R1 issues - Another day, another problem

Hello Netduma,

since I week Im experiencing that the UI of the R1 is freezing or it taking long to load for example the congestion control site. I recorded it with my phone to show it to you guys. Sometimes it takes almost for minutes. Further it shows me jitter spikes up to 1000ms. But when i restart the R1 they are gone, but I got still a bad connection. Yesterday this happened, look at the images. Because the connection was so bad I made a pingplotter test and got nothing but packet losses. I couldnt restart the R1 because it froze, so I had to unplug the power cable. Back on the jitter spikes disappeared but the connection was still trash. If it was my line why would the spikes disapper after restarting the R1? And this R1 is new, I got it in April because I was still in warranty and the previous had some issues too. Can somebody tell me what I can do? Thx in advance

Pingplotter_google_com.jpg

Pingplotter_google_de.jpg

Pingplotter_twitter_com.jpg

R1 issues.jpg

• Administrators

Hi Joe - this is a hard one to isolate because it could be the R1, but my gut suspects you may have a general line problem. The next time you get these locks, are you able to connect your PC directly into your modem (not the R1) and do these Pingplotter tests. If they are spiking then you know it's a line issue or a modem issue.

If they look stable, could you then quickly connect to the R1 and repeat the test to see what it's doing.

DumaOS will be out very soon so we can get you on that new OS soon. That should help with any sluggishness or locks you are experiencing on the UI.

Finally - do make sure the R1 is in a ventilated area where it won't overheat. 

I have had the same issues and it was driving me nuts I thought it was the NetdumaR1 because my ISP said the wireless ISP modem didn't show any errors. In the end it was my ISP modem that wasn't perfectly in bridge mode even though the main menu on both our ends said it was! All my LAN ports still worked, and so by accident, I found out the bridge mode wasn't functioning correctly and after a bridge mode re-activation fix everything works perfectly again!

On 9/22/2018 at 3:46 PM, fakkel said:

I have had the same issues and it was driving me nuts I thought it was the NetdumaR1 because my ISP said the wireless ISP modem didn't show any errors. In the end it was my ISP modem that wasn't perfectly in bridge mode even though the main menu on both our ends said it was! All my LAN ports still worked, and so by accident, I found out the bridge mode wasn't functioning correctly and after a bridge mode re-activation fix everything works perfectly again!

Hi fakkel,

thanks for your response. The funny thing is I changed my ISP few months ago from cable to DSL and improved my ping from 35 to 18ms ping to e nearby server, but still though I cant play core modes on cod ww2 even on blops3 unplayable. Its not lagging or only sometimes. But shooting players 10 times in the back and they can turn around and drop me with 3 bullets is no fun to play anymore. My issues is that I have the Fritzbox from my ISP and it has no DMZ or bridge mode, so I can put the R1 in there. I have now moderate nat type in the games, in both ww2 and blops 3. Before I always had open nat types on both. The only way I get open nat type with the Fritzbox is when I connect the PS4 directly into the Fritzbox and set it up as exposed host. If somebody could help me to put the Fritzbox in bridgemode would be awesome. Thanks in advance

On 9/22/2018 at 12:47 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Hi Joe - this is a hard one to isolate because it could be the R1, but my gut suspects you may have a general line problem. The next time you get these locks, are you able to connect your PC directly into your modem (not the R1) and do these Pingplotter tests. If they are spiking then you know it's a line issue or a modem issue.

If they look stable, could you then quickly connect to the R1 and repeat the test to see what it's doing.

DumaOS will be out very soon so we can get you on that new OS soon. That should help with any sluggishness or locks you are experiencing on the UI.

Finally - do make sure the R1 is in a ventilated area where it won't overheat. 

Thanks man. Im gonna try it. I never had this issue that the R1 freezes like this and its a new one I got in April. Already exchanged one R1 because it was faulty. I just want to play core modes man :(. Im tired of playing hardcore all the time. Im talking with people online they dont even have a Netduma R1 and dont even know about it and still have a nice gameplay. But I cant do shit even with the R1 and have a ping of 18ms. My R1 is in a ventilated area, its on a lowboy.

