XR500 behind ATT Fiber (5268ac)

I recently switch from Spectrum to ATT fiber as I wasn't getting a very consistent bandwidth and now I'm having a nightmare of a time on ATT trying to figure this out.

As we all know ATT hardware doesn't have a true bridged mode and the best thing they can offer is ip passthrough or in this case something they call DMZ+ that shares the public IP with a router behind it. 

I've followed tutorials and have successfully had this work, however, if I go in the XR500 and change something like put a Xbox console in or out of DMZ on the router, It will throttle my speed by about 1/5th to 1/10th of the speed I should be getting. 

If I leave it alone it seems to work fine, ping is low/stable, speed around 900/900, but once I change something on the router side it throttles down and I have to redo the setup within the modem. i.e. clearing device list within modem, putting the router back into dmz+ and disable some features on the mode side such as block ping and stealth mode.  Is there something I'm missing?

• Administrators

Hi Pinnskii - what exactly do you mean by 'change something'. Just putting a console in the DMZ of the router, or something else?

Generally, you should be fine with a combo of UPNP and port forwarding on your XR500.

Pinnskii

i have the same ATT fiber service with the same RG(Pace 5268ac)

all you need to do is put the RG in DMZplus mode & turn off the WIFI on the "RG", you shouldn't have to mess with any other setting on the RG, also please note that the RG lease time in DMZplus mode is 10min, in my case this causes some of my devices to disconnect from the "router" every 10min, so i had to change the "router" to a static ip on the INTERNET SETUP page, the IP gets pre-filled when "RG" is in DMZplus mode, just have to click the radio button & change, i do not have a static IP from att, however my IP has not changed in 3yrs, so i don't have issue if there was a power outage or the RG/router reboots

1. Open a browser on a computer that is directly connected to the RG.
  2. In the address bar, enter http://192.168.1.254.
  3. In the GUI select Settings, then Firewall, and then Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ.
  4. Under Select a Computer, click the device name or IP address of the device you wish to put in DMZplus mode.
  5. Select the Allow all Applications(DMZplus mode) radio button.
  6. Select Save.

as the Admin pointed out you shouldn't have to place the console in DMZ on the router

10 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi Pinnskii - what exactly do you mean by 'change something'. Just putting a console in the DMZ of the router, or something else?

Generally, you should be fine with a combo of UPNP and port forwarding on your XR500.

To be honest, I'm not sure that making changes is exactly the trigger. I had it happen randomly during use a second ago too.

7 hours ago, AreTeaGee said:

Pinnskii

all you need to do is put the RG in DMZplus mode & turn off the WIFI on the "RG", you shouldn't have to mess with any other setting on the RG, also please note that the RG lease time in DMZplus mode is 10min, in my case this causes some of my devices to disconnect from the "router" every 10min, so i had to change the "router" to a static ip on the INTERNET SETUP page, the IP gets pre-filled when "RG" is in DMZplus mode, just have to click the radio button & change, i do not have a static IP from att, however my IP has not changed in 3yrs, so i don't have issue if there was a power outage or the RG/router reboots

3. In the GUI select Settings, then Firewall, and then Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ.
  4. Under Select a Computer, click the device name or IP address of the device you wish to put in DMZplus mode.
  6. Select Save.

as the Admin pointed out you shouldn't have to place the console in DMZ on the router

I can get it to work using this method, however, it will throttle my US/DS to 50/100. I have to mess with some of the other settings to get full speed. Un check Stealth mode, Ping blocker etc. 

So are you saying it renews the DMZ every so often?

• Netduma Staff
15 hours ago, AreTeaGee said:

Pinnskii

6. Select Save.

These tips are excellent, awesome guide. Thanks for helping out!

7 hours ago, Pinnskii said:

To be honest, I'm not sure that making changes is exactly the trigger. I had it happen randomly during use a second ago too.

I can get it to work using this method, however, it will throttle my US/DS to 50/100. I have to mess with some of the other settings to get full speed. Un check Stealth mode, Ping blocker etc. 

So are you saying it renews the DMZ every so often?

