Constant issues-XR500

I’m at my whits end here. I’ve had nothing but problems since I bought this thing(for almost $300!). The first issue that has plagued me was the internet disconnect happening once a day, conveniently while I was at work and couldn’t troubleshoot it for my gf. So I made sure I had the most current firmware and did a factory reset, after searching the forums for procedures that seemed to work for people. I thought that solved it, but according to my gf who is now helplessly at home while I work, that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

The issue today was that our amazon echo would tell the weather but not activate the Philips hue that is hardwired to the router. I thought it was maybe that the Xbox was in instant on so the router was throttling bandwidth from everything else. After I had her power off the Xbox and reset the router it’s now having the no internet issue again. W.t.f. This router replaces a 10 year old+ router that hadn’t been updated in years and it worked far more reliably than this! I’m obviously very frustrated, because when it works, I love it. But with my gf being home from work a solid 4 hours before me, and us going on vacation soon, relying on a pet cam and Philips hue, I’m not sure I can devote any more time to troubleshooting.. again! /rant

any suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

I just rebooted my modem for the 2nd or 3rd time and it has now reconnected to internet. 

It took a while though, I would get white led, then it would turn orange, now finally back to white. While exciting and I’m glad I can game tonight, it is most inconvenient. Any ideas what might be going on?

7 hours ago, Cypher13 said:

I just rebooted my modem for the 2nd or 3rd time and it has now reconnected to internet. 

It took a while though, I would get white led, then it would turn orange, now finally back to white. While exciting and I’m glad I can game tonight, it is most inconvenient. Any ideas what might be going on?

regarding your amazon echo and philips hue........I have hive active heating which allows me to control my heating remotely. If i lose connection or I reboot my router then it stops working until i power cycle the hive hub. I find this works the same on other routers I tested so it does not seam to the the XR500/700 ( i have both routers). It just means the hub needs power cycling so I assume that the the hue lighting has a hub unit also which may need power cycling. 

As for your router keep loosing connection I cannot see why your router would behave like that unless your docsys modem was resyncing for some reason. You could try running a pingplotter test with and without the XR500 connected and see if your having spiking issues and post your results here. Your modem is a good quality 1 aalso.

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, Cypher13 said:

I'm sorry you've had so many issues. You're one of the unluckiest users I've seen around the forum - hopefully you get some luck this time around.

When your Internet drops out, do you always check your ISP status? Is it possible that the source of your issues could lie with outages in your area? (I realise this never happened previously, but ISP's can always change in area quality over time).

I'm guessing you've tried all the basic stuff like replacing your Ethernet cables etc. Do the LED's on your Modem change when your Internet drops? Do you receive Internet access through your Modem directly when it goes down?

Also one last thing (sorry if any of this is repeated from previous threads!) did you contact Netgear support over this, and were they any help? The wireless capabilities were built largely by them, so they tend to be good at troubleshooting drop-outs.

When I first experienced the internet disconnection issue, I thought maybe it was an outage so I spent about a half hour with spectrum troubleshooting, there were no outages in my area (I dislike spectrum but their uptime is typically really good in my area). I think I’ve narrowed it down to an issue between my modem and the router. I just don’t know what the issue is. When I got home last night and began troubleshooting I found I had indeed turned off QOS and Geofiktering the night before after my gaming session, so that is not actively the issue. When I have the issue, I can remover the XR500, hook up my old linksys router and be back online in mins, so the modem seems to be functioning correctly. I dug into my settings a little deeper last night (I’m by no means a wiz when it comes to networking) and turned on IPv6 and turned off upnp. Following that I rebooted the router and still had the issues, so I rebooted my modem for the 2nd or so time and it finally reconnected. I am still at work currently and the gf is working late as well so I can’t report on the status currently but it was still connected this morning when I left the house.

12 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

regarding your amazon echo and philips hue........I have hive active heating which allows me to control my heating remotely. If i lose connection or I reboot my router then it stops working until i power cycle the hive hub. I find this works the same on other routers I tested so it does not seam to the the XR500/700 ( i have both routers). It just means the hub needs power cycling so I assume that the the hue lighting has a hub unit also which may need power cycling. 

As for your router keep loosing connection I cannot see why your router would behave like that unless your docsys modem was resyncing for some reason. You could try running a pingplotter test with and without the XR500 connected and see if your having spiking issues and post your results here. Your modem is a good quality 1 aalso.

This is the most confusing part for me, now granted I’m taking this particular information from my gf who is most definitely not a technology person. The hue has never required me to reboot the hub following an outage, because it is hardwired it has always just.. worked. By the time I got home amazon echo was also not working, I performed the above to fix. I thought maybe it was a QOS issue throttling my other devices because the Xbox was technically on, but later found I had turned that off after gaming the night before. I’m interested to see if turning on ipv6 helps the situation (didn’t realize it didn’t default ON). Thanks for the responses so far will report back later!

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, Cypher13 said:

Well. So far so good! Perhaps there was a conflict from not having ipv6? I will refrain from saying problem solved for a couple days but I’m cautiously optimistic! Thanks

You know what Cypher this could be it. I need to make a note of that - I'm not sure if IPv6 is working correctly on some XR500's if I recall. I thought maybe that was patched out but maybe it wasn't. Keep us updated with this, I'll check the status on IPv6 with our developers and see if they know anything.

Guest Killhippie
On 11/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, Netduma Jack said:

You know what Cypher this could be it. I need to make a note of that - I'm not sure if IPv6 is working correctly on some XR500's if I recall. I thought maybe that was patched out but maybe it wasn't. Keep us updated with this, I'll check the status on IPv6 with our developers and see if they know anything.

I though IPv6 does not work with DumaoS antibufferbloat, Jack. Or was that sorted?

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, Killhippie said:

I though IPv6 does not work with DumaoS antibufferbloat, Jack. Or was that sorted?

I'm not sure if that's been sorted yet - I guess this thread is a testament to it still being present. It's a Netgear issue since it's related to the settings, but quite a niche thing. We'll see if it gets fixed soon or not :)

14 hours ago, Cypher13 said:

I’m not sure if it was IPv6 or upnp, but I haven’t had any issues since, I’m at work currently but was just able to remotely access the Philips hue. I’m back to enjoying using the xr500! Definitely looking forward to that cloud update though. I had seen some others having internet dropping issues as well perhaps something for those people to try again. Everything seems to be happy now. Thanks all.

Epic, very glad IPv6 sorted it. I do think it's IPv6, I think the issue with it is still ongoing. Hopefully that can get fixed in an update, but since it's quite a niche issue (believe it or not) there might be more major concerns that are taking priority. Thanks for letting us know, have a great time gaming :D