• Netduma Staff
4 hours ago, JOE1305 said:

Thanks man. Im gonna try it. I never had this issue that the R1 freezes like this and its a new one I got in April. Already exchanged one R1 because it was faulty. I just want to play core modes man :(. Im tired of playing hardcore all the time. Im talking with people online they dont even have a Netduma R1 and dont even know about it and still have a nice gameplay. But I cant do shit even with the R1 and have a ping of 18ms. My R1 is in a ventilated area, its on a lowboy.

You'll probably find Joe that some people just have lower standards for their gameplay. The kind of people who get Netduma R1's are the kind of people who know what lag feels like more than most and pay closer attention to their connection. You'd probably play on the consoles of these people claiming they have a good connection, only to find it's even worse than yours.

Definitely recommend doing a line test using Pingplotter if you're serious about your connection. Here's the clincher as well - it's not physically possible for the Netduma to give you -worse- gameplay if it's correctly set up. All it's doing is routing traffic - the ability to filter hosts will only make your gameplay worse if you've only got bad hosts inside your radius. The right set-up there will give you a lower ping guaranteed. The Congestion Control features can't make your connection worse - they're literally designed purely to reduce latency and prioritise gaming traffic. There can't be any discrepancy there.

At the end of the day routers route traffic coming from upstream - from your modem and your line. If the line is bad, you're just routing all those ping spikes etc straight to your console. Pingplotter is the way to go.

On 9/20/2018 at 10:10 AM, JOE1305 said:

Hello Netduma,

since I week Im experiencing that the UI of the R1 is freezing or it taking long to load for example the congestion control site. I recorded it with my phone to show it to you guys. Sometimes it takes almost for minutes. Further it shows me jitter spikes up to 1000ms. But when i restart the R1 they are gone, but I got still a bad connection. Yesterday this happened, look at the images. Because the connection was so bad I made a pingplotter test and got nothing but packet losses. I couldnt restart the R1 because it froze, so I had to unplug the power cable. Back on the jitter spikes disappeared but the connection was still trash. If it was my line why would the spikes disapper after restarting the R1? And this R1 is new, I got it in April because I was still in warranty and the previous had some issues too. Can somebody tell me what I can do? Thx in advance

Pingplotter_google_com.jpg

Pingplotter_google_de.jpg

Pingplotter_twitter_com.jpg

R1 issues.jpg

That's a problem of Fritzbox. Happens even with the 7590. That's why I don't use Fritzbox for gaming anymore. My Setup for gaming is the Draytek Vigor 130 + Netduma.

5 hours ago, JOE1305 said:

If somebody could help me to put the Fritzbox in bridgemode would be awesome. Thanks in advance

It's not possible anymore. AVM dismissed this feature 4-5 years ago.

1 hour ago, Netduma Jack said:

You'll probably find Joe that some people just have lower standards for their gameplay. The kind of people who get Netduma R1's are the kind of people who know what lag feels like more than most and pay closer attention to their connection. You'd probably play on the consoles of these people claiming they have a good connection, only to find it's even worse than yours.

Definitely recommend doing a line test using Pingplotter if you're serious about your connection. Here's the clincher as well - it's not physically possible for the Netduma to give you -worse- gameplay if it's correctly set up. All it's doing is routing traffic - the ability to filter hosts will only make your gameplay worse if you've only got bad hosts inside your radius. The right set-up there will give you a lower ping guaranteed. The Congestion Control features can't make your connection worse - they're literally designed purely to reduce latency and prioritise gaming traffic. There can't be any discrepancy there.

At the end of the day routers route traffic coming from upstream - from your modem and your line. If the line is bad, you're just routing all those ping spikes etc straight to your console. Pingplotter is the way to go.