If you mess with other settings to get your speeds again, are you able to retain those speeds or do they drop again after you change settings / after some time? In other words, can you get it to a state where changing everyday settings on the XR500 like the Geo-Filter doesn't make your speeds drop? That ultimately seems to be the goal; seems like this ATT modem is crap at handling secondary routers.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:53 AM, Netduma Jack said:

These tips are excellent, awesome guide. Thanks for helping out!

If you mess with other settings to get your speeds again, are you able to retain those speeds or do they drop again after you change settings / after some time? In other words, can you get it to a state where changing everyday settings on the XR500 like the Geo-Filter doesn't make your speeds drop? That ultimately seems to be the goal; seems like this ATT modem is crap at handling secondary routers.

Not really I've followed the tutorial above several time from other places and can get it to work each time. This time I followed and the speeds seem to be stable, the didn't change over night, but when I fired up my xbox, it's now showing a double nat issue

• Administrators

Try following the NAT guide again - then go to QoS and Disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat's options. (Click proceed at the warning message when you disable).

Do you then get full speeds? If so, we can help you configure your settings so speeds aren't compromised.

I do get full speeds when I disable, and I can successfully operate the QOS sliders now with out problems. The issue seems to be something times out and it will randomly throttle my connection down + I begin to get double Nat or it will just throttle down. It seems to be on the RG, because I can successfully get everything to temporarly work again by going into the RG and repeating the steps, and I can leave the xr500 completely alone. Just plug it back into the RG once I mess with the RG and speeds are back up. Maybe something to do with firewall rules on the RG? I'm attaching a snapshot of what I can change in there

rules.PNG

2 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Try following the NAT guide again - then go to QoS and Disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat's options. (Click proceed at the warning message when you disable).

Do you then get full speeds? If so, we can help you configure your settings so speeds aren't compromised.

see above, forgot to quote

• Administrators

I can't see anything specifically in that screenshot that would cause an issue like that.

Under DMZ does it give you the option for putting the IP in? If so, when you repeat the steps are you putting in a new IP each time? If so set a static IP on that router for the XR500 and it should stay the same and therefore shouldn't need to go through those steps again

17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I can't see anything specifically in that screenshot that would cause an issue like that.

Under DMZ does it give you the option for putting the IP in? If so, when you repeat the steps are you putting in a new IP each time? If so set a static IP on that router for the XR500 and it should stay the same and therefore shouldn't need to go through those steps again

I set a static IP on it and it will still throttle down for some reason randomly, even without me adjusting anything. I'll go back into the RG and redo everything and its back to new. When I go into the RG to repeat the process, I'm not putting in a new IP each time. The public IP from the ISP gets assigned to the xr500, and won't allow me to reset when I have a static ip on the XR, I simply switch it to static after the RG assigns it to the XR. It's the same each time though.  If i don't have it dynamic mode, when I redo everything, the RG won't let me put it in DMZ+. 

PC connected directly to the RG= equals no throttle when this occurs. It's something about hows it talking to the XR500 

I can even keep my setup XR>RG>PC and go into the UI of the RG and run the speed test at the unit and it's getting full speeds

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In that case in the XR500 Internet Settings mirror the static IP information you've set as well and just to be safe set a static IP on the PC you usually test on. 

Okay, so it just did it while I was play on xbox and I checked the logs this time in the RG. I see something different around the time it kicked me. it say node "my public ip" is up and all of the other times during the day that my connection was working in this setup it read node"my public ip" is down

Could this tell us something?

• Administrators

I don't think so - that shouldn't affect it (but I might be wrong). Have you raised a case with NETGEAR directly? They might be able to send you a debug firmware to help fix your problem. Can you reach them here if you haven't done so yet:

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

On 11/24/2018 at 10:32 AM, Netduma Admin said:

I don't think so - that shouldn't affect it (but I might be wrong). Have you raised a case with NETGEAR directly? They might be able to send you a debug firmware to help fix your problem. Can you reach them here if you haven't done so yet:

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

I haven't, but knock on wood.... It's been approx 48 hrs and so far so good. I did do things a little differently this time and used Areteegea's tip. After a little research a ton of people have suggested that it could have been ATT's most recent FW update, but who knows. If it stays stable for a while, I might do a little write up on the order of the process and exactly how to do it. It's not as easy as the tutorial on ATT's website suggests