Packet loss when pinging R1.

Skaarah

• Administrators

Okay so I looked back and didn't see if you were on the latest version or not which is 1.03.4, if you scroll to the bottom of any page on the R1 you should be able to see your version, follow these instructions carefully if you're on anything less than 1.03.4 http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=manual_update 

Putting upload to 100% do you still get the issue as well?

• Administrators

Hi Skaarah, if you set anti-flood to 100% I assume you see the packet loss go away? That is how congestion control works in the upload direction. In then next ugprade we will allow manual priority queues so that you can minimise packet loss for different traffic patterns. 

If you're interested lookup codel, RED, and other active queue management schemes. Dropping packets is a signal for sender to slow down. By setting it to 100% you tell it to behave like a normal router and you end up getting massive queues and a lagfest. 

Please try and limit the upload in your torrent client so it is not maxing out your upload bandwidth.

So in utorrent or what ever you use put to say 50% or 70% up and retest for us please.

• Administrators

This is probably a bug with the modems EEE standards. I'll compile you a temporary version of the software with that feature disabled.

Can you in the meantime, can you access the modems interface? If so can you disable energy-efficient ethernet standards?

This is probably a bug with the modems EEE standards. I'll compile you a temporary version of the software with that feature disabled.

Can you in the meantime, can you access the modems interface? If so can you disable energy-efficient ethernet standards?

I don't know of anyway to do that. I connected my computer directly to the modem to find out it's IP. Tried browsing, telneting, and pinging it with no luck.

• Administrators

Please no one else upgrade to this version, this is specifically to see if eee bugs in modem is the issue. There are no new features in the upgrade file here.

Ok well I haven't tested this, because I can't. I don't have a faulty modem. But can you try upgrading to this file by carefully following the instructions here:

1. download this file and save it somewhere: http://netduma.com/firmware/eee.sig
  2. on the router click upgrade
  3. click advanced
  4. untick check version
  5. Make sure preserved settings is ticked. This is very important.
  6. Then click choose file and select the eee.sig file you just saved
  7. Click upgrade
  8. Wait 3 mins or so then your router is upgraded

On this version I've updated the driver to always disable energy-efficient Ethernet, it appears that there are a few faulty modems out there that don't adhere to it correctly. Let me know if this resolves the issue please. 

• Administrators

Hi, sorry as I said its difficult to debug as I don't have the modem with said issue. Can you try upgrade again using the steps above but please use this file instead: http://netduma.com/firmware/disable-eee.sig

Does that fix it?

Thanks

• Administrators

Could you allow remote access to your router and let us know your IP. I'll check your settings, I don't understand how you can get packet loss in the first hop? Is this test done using a wire everytime? 

Also can you see how many connections your torrent has when you do the test please.

Hi Skaarah, if you set anti-flood to 100% I assume you see the packet loss go away? That is how congestion control works in the upload direction. In then next ugprade we will allow manual priority queues so that you can minimise packet loss for different traffic patterns. 

If you're interested lookup codel, RED, and other active queue management schemes. Dropping packets is a signal for sender to slow down. By setting it to 100% you tell it to behave like a normal router and you end up getting massive queues and a lagfest. 

Hi Iain,

I ordered a netduma R1 and should get it tomorrow according to the tracking :)

Do you know if the Atheros 8327 driver support BQL (Bytes Queue Limit) in order to add support for codel in the futur ?

have you modified the driver to support it ? as i don't think it is supported yet on any linux release.

• Administrators

Thanks for purchasing. 

No I haven't modified the driver, in fact the chip on the rb951g-2hnd actually misses quite a few hardware features unfortunately. But codel fq_codel is part of the reactive algorithm. Are you a network researcher yourself? 

Archived