Hello Jack,

thanks for your response. I didnt say that Netduma R1 gave me bad connection, I just wanted what I experienced. I followed every instruction given by the forum or the netduma guides and nothing helped at all. I am sure that my R1 is set up correctly cause I am using pingplotter for a long time and also dslreports for my tests. Im going to make more tests the next days on pingplotter with the Fritzbox and the R1 to see if its a line problem or not. I was playing on a dedicated server with 18ms ping, actually I should melt people but no. I know, I know, if the line is bad than the lower ping wont help me either :)

• Netduma Staff
1 minute ago, JOE1305 said:

Hello Jack,

thanks for your response. I didnt say that Netduma R1 gave me bad connection, I just wanted what I experienced. I followed every instruction given by the forum or the netduma guides and nothing helped at all. I am sure that my R1 is set up correctly cause I am using pingplotter for a long time and also dslreports for my tests. Im going to make more tests the next days on pingplotter with the Fritzbox and the R1 to see if its a line problem or not. I was playing on a dedicated server with 18ms ping, actually I should melt people but no. I know, I know, if the line is bad than the lower ping wont help me either :)

Ah right sorry, I thought you might've tested using Pingplotter already. My bad!

It's strange, I think most of the folks on this forum would agree. You should be melting on 18ms, there's no reason why you shouldn't. The causes and solutions for this type of issue go around in circles, in really it amounts to issues with the game servers and lag compensation more often than not. if your line is stable and you have a low ping, that's really all you can hope for from a router. I'm just glad you're getting that much.

People testing this issue often find that the optimal ping in some games can be upwards of 40ms, so they literally use the Netduma to get a technically -worse- connection. They believe the lag compensation for some games like WWII is borked and broken, so low ping players feel outgunned by higher ping opponents. Whether it's true or not is subjective and different with every case - we personally don't see those results in our office. It's all down to where you're located and how the game feels like treating you that day!

17 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Ah right sorry, I thought you might've tested using Pingplotter already. My bad!

It's strange, I think most of the folks on this forum would agree. You should be melting on 18ms, there's no reason why you shouldn't. The causes and solutions for this type of issue go around in circles, in really it amounts to issues with the game servers and lag compensation more often than not. if your line is stable and you have a low ping, that's really all you can hope for from a router. I'm just glad you're getting that much.

People testing this issue often find that the optimal ping in some games can be upwards of 40ms, so they literally use the Netduma to get a technically -worse- connection. They believe the lag compensation for some games like WWII is borked and broken, so low ping players feel outgunned by higher ping opponents. Whether it's true or not is subjective and different with every case - we personally don't see those results in our office. It's all down to where you're located and how the game feels like treating you that day!

Thanks for your response. Just a last question. Is it possible to play p2p on cod ww2? I would try to mind the dedis just to check out how the game would feel like?

5 minutes ago, JOE1305 said:

Thanks for your response. Just a last question. Is it possible to play p2p on cod ww2? I would try to mind the dedis just to check out how the game would feel like?

Theoretically yes, practicly no. You could ban every server but the matchmaking would throw you anyway on a dedicated server even if you banned it or in worst case you don't find any game.

3 minutes ago, RiotControll said:

Theoretically yes, practicly no. You could ban every server but the matchmaking would throw you anyway on a dedicated server even if you banned it or in worst case you don't find any game.

Ok thx bro

What is the model number of your Fritzbox to see how and if we can get bridge mode to work? I do honestly believe that if you line is fine and the NetdumaR1 give strange readings like that, it is probably the way how your ISP modem is connected to the NetdumaR1 (setting wise). The only thing that I blame on the NetdumaR1 is that if you ISP modem fucks up, the NetdumaR1 directly rolls over and dies with it, with all sorts of weird UI glitches, Connection issue glitches, etc. Those issues mostly sent us in the wrong direction and almost always point to the NetdumaR1 itself. I helped a lot of people who had small issues with their Netduma's and at least 20 people who had what you can call extreme internet problems. But 100% of the time it wasn't the Netduma, being faulty! Of course, a device can always be faulty, at least in my experience that probability is really slim.