it, please follow this guide to get everything working: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-speeds

If it's not solved, let us know.

Morning,

Still experiencing issues. I did what you suggested, but it's made no difference. I'm currently getting around half the speed through my R1 that i'm getting through my Sky router. (i've just seen on some other threads, this half speed thing is something others are experiencing too?)

I did find changing the channel gave me a small increase in speed, but I still don't understand why there's such a large difference in speeds?

16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay can you do this please:

1. Connect via ethernet
  2. Disable the WiFi completely
  3. Reboot from the interface
  4. Enable the WiFi
  5. Reboot from the interface after 2 minutes
  6. Do a speed test

All done.

I tested my speed when connected with through ethernet, it was 65 down.

I retested when I completed the steps and switched back to wifi, I was back to 26 down.

I'm still getting around 50+ down when connected by wifi to my sky hub.

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, EricSe7en said:

All done.

I tested my speed when connected with through ethernet, it was 65 down.

I retested when I completed the steps and switched back to wifi, I was back to 26 down.

I'm still getting around 50+ down when connected by wifi to my sky hub.

I reckon it's possible something went wrong when you upgraded the router. Maybe try downgrading, following the instructions in the email you received. You could run a speedtest on the old firmware while you're there to check that out, then upgrade again and run a speed test again.

4 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

I reckon it's possible something went wrong when you upgraded the router. Maybe try downgrading, following the instructions in the email you received. You could run a speedtest on the old firmware while you're there to check that out, then upgrade again and run a speed test again.

Ok, how do I downgrade?

Do I just install the first version of DumaOS you guys sent?

• Administrators

I believe Jack was referring to the old R1 firmware here: 

Just downgrade the same way you upgraded old DumaOS to newest version. Don't forget to clear cache/cookies after upgrade so you can access the interface, then follow Jacks instructions

Ok, I did what you suggested - 

Downgraded to old R1, and then upgraded back up, first the original DumaOS you sent out, then the upgrade.

I tested at each time, the range was between 19.5-23.2 down.

I tested my Sky hub after the upgrade too, I'm still getting 50+.

But...

There's now a new problem. I can't access the interface. I get the sign in box, and admin/password isn't working.

I restarted the R1, I've cleared cookies and cache too,  but still user name/ password aren't working.

It's just getting worse!

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The username/password is admin / password.

So the speeds were consistently lower just using the R1. Have you tried testing with different ethernet cables connecting the R1 to Sky hub and R1 to PC? 

admin/password doesn't work. I can't access the interface at all, not through wireless or wired.

Yes consistently lower on the R1 using wifi. If test while I'l wired into the R1 i'll get 60+ (I did it about 10 minutes ago to check), if I connect wirelessly to the sky hub, I get 50+. I don't think I've ever had more than maybe 30 down using the R1 wifi.

• Administrators

Do a factory reset using the button in the back by holding it for 20-30seconds and it will be admin / password.

Okay so wired is good so the router is getting the correct bandwidth. Move any devices that use a wireless signal (headphones, phones etc) about 3 feet away from the router, does that improve? Also disable the WiFi on the Sky hub itself.

Ok.

I've done all of this, there's no real improvement.

I've moved the R1 about 6 feet from the Sky hub, it's about as far as I can get it and still be able to keep them connected.

I disabled the wifi on the sky hub.

Test results were the same as previous. I moved my laptop to the same room as the R1 so I was about 2 feet away from it and there's a small improvement up to 28 down, but it's still pretty shocking compared to what I'm getting through the Sky Hub.

• Netduma Staff
17 hours ago, EricSe7en said:

Ok, I’ll give it a go tomorrow after work.

Thanks for the help this evening, appreciate it’s not very easy over a forum like this. 

Cheers Eric, let us know how it goes :)

Ok, I have no idea what a TX rate it, but I googled it and downloaded something called Wi-Fi Scanner 4.2.

This is showing the available rate at 57.8mbps and the max rate at 144.4mbps

A ran a new speed test and I'm currently getting 6 down 😕 

• Administrators

Thanks for doing this. Could you try two more things:

1. Use a different speedtest site: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

2. Change the channel again (or have you tried all of them now, from 1-11)

10 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks for doing this. Could you try two more things:

1. Use a different speedtest site: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

2. Change the channel again (or have you tried all of them now, from 1-11)

I'll do this today.

I've also ordered new ethernet cables and I'll move the R1 to a different room.

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, EricSe7en said:

I'll do this today.

I've also ordered new ethernet cables and I'll move the R1 to a different room.

Sweet, they sound like the right steps to take. We'll go from there if it doesn't work out!

All done guys...

Channel Down Up 
Sky 11 64.1 19.46
R1 1 11.26 12.39
R1 2 20.29 14.51
R1 3 24.03 16.72
R1 4 19.08 15.88
R1 5 16.5 8.46
R1 6 6.96 9.4
R1 7 17.85 11.54
R1 8 17.68 17.06
R1 9 27.3 14.78
R1 10 29.3 16.16
R1 11 23.31 15.55
R1 11 24.87 17.82

Here's the results. I tested my Sky hub first, then the R1 on every channel. 

I tested channel 11 twice, the second time I changed the Sky Hub to a different channel to make sure there was no interference.

These are all wifi result.

Next??

• Administrators

Thanks for trying this. One final attempt - could you take a screenshot of your QoS page (might need two screenshots to capture everything). Then post the results on here please. 

I've not done anything to it since updating. Speeds are as they were before the factory reset, so I didn't see a point in configuring it?

Edit - I've just configured it properly, and using the sliders does appear to restrict the speed as you'd expect.

I even tried giving 100% to just my laptop and testing that, but I still got the same results.