The FPS Controller? Is there a better option?

Dillinger

Now that you read the title, and are ready to post a link to your favorite Scuf/BCC/NiftyModz of XIM device, please don't.  This isn't that type of thread.

Here's the issue, and I want to see if there is anything out there now, or on the horizon, that might make my gaming experience better.  

I played a ton of sports when I was a kid and young adult.  My right hand, non-proficient hand, has had my thumb dislocated I don't know how many times, but it's been a lot.  As such, I have almost a dead space in my movement, were my thumb kind of just clicks past a valuable center piece of real estate when using a right analog stick.  I compensate by doing a lot of my focused aiming by getting the sight at height, and using a strafing motion with my left thumb.  It works, but it's not great.

What I am wondering is if there is another option out there.  For all you PC Master race guys, Yes.  I have a XIM 4, and I have used it though I am not entirely proficient.  I honestly don't like using it because I FEEL like I am cheating unless I turn the Aim Assist off.  No judgement on anyone else who uses one, I think it's a very good product, I just don't personally like using the device.

I saw a guy who was talking on YouTube about the new Oculus VR devices (and the like) and his hope was that someday that device would entirely take the position of using a right analog stick.  Where you look is where you look to run or face to be able to move, unless you ADS and then you aim.  Don't know how they would do hip-fire, but that isn't in my wheel house, and I don't really care as long as it works.

I suspect that is a pipe dream for now, but it got me wondering if there were any garage shops out there working on things like this that we, the consuming public, haven't seen yet.

We have a very technical and diverse membership here that I lean on frequently, so I am coming to my fellow [Duma] Brethren to see if they are aware of anything cool that is out, or coming down the pike.

Thoughts?  Wishes?  

Thanks for reading!

JD

The Grifta caught my eye a while back when it launched a Kickstarter. I've not followed the project for some time now but believe they've managed to hit their targets and are going into production.

It's a modular controller that's highly customizable.  Pull bits off and swap'em around kind of thing for right or wrong-handed people.  The right stick may still be an issue for your thumb, no mention of how customizable that area is, but does look to be a more natural grip. More akin to a pistol than a gamepad.

The intriguing feature, which may benefit you, is the Antler attachment.  It tracks translational and rotational movements via three IR LEDs for pointing and shooting. Similar tech to what Oculus Rift is using. How accurate, practical or compatible is anyone's guess, but looks promising   :)

I've talked myself into ordering one after looking again, and will update if you're interested?

Yeah, I agree. And that seems to be one of a few unanswered questions at the moment.  Their site is heavy on pics, but light on specs, unfortunately.

If they're hoping to attract serious gamers, priced from £80-£130 suggests they are, I would expect delay/response times to have been considered.  The best we can do on consoles is 60fps.  So in theory, anything around 16ms should feel good.

Another possible alternative JD.  Could you run a joystick through XIM, and use it as right stick?

Good call JConnor.  As long as it has sufficient DPI, that's probably the most viable option at present.

Not coming to a console near you anytime soon, but these would be sweeet!
ycNGb90m.jpg

VR really needs to hurry up and get its butt here before I'm too old to play with it  :mellow:

I have a Scuf for Xbox One and 360, an Imagine Custom and a Battle Beaver for just the x1. Without a doubt I'd go with Battle Beaver.

http://battlebeavercustoms.com/

- They have all the custom options the others have as well as increased stick tension for better accuracy.

- You'll get your controller far faster than any of the other two. With Scuf and IC I waited a month and a half. With Battle Beaver I ordered on Sunday and got it Friday.

- The price is better

I also like how Battle Beaver uses buttons on the sides of the controller rather than paddles in the middle. It's ergonomically superior to Scuf

I will say that xim controllers are by far the best considering the native difference between aiming on consoles and pc. I'm sorry if I offend, but I think using a xim controller is cheating.

I used to play fps on pc so I know the difference. If you're playing on console using pc controls while everyone else is using a controller, you are at a distinct advantage. The advantage isn't nearly as pronounced using a scuf or battle beaver

The Grifta caught my eye a while back when it launched a Kickstarter. I've not followed the project for some time now but believe they've managed to hit their targets and are going into production.

It's a modular controller that's highly customizable.  Pull bits off and swap'em around kind of thing for right or wrong-handed people.  The right stick may still be an issue for your thumb, no mention of how customizable that area is, but does look to be a more natural grip. More akin to a pistol than a gamepad.

The intriguing feature, which may benefit you, is the Antler attachment.  It tracks translational and rotational movements via three IR LEDs for pointing and shooting. Similar tech to what Oculus Rift is using. How accurate, practical or compatible is anyone's guess, but looks promising   :)

I've talked myself into ordering one after looking again, and will update if you're interested?

Now see!  This is what I am talking about.  Next level tech.  That is actually pretty cool.  I don't think it would help with my specific issue, but I LOVE the innovation and this gives me hope for the future.  I am going to follow this project now, so many thanks Double D!  ^5

Yeah, I agree. And that seems to be one of a few unanswered questions at the moment.  Their site is heavy on pics, but light on specs, unfortunately.

If they're hoping to attract serious gamers, priced from £80-£130 suggests they are, I would expect delay/response times to have been considered.  The best we can do on consoles is 60fps.  So in theory, anything around 16ms should feel good.

Another possible alternative JD.  Could you run a joystick through XIM, and use it as right stick?

I didn't really think of modifying the XIM aspect, so another really good suggestion.  Oh look, JConnor might be on to something right here....

Dillinger:

What about connecting a TRACK BALL (mouse) to the Xim?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-000806-Trackman-Marble-Mouse/dp/B001F42MKG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435426653&sr=8-3&keywords=track+ball

Track balls use every finger except your thumb for major movement.

