Urgent * Turn Off IPV6 *

KindaBusted

Just as a heads up I've noticed that having IPV6 on causes issues.

Mainly that Xbox One will choose IPV6 over IPV4 making the QOS system useless.

I have a video that will be out soon @ ScottsGameRoom on YT showing this in more detail.

Having IPV6 on was causing lag spikes in COD Blops4 and other games.

* I didn't show the spikes in the video.

However if you want to test yourself turn on IPV6 find a server on the Geo-Filter and ping it then do a Xbox Detailed Network Test.

The ping times will spike.

Turning off IPV6 and testing the same server  the spikes go away.

I recommend that NetDuma Staff make a pinned post so people don't turn on IPV6 and have a bad gaming experience.

Hope this was helpful.

Have a great day :)

Watch my video:

Xbox Live is built on IPv6... this doesn't make any sense to me. If there's anything wrong with this router and IPv6 I'm going to guess it's on the Netgear side because their firewall blocks IPv6 ICMP which is needed to make it work better. All Netgear routers have this disabled for "security" reasons when it shouldn't be. If you ever try running an IPv6 test with a Netgear router it will 100% of the time fail on the ICMP portion of the test. People on Netgear forums have tried to communicate this to them, but they won't listen.  See here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/IPv6-ICMP-Filtered/td-p/1088538

Nothing is wrong with the router.

I'm just letting everyone know that IPV6 doesn't work with DumaOS QOS and there for you won't have the advantages of Anit-BufferBloat or QOS.

Also as mentioned I see major lag spikes if IPV6 is left on.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Netduma has stated before that IPv6 doesn't go through there QoS. Only IPv4 does if I recall correctly. As far as lag spikes are concerned using IPv6 makes sense because if you have IPv6 enabled those packets are being filtered and that for sure will cause lag spikes as well. Not to mention not having any QoS also on the IPv6 side. I know one may think there is no problem but there is an issue. Its basically just hidden by having IPv6 disabled. Sooner or later IPv6 will be a thing. The question is will Netgear actually fix this..  Xbox is really pushing for everyone to use IPv6. I noticed that my XR500 doesn't even have a Native IPv6 option. Which I sure hope they add. ASUS had this along while back. I do wish I could load Duma OS on my ASUS..lol. Id do it in a heart beat!

On 11/8/2018 at 12:03 PM, ScottsGameRoom said:

Just as a heads up I've noticed that having IPV6 on causes issues.

Mainly that Xbox One will choose IPV6 over IPV4 making the QOS system useless.

I have a video that will be out soon @ ScottsGameRoom on YT showing this in more detail.

Having IPV6 on was causing lag spikes in COD Blops4 and other games.

* I didn't show the spikes in the video.

However if you want to test yourself turn on IPV6 find a server on the Geo-Filter and ping it then do a Xbox Detailed Network Test.

The ping times will spike.

Turning off IPV6 and testing the same server  the spikes go away.

I recommend that NetDuma Staff make a pinned post so people don't turn on IPV6 and have a bad gaming experience.

Hope this was helpful.

Have a great day :)

You should post this in the bo4 section  so everyone can see it. I'm going to try it. Cause bo4 just absolutly blows for me. Half a second behind in pretty much every game.

On 11/8/2018 at 4:05 PM, ScottsGameRoom said:

Nothing is wrong with the router.

I'm just letting everyone know that IPV6 doesn't work with DumaOS QOS and there for you won't have the advantages of Anit-BufferBloat or QOS.

Also as mentioned I see major lag spikes if IPV6 is left on.

Also Scott are you turning it off in both wan and lan? Thanks!

Turn off IPV6 on wan & lan for the R1.

Personally I haven't had any issues with the R1 or XR500.

I live in Colorado and can connect to Cali, TX, & Washington servers for cod blops4.

I just make sure at all cost that I get into the Washington server and everything plays just fine with lower ping than the other servers.

If it connects me to a P2P game I GTFO with the quickness.

Setting Ping Assist 2.0 at 25ms on the R1 also made things feel better.

Hopefully we get the R1 milestone features such as Ping Assist 2.0 on the XR500 soon!

On 11/24/2018 at 6:43 PM, purpleandgold33 said:

I have duma os on the r1 so its different than the xr500

Sorry, you are wrong........dumaOS has been designed to work across all 3 routers and any new features can be rolled out across these routers easily.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:07 PM, ScottsGameRoom said:

Turn off IPV6 on wan & lan for the R1.

Personally I haven't had any issues with the R1 or XR500.

I live in Colorado and can connect to Cali, TX, & Washington servers for cod blops4.

I just make sure at all cost that I get into the Washington server and everything plays just fine with lower ping than the other servers.

If it connects me to a P2P game I GTFO with the quickness.

Setting Ping Assist 2.0 at 25ms on the R1 also made things feel better.

Hopefully we get the R1 milestone features such as Ping Assist 2.0 on the XR500 soon!

good video scott, however I would not use BO4 as a basis for a benchmark on how good a quality it plays. BO4 has major issues which are highly published online regarding connection problems as well as their new netcode. I have switched over to BF1 and a 64 player game plays like silk with superb hit detection, no sponging and beautifully illustrated maps. But you are correct about IPV6 and not ot use it.