Torrents and traffic prioritization

I have been using buffer-bloat set to automatic when high priority traffic is detected and its been working great. 

My only problem is that when i download a torrent it detects it as high priority limiting the amount of download bandwidth it can grab. In most cases when i start a torrent i want it to take all my bandwidth so this has become a problem for me. I made sure that the custom ports i set up for high priority didn't match the port setting of the torrent client but the problem still persists. turning off anti buffer-bloat every time i start a torrent is something id like to avoid. Is there any way to stop the torrent client from being read as high priority?  

• Administrators

Hi there - I imagine your torrent is set to use UDP packets, which is probably covering many different ports. Can you find the option in uTorrent to toggle it to use TCP instead?

Alternatively, set your port to something outside the typical ranges used by games.

Do you have your Pc set as a game console in QoS as a workaround for the manual traffic rule error on xxx.32? Try disabling that as it covers a lot of ports. If it fixes it try setting utor to Port 15xxx as that's a range I don't see used by games often.

• Administrators
20 hours ago, azza10 said:

Alternatively, set your port to something outside the typical ranges used by games.

Do you have your Pc set as a game console in QoS as a workaround for the manual traffic rule error on xxx.32? Try disabling that as it covers a lot of ports. If it fixes it try setting utor to Port 15xxx as that's a range I don't see used by games often.

Great suggestion! Thank you.

1 hour ago, Overclocked said:

Changing port number on TCP helped. Sometimes the router detects high priority only for a second but this does trigger the anti bufferbloat briefly as well and i think the blizzard battle.net app is the culprit . Anyways, problem solved thanks guys ! 

Good news. Thanks for letting us know.

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, azza10 said:

I've noticed blizzard launcher does trigger high priority when downloading using the dumaos classified games list. I have reported this error. I run uTorrent with no issues.

Thanks for letting us know Azza :D