Now that is a REALLY cool idea that I haven't considered, but I bet it would help with that aspect of my gaming.  I wonder if I could re-purpose an old Missile Command track board-like controller and have more of an "arcade feel" to an arcade style shooter like CoD.

This demands follow up.  Good looking out JConnor!  

Good call JConnor.  As long as it has sufficient DPI, that's probably the most viable option at present.

Not coming to a console near you anytime soon, but these would be sweeet!
ycNGb90m.jpg

VR really needs to hurry up and get its butt here before I'm too old to play with it  :mellow:

That looks cool as hell right there.  It probably won't help my issue, but damn!  MUST SEE THIS IS ACTION!!

Many thanks for the responses thus far guys!

I used a Splitfish Shark setup for a while on ps3, mouse for right chuck for left. I worked ok if your good with a mouse but I'm not sure about compatibility with Xone or PS4.

@ltr7 - Are you able to use their version of the D-Pad to call in your streaks?  Or is it just for the modifying fire rate and crap?  I guess I am asking of the features associated with the D-Pad can be changed from "modding" the game to regular use inventory like cycling streaks?

I will say that xim controllers are by far the best considering the native difference between aiming on consoles and pc. I'm sorry if I offend, but I think using a xim controller is cheating.

I used to play fps on pc so I know the difference. If you're playing on console using pc controls while everyone else is using a controller, you are at a distinct advantage. The advantage isn't nearly as pronounced using a scuf or battle beaver

meh, i play with controllers on PC all the time... never feel at a disadvantage and my scores reflect that.

The dpad worked just as on your regular unit.

Nice,  Much obliged.  I ordered one up and will be doing a Duma Forum review of it and a new Battle Creek Custom controller vs. a Scuf (from a player who uses a Scuf almost exclusively).

Looking forward to the testing.

• 3 weeks later...

I used a Splitfish Shark setup for a while on ps3, mouse for right chuck for left. I worked ok if your good with a mouse but I'm not sure about compatibility with Xone or PS4.

A little update here for those that have read previously.

I have now purchased and played with the Battle Beaver Custom version for the XBox 1 and I absolutely love it.  They are definitely my preferred manufacturer of this type of controller over the Scuf and ahead of the new XBox Elite variant.  I will be using the BB version when the Beta drops unless things change between now and then*

*which brings me to this update.  On a whim, I ordered the Splitfish Shark FX that ltr7 was talking about.  I was a little skeptical, but some of the reviews looked good and I liked the idea of "half a controller" for my left hand, but adding the mouse ability for my left, where my aiming problem is due to my R thumb.

I have only unpacked the unit, handled it, and made Pew-Pew noises to see the feel and weight.  I like it so far.

Initial Impression:  The thing feels pretty good.  I do like the left handed "nun-chuck" style controller with a stick and a couple of trigger style buttons.  It feels familiar.  The mouse is unique in that they replicated the (4) Xbox color buttons on the side of the supplied mouse that, for me, has a lay out that is familiar to muscle memory.  Using the west button for reloading is still somewhat in the same "muscle memory" location, though as stated I need to start testing it to see how it works.  The fact that I can map the melee kill activation into the nun-chuck, and have it flash the knife as I flash the controller, is pretty cool.  I look forward to trying the hell out of that, but I do flash the knife a lot, both as a weapon and a statement after a tough kill.   :P

Testing:  I am going to run some tests against Bots tonight/tomorrow, with the intent to get some game play familiarity, fine tune the settings, and play a few games of multiplayer to see how I do.  I suspect I am going to have to grind a bit, so I want to give myself some time and not get discouraged going 4-15 my first hour of game play.   :huh:   If I can be something more than a walking target and score streak generator for the other team, my GOAL is to play MP late into the evening on Friday night as Dillinger will be home alone and left to his gaming devices. :D

I'll post up some review thoughts and maybe some scores if things go decent, but either way, I'll let you guys know how it played for me and what I think.

What features did you get on your BB controller? I got the two back buttons, Smart Triggers and Tension on the sticks!

I opted for the turned Aluminum sticks instead of plastic, otherwise I got the same build as you.  I found the stick tension to be a BIG help with my thumb problem on my right hand, but it will take a little time to get used to the added pressure required.

BBC Smart Triggers are the shit.  They activate in about 1/2 to 2/3rd's of the travel distance as the XB1 Scuf variant with their smart trigger option.

The underside buttons, on mine, are more sensitive than the XB and XB1 Scuf models, so that is going to take some using to get accustomed to the lighter touch it takes to activate.  With the Scuf lever, I can kind of rest my fingers on them and not worry about the involuntary pressure when I panic knife or shoot at a tough head-glitch, but with the BB, you jump instantly...LOL

Let me know what you think when you get yours.  Mine arrived pretty quick, less than 10 days, and I really liked how it felt and played.  Looking forward to seeing your review in comparison. :)

Oh no I have one since after I got the Duma in December. Now if I try to use my Scuf One I am all over the place because the sticks are more loose than the Lady of the Night!

Oh no I have one since after I got the Duma in December. Now if I try to use my Scuf One I am all over the place because the sticks are more loose than the Lady of the Night!

I noticed the difference in the sticks immediately.  After talking to a guy from BBC, and discussing my problem with the right thumb stick, he recommended getting the increased tension and it really made a big difference.  I got XB 360 tension on the left stick (the XB1 is going to be a lot less) and then upped the right stick to their maximum and it works really well for me.

How long did it take you to get used to the buttons on the bottom versus the Scuf paddles?

